Mo Hayder is a woman.
So I found out when I looked her up on Amazon to check out the books.

Figures… LOL.
The title of one of her books is now called “The Devil of Nanking” but when I read it the title was “Tokyo”.
Another one I read was “The Treatment”.
And then, the newest: “Pig Island.” There is something about her books… that is kind of “haunting”… minor details that suddenly turn out to be very important in a very disquieting, yes horrifying sort of way…
Thanks! I put one of hers on my wish list. I think it was
Birdman? But I’ll have to go put the ones you mentioned on the list with a note they were recommended.
I think the book by King I saw at the library was the newest one, “Liz’s Stroy” or something
“Lisey’s Story”. That’s not the newest, though. I forget the title…I can’t believe I forget the title! Yes, I can…

Good thing I have a wish list. LOL. “Lisey’s Story” was not one of my favorite King books. I think that if you aren’t familiar with his work, this book wouldn’t make too much sense. I could be wrong, but it seemed there were ‘in jokes’ and references a fan would pick up on. Or maybe if you haven’t read his other works, you might like it better than I did.
I’m trying to think of what to recommend if you haven’t read King before. “The Shining” if you like books about hauntings. That is the only book that has ever scared me in my entire life. I has some gross things in it, but from the descriptions of Mo’s work (female…lol), it seems that you aren’t squeamish.

If you haven’t read it, but have seen the movie with Jack Nicholson, try to erase the movie from your mind. It was just so NOT the story King wrote.
“The Stand” is an epic story of good vs evil in a world desimated by a ‘super-flu’ that the government was testing for germ warfare. It’s a bit dated, but that’s ok.
“The Green Mile” is terrific. And with that I do like the movie. Of course, the book is always better.
Hey, thank you for your information on Stephen King!
You are welcome, and I’ll shut up now. There are so many more of his books I could recommend, but those, IMHO are the cream.
And I remembered…his newest is “Duma Key”.