Books on Apologetics

• Thread starter Thread starter mryan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mryan

I was getting a group of Catholics together to do a summer study group on Apologetics. Are there study guides / books that anyone might recommend (we are at the “novice” level). Thanks!

Yes! There is a multi-volume series by Father Frank Chacon and Jim Burnham calledBeginning Apologetics . It’s available online at several sites. We got ours at dads.org, Steve Wood’s site. It’s very informative and linked with the Bible, CCC, and the Jurgens books The Faith of the Early Fathers . Good luck in your venture.

Peace,
Linda

40.png
LindaS:
Yes! There is a multi-volume series by Father Frank Chacon and Jim Burnham calledBeginning Apologetics . It’s available online at several sites.
Linda is right on with the Beginning Apologetics books. Our small group when through all of them a year or two ago. It took a while, but it was good stuff. I’d suggest your local Catholic book store first, so we can keep those good people in business, and if there isn’t one around, CA also has them.

shop.catholic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/c-Apologetics_and_Evangelization.html?L+scstore+mszh1327ffbdbcbd+1126299104

Good luck!

John

“Catholocism & Fundamentalism” by our very own Karl Keating would be my number one choice for this topic.

Dave said:
“Catholocism & Fundamentalism” by our very own Karl Keating would be my number one choice for this topic.

I agree. The first part of the book is dated a bit but it is still an excellent read and different topics are addressed individually, which, would work well in a study group format. I also think the book has one of the best bibliographies done in the last 15 years.

In addition to the material already listed (Mr. Keating’s book and the Jim B series0 I have found the Patrick Madrid “Surprised by Truth” series (all 3 are good) to be very useful in understanding how others perceive the Church and which issues are usually theologicl bones of contention. Additionally the conversion stories usually include a deeper drill on some of these theological points and give a good apologetic foundation. As with Karl’s book, they probably are not good “study guides” but are good companion reading that will round out the Jim B material.

http://www.aquinasandmore.com/images/items/1688sm.jpg

A review at:
Aquinas and More
General Description: Bible Basics is a valuable resource for teachers and anyone who is interested in studying the scriptural evidence for Catholic teaching. It provides full-text scriptural references and commentary for nearly seventy essential doctrines of the Catholic Faith, and it contains concise explanations on the establishment of the canon of Scripture, the New Testament use of the Old Testament Deuterocanonical books, and an overview of the history of Scripture translations. All the basic elements of the Catholic Faith are here, each one amply supported and explained by Sacred Scripture.

Despite the campy cover, this book is packed with ammo for those addressing “bible-only” debaters.

Peace in Christ…Salmon

I would vote for “Catholicism and Fundamentalism” by Keating and “Catholic and Christian” by Alan Schreck. The series by Jurgens is good to have around because it’s often quoted in apologetic books.

“Unabridged Christianity” by Father Romero (sorry, first name escapes me) was helpful to me. It is written in a question and answer format. Has many diagrams that are helpful on some topics. Always sites scripture and the early church fathers on each topic. Also quotes other apologists.

Good Luck 👍

Dave said:

I aggree. When I converted here in Japan to the faith, I had almost no one to turn to. So I turned to Catholic Answers and Karl’s GREAT book you mentioned. It was hugh in my decision to become Catholic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back