BOOKS: Christ the Lord Out of Egypt - Ann Rice

  • Thread starter Thread starter lukefan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lukefan

Guest
I picked this book up in an airport for something to read. I’ve read about half of it. Anybody have any thoughts? Even though it’s fiction I’m enjoying it.
 
I read it last year. I thought it was good, nothing anti-Christian. I’d never really thought much about those “missing” years of the Holy Family’s life, so it was interesting to think about.
 
I enjoyed it, specially the descriptions of the family and life of people living at that time.
 
Didn’t Ann Rice have a conversion experience or something? I seem to recall reading about that some time ago, that now she is either Christian or Catholic.

~Liza
 
Didn’t Ann Rice have a conversion experience or something? I seem to recall reading about that some time ago, that now she is either Christian or Catholic.

~Liza
She grew up Catholic, and I’ve read she’s had a “reversion” in the last few years.

cecilia
 
I read the book and enjoyed it as historical fiction. There were some aspects that I found troubling. The author does change some elements of Jesus’ life that we believe to be true .

WRT the author she has partially reverted to the church in my opinion. Last I heard she was still not in union on certain matters such as homosexuality.
 
Hey - I give her credit for as far as she HAS come!! With the grace of God, perhaps she can come back all the way, but in the mean time, I’m not ready to kick her to the curb just because she’s still working some things out with respect to her reversion.

~Liza
 
I loved it! I’ve been an AR fan for years though. SO glad she came home! She’s said all her books from now on will be religious. This one did have a lot of elements in it from the Gospel of Thomas, etc., but it’s good fiction. Just don’t take it as gospel truth and it’s a good read.
 
She writes of her reversion in her preface to the book. She had been an atheist for a long time, her husband was one too.
 
I loved the book, like some others I have been a fan for many years.

Anne has indeed come back, but she is still on the line on a few issues. Having a son that is gay has her on the “outside” of Church teaching on homosexuality. Considering that she was a hardcore atheist for 30 years, I am not surprised she is still unclear on some points. Give her time and prayer and I think we will see her back fully soon. Its great to have someone of her talent writing about our Lord.
 
ANY novel regarding Christ will HAVE to take some fictional extrapolations–especially one that is “first PERSON”

The Infancy “gospels” are are good a source as any for this—NOT canonical but as Anne is writing it (I’ve read 1st two chapters) not heretical.

The Gospels DO tell us Jesus “grew in age and wisdom”–ie he was not a “know it all”—now how much He actually knew about His Person/Godhood is not explictly revealed–so grant Anne some slack
 
…
Anne has indeed come back, but she is still on the line on a few issues. Having a son that is gay has her on the “outside” of Church teaching on homosexuality. Considering that she was a hardcore atheist for 30 years, I am not surprised she is still unclear on some points. Give her time and prayer and I think we will see her back fully soon. Its great to have someone of her talent writing about our Lord.
Having a son who is gay puts her on the “outside” of Church teaching??? My question to you is, how do you know what she believes? Where has she told her fans about her belief on homosexuality? One thing that bothers me is why so many of us Catholics are critical about fallen away Catholics who have come back home. Truly, I’m happy that she has come to a point in her life that she now sees the light of our Lord! Let’s talk positive!
 
Just finished reading all of the book–and CAN recomend it.
 
I enjoyed it, and I want to borrow it back from my wife. It did have some errors, but that’s part of the fun for me–finding the errors 😃 The errors didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the book.

DaveBj
 
as long as it didn’t potray them in a bad light, I think the book would be OK. i would like to read it too.
and I’m glad to hear Rice has come backto the Church . That’s good news.
 
The best part of the book was her personal story of how she came back to the Church. If she can come back when surrounded by Atheists in Academia then anyone, with the help of the Holy Spirit, can come to know Christ and His Church. With prayer, work through love, and the Holy Spirit, all of academia can be brought back to Christ.
 
I saw this in the book store and put it down. Based on the recommendations on this thread I’m going to read it. Small distractions don’t bother me if they’re small. A good example is “The Nativity” movie. There were some things that were not accurate but not enough to ruin the movie for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top