Boston Diocese uses cash of closed parishes for everyday running expenses

• Thread starter Thread starter Kevin_Walker
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin_Walker

"BOSTON GLOBE - The beleaguered Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston is using funds from the closing of parishes to finance its general operations, a step that the archdiocese itself describes as undesirable but necessary because of its on-going fincancial crisis resulting from the clergy abuse scandal.

" ‘Every member of the finance council recognizes, and every good businessman recognizes you don’t sell assets to pay ongoing operating expenses, so that needs to be turned around, and that is what we are going to do,’ [Chancellor David W.] Smith said. ‘But the alternative is to close parishes in the inner city or not to supply services. So there was no viable alternative.’ "

Kevin Walker said:
"BOSTON GLOBE - The beleaguered Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston is using funds from the closing of parishes to finance its general operations, a step that the archdiocese itself describes as undesirable but necessary because of its on-going fincancial crisis resulting from the clergy abuse scandal.

" ‘Every member of the finance council recognizes, and every good businessman recognizes you don’t sell assets to pay ongoing operating expenses, so that needs to be turned around, and that is what we are going to do,’ [Chancellor David W.] Smith said. ‘But the alternative is to close parishes in the inner city or not to supply services. So there was no viable alternative.’ "

Kevin,
Has your parish been closed yet? Is it in danger of happening in the future?

40.png
Annunciata:
Kevin,
Has your parish been closed yet? Is it in danger of happening in the future?
No, the Gatey hasn’t been closed yet thanks to strong intervention by alumnus and our state rep Brian Walsh and a few other politicians. But they only delayed the inevitable since the cathedral size 1866 Gate of Heaven Church has been officially declared to be underutilized.

St. Peter’s Church near Broadway station has already been converted to a condo; and it will be particularly painful for me to have the Gate of Heaven Church, where I was baptized, received first communion, and made my confirmation, to be converted to a condominium. I already swore an oath in the late '80s never to set foot inside a condominium, and this would only make my neighborhood even smaller.

Kevin Walker:
No, the Gatey hasn’t been closed yet thanks to strong intervention by alumnus and our state rep Brian Walsh and a few other politicians. But they only delayed the inevitable since the cathedral size 1866 Gate of Heaven Church has been officially declared to be underutilized.

St. Peter’s Church near Broadway station has already been converted to a condo; and it will be particularly painful for me to have the Gate of Heaven Church, where I was baptized, received first communion, and made my confirmation, to be converted to a condominium. I already swore an oath in the late '80s never to set foot inside a condominium, and this would only make my neighborhood even smaller.
It’s all so hard to take…my parish is slated for possibly December of this year…unless a few other parishes in our Cluster can come up with some good reasons and alternatives, etc.😦

40.png
Annunciata:
It’s all so hard to take…my parish is slated for possibly December of this year…unless a few other parishes in our Cluster can come up with some good reasons and alternatives, etc.😦
The Cardinal Medeiros Center is slated for closure this June, so a lot of homeless guys are going to be dumped back on the street. At least it will be in June so no one will freeze to death. The effects of the homosexual infiltration of the Church, and tolerance for homosexuals as Priests, are being felt. Too bad the innocent must suffer to atone for the guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back