Books?

• Thread starter Thread starter hk102003
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hk102003

Hey Everyone,

I’m new here so I hope this isn’t a post that’s already been done. This summer I think I’m finally going to have some extra time to read books other than the ones I’m required to read for school. Any recommendations? I don’t know many Catholic authors, but I have read Christopher West and Scott Hahn, but that’s about it.

Thanks! 🙂

Depends what you’re interested in. Theology, apologetics, fiction, conversion stories, Scripture studies, history, lives of th saints…?

I don’t have any particular prefrence as far as what I read about. I have been Catholic nearly all my life and I still feel like I don’t have as strong a basis in the fundamentals of the faith as I’d like so recommendations on any subject would be greatly appreciated 🙂

My favorite is probably: Where We Got The Bible: Our Debt to the Catholic Church by Henry Graham. If you’re looking for the history of the Church, A Short History of the Catholic Church by Jose Orlandis is excellent. You can get both of them from Catholic Answers, I believe.

Also, I’d recommend anything by our favorite apologist, the one and only Karl Keating… or anything by Mark Shea, such as By What Authority? An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition. Hope that helps!

I would recommend familiarizing yourself with some of the great Catholic authors, not just contemporaries. For instance, the Life of St. Antony of the Desert writen by St. Athanasius is a timeless classic that touches all Catholic throughout the ages.

I am reading Swear to God by Scott Hahn, and enjoying it considerably.

The Great Heresies, by Hillaire Belloc. Very insightful and , considering it was written 70 years ago, prophetic.

If you like historical fiction, Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather (?) is quite good.

For pure fiction, you might try Diary of a Country Priest by Georges Bernanos.

Story of a Soul by St. Therese is a great book!!

Imitation of Christ by Thomas Kempis
One of my guy friends called it “manly” 🙂

Socrates Meets Jesus by Peter Kreeft
Easy, quick read, but very interesting

Four Witnesses by Rod Bennet
good history of some of the frist great leaders in the church

*Confessions * by St Augustine
classically good book…especially the 20 pages discussing the concept of time 😃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back