BOOKS: The Purpose Driven Life

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mother_s_helper
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
King david had red hair and green eyes (so I imagine he had fairly light skin). Jesus is from the same people, so he didn’t necessarily have dark skin and eyes.
 
I enjoy the painting. I love portrays the strong and manly qualities of Jesus, showing him with a muscular and real body rather than a celestial weak and frail being. It is important for us to understand the human suffering of a human body. I also like the pictures around it that show that, although he was God incarnate. Lovely painting.

I also enjoy both icons and realistic artwork from around the world, which show Jesus and Mary or the Holy family portrayed in a particular culture. For instance I have seen Asian and African carvings side by side in a gallery which show them with a more African or Asian Appearance. It is a comforting reminder that Jesus is the savior to all people for all time. Whether it is historically accurate or not is beside the point. It is the message throughmost the artwork that is important. I also enjoy nativities from around the world. I have one made in Peru which portrays the holy family as Peruvian in appearance and dress with alpacas instead of cows.
 
40.png
Jayson:
King david had red hair and green eyes (so I imagine he had fairly light skin). Jesus is from the same people, so he didn’t necessarily have dark skin and eyes.
True, but From what I understand there is debate about it in the archaeological world, just from what I have read and seen in documentaries. I know from Mel Gibson’s interviews that he tried to do what he could to have Jim Cavezal “fit the appearance of the Jewish community in that culture at that time” They changed his eyes from blue to an amber brown, with computer graphics. How dark his skin is is relative, but I am guessing he would have more medium skin tone rather than pale, or dark African. I think the painting may be afrocentric so Jesus may look a little more African American than Middle Eastern Jewish. I know there have been artists who intentionally portray Jesus as an African American to make a statement that Jesus suffered to save all people. It isn’t my favorite, but I understand it. I lean more toward the traditional in my own personal taste.

I was just taking a stab at explaining the picture, but perhaps Pen can explain his own choice of art better since he posted it.
 
40.png
Peace-bwu:
I enjoy the painting. I love portrays the strong and manly qualities of Jesus, showing him with a muscular and real body rather than a celestial weak and frail being.
I’ve always wondered why the traditional depictions of Jesus show him as so thin and frail. Something tells me that a thirty year old first century carpenter would tend towards being more muscular.
 
Yes, but not overtly muscular. I think Jim Caviezel’s build would be pretty close to what Jesus would actually look like. I don’t think he was doing much carpentry during the last few years of his life.
 
40.png
Lapsed:
I’ve always wondered why the traditional depictions of Jesus show him as so thin and frail. Something tells me that a thirty year old first century carpenter would tend towards being more muscular.
Maybe more tanned too, after a life in the sun without sunscreen.

I think there was a tendancy throughout art history to try to portray Him in a way that shows both His Human and Divine Nature in one painting. For instance, there are some beautiful contemporary paintings done by a Morman Artist, they show Jesus or Mary doing ordinary human things. It is refreshing and inspiring to see Jesus with a very human body… on the other hand it is intentional to show Jesus this way because Mormans do not believe that he was God, so of course they would portray Him as only human.

Showing Jesus as both human and also portray his Divinity is a challenge. We won’t know until we see Him face to face! That is why icons were popular. It was built on the concept that the artist could never do the real Jesus justice, so the use of icons full of symbolism expressed certain truths to the reader. For instance the Icon of “Our Lady of Perpetual Help” Jesus is shown actually looking like a baby but the proportions are more similar to an older child this is to portray Jesus’ wisdom of who he is. It shows him with a shoe half off to show that the child Jesus saw what would happen to him and was so filled with fear that He ran to His Mother for her comfort and love, Perpetually loving Her Son and Perpetually helping us. There is much more symbolism running throught the icon, that I won’t blab on about, but Iconography is fascinating.
 
40.png
Jayson:
Yes, but not overtly muscular. I think Jim Caviezel’s build would be pretty close to what Jesus would actually look like. I don’t think he was doing much carpentry during the last few years of his life.
The body of the man portrayed in the poster’s artwork looks athletic but not like a body builder or anything. He’s no Arnold.
 
40.png
Peace-bwu:
I enjoy the painting. I love portrays the strong and manly qualities of Jesus, showing him with a muscular and real body rather than a celestial weak and frail being. It is important for us to understand the human suffering of a human body. I also like the pictures around it that show that, although he was God incarnate. Lovely painting.
I think of Jesus as strong and healthy. I have never seen any that make Him look like a body builder, but plenty to look like He has AIDS. I know He was humble, but except for His 40 days, He was never STARVING and malnutritioned!! I love the picture too, and I think He looks strong and handsome.
 
40.png
Peace-bwu:
It is refreshing and inspiring to see Jesus with a very human body… on the other hand it is intentional to show Jesus this way because Mormans do not believe that he was God, so of course they would portray Him as only human.
Your mixing up Mormons and JW’s (I’m an ex-Mormon). Mormons do believe that Jesus is God, though they understand God very differently. JW’s believe he was St. Michael the archangel.
 
40.png
Pensees:
I found the Purpose-Driven Life In reading this book, I have noticed some strange ideas. The strangest of all is his claim that when we die, it will not matter what doctrines we believed or what church we belonged to as long as we ‘love Jesus’.
NEWSFLASH This book was not written nor marketed as representing a Catholic perspective. That does not eliminate the possibility that a reader could nevertheless discern a few tidbits of wisdom from its contents. Moreover it is highly unlikely that reading it will mislead or undermine one’s faith.
 
I am reading it now…I find it good…and I think it will be a book to recommend to some of the male inmates. They are not always ready for more to begin with…

oh…I am in prison ministry…
 
I’ve heard a lot about this book and how it’s changed people’s lives. Anyone have any thoughts on it?
 
I’ve heard a lot about this book and how it’s changed people’s lives. Anyone have any thoughts on it?
I was steered away from “The Purpose Driven Life” and instead I bought “A Virtue Driven Life” by Fr. Benedict Groeshel as a book more in line with our Catholic values. Excellent book. Quick and easy to read. Makes good points. Highly suggest it.
 
My husband says that this book is anti-Catholic, however, the author claims that he is a Christian and is not anti-Catholic. What is the truth?

I have heard that Johnnette Benkovic gave a review of this book on her show “The Abundant Life”, however, I cannot find that review on the web. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks,
mcd921
 
Been a while since I read it. I wouldn’t say its ‘anti’ Catholic, exactly, but it starts with some assumptions about faith and salvation that are very, VERY evangelical.

I have a hard time believing anyone who doesn’t accept sola fide, born again-ism, and the like would get much out of it.
 
Well, I did a Google search on the Catholic perspectives of the Purpose Driven Life and the only thing worth looking at that I came up with was a Catholic book about The Purpose Driven Life.

Anyway, I agree with Sam Maloney. The book has some extremely evangelical views on salvation so watch out if you’re going to read it.

There for a while, it seemed like this book was quite popularly being studied by Catholic study groups. I think that is the proper context in which to study it. Especially if you have a priest participating. That way you are made aware of any heresies in the book as soon as they come up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top