E
Epistemes
Guest
Please recommend some books dealing with Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross.
Carmelite Spirituality is not just found with these two saints.Please recommend some books dealing with Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross.
I also recommend The Ordinary Path to Holiness, referred to in an above post, and described in a link from this page.Please recommend some books dealing with Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross.
Here’s a resource for you:Please recommend some books dealing with Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross.
I’m very fond of both:Please recommend some books dealing with Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross.
Thanks for the tip. I ordered the book. Are any of you aware of a complete works of St. John of the Cross with commentary. One caveat is that I am not looking for modern dissenting perspectives or perspectives that allow for new-age shallowness (i.e. modern eastern influenced centering prayer etc.). I am looking for a carmelite commentary that comes from believing heart and one who has likewise experienced union with Christ…Dear Epistemes,
One of the best books I have read dealing with Carmelite spirituality within the context of the whole Catholic Spiritual Tradition is The Ordinary Path to Holiness by Thomas Richard.
Dear Lifeisawesome,Thanks for the tip. I ordered the book. Are any of you aware of a complete works of St. John of the Cross with commentary. One caveat is that I am not looking for modern dissenting perspectives or perspectives that allow for new-age shallowness (i.e. modern eastern influenced centering prayer etc.). I am looking for a carmelite commentary that comes from believing heart and one who has likewise experienced union with Christ…
Thank you - can I ask if these sites contain any new age or squishy Catholicism? If no, maybe we could link to them from our blog.**St. Teresa of Avila **
The Life of St. Teresa of Avila: catholicfirst.com/TheFaith/CatholicClassics/StTeresa/life/teresaofavila.cfm
The Way of Perfection catholicfirst.com/TheFaith/CatholicClassics/StTeresa/way/wayofperfection.cfm
Interior Castle: sacred-texts.com/chr/tic/index.htm
St. John of the Cross
The Living Flame of Love: karmel.at/ics/john/fl.html
Ascent of Mount Carmel: ccel.org/ccel/john_cross/ascent.ii.vii.html
Dark Night of the Soul: ccel.org/ccel/john_cross/dark_night.html
Spiritual Canticle: karmel.at/ics/john/cn.html
Opus Dei spirituality (St. Josemaria Escriva - only saint I know of with both Mary AND Joseph in his name) is also a spirituality that I find very and highly powerful. I’m not very much advanced in reading his meditations and works, but, thus far, I find it enriching and simple to understand.
The Way of the Cross by St. Josemaria Escriva escrivaworks.org/book/the_way_of_the_cross-point-4.htm
I’m happy to help.Thank you - can I ask if these sites contain any new age or squishy Catholicism? If no, maybe we could link to them from our blog.
These have nothing to do with Carmelite Spirituality.I’m happy to help.
As far as I know, these are the original texts without editing - no commentary (except perhaps a preface) even, just the words of St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, and St. Josemaria Escriva themselves.![]()
![]()
![]()
Here are a few others:
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationmontfort.html
**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.
Diary of St. Maria Faustina Divine Mercy in My Soul saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS1.shtml
Your right. St. Louis Marie Grignon de Montfort might be considered Marian spirituality, closely associated with Carmelite spirituality given the patronage of Our Lady of Mount Carmel and the fact that His Holiness Pope John Paul II (the only pope that I know of who was a Carmelite) also embraced this spirituality.These have nothing to do with Carmelite Spirituality.
Just so people are aware, there is much more to Carmelite Spirituality than just Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross.
The above link to ICS publishing is a good one to go too.
Also check out the Carmelite Institute at this link.
carmeliteinstitute.org/
No problem - thanks for the clarification and the effort!Your right. St. Louis Marie Grignon de Montfort might be considered Marian spirituality, closely associated with Carmelite spirituality given the patronage of Our Lady of Mount Carmel and the fact that His Holiness Pope John Paul II (the only pope that I know of who was a Carmelite) also embraced this spirituality.
However, I was not bringing up any writings by others besides St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross to say they were Carmelite spirituality but only to provide links to other great and free online spiritualities that might be placed on a website. Perhaps I could have done it in a PM or email instead of a message on this thread but I thought it might be wise to do it in a public reply in case anyone else was interested. For those who were not interested, I am sorry if it is an inconvenience.![]()