Bp Chaput Says: Retain Merry Christmas

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

Archbishop Charles Chaput of Denver has urged his faithful to “scrub” the expression “Happy Holidays” from the Catholic lexicon.
“We don’t celebrate a generic excuse for gift-giving,” he wrote in his latest column, published in the Denver Catholic Register . “We celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.”

“For the vast majority of Americans, Christmas has a distinctly religious, Christian identity rooted in Scripture. Publicly ignoring this fact is not a form of ‘inclusion’ or ‘tolerance.’ On the contrary, it’s a deliberate act of intolerance and exclusion against Christians,” he wrote.

The archbishop said that lumping Christmas together with seasonal celebrations devalues and marginalizes the sacred nature of Christmas, and reduces Christian influence in society. He commended Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper for his decision to maintain the “Merry Christmas” lights on City Hall, after citizens protested a former decision to remove them. He said such an incident would have baffled American Catholics only one generation earlier.

"…The archbishop reflected on 2004 as a “year of surprises for American Catholics and other Christians,” referring to the “hostile public debate” over “The Passion of the Christ,” the divisive political campaign, and “Scrooge-like attempts” to cut the word “Christmas” from public discourse. “No other religious community would be subjected to this kind of treatment — and remember, American Christians are in the majority,” he said.

The archbishop said there is a simple lesson in all of this for Catholics: “Separating our personal religious faith from our public life and actions doesn’t work. All that results is a smaller and smaller space where our religious beliefs are safe from criticism.
“Living that way is not discipleship,” he concluded, calling on his faithful to stand up and be counted. “That’s not the courage and confidence Jesus called us to when he told us to be ‘leaven in the world’ and to ‘make disciples of all nations.’”"

cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=33947

The more I hear and read about this guy, the more I am beginning to favor him a the next successor to St. Peter.

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
The more I hear and read about this guy, the more I am beginning to favor him a the next successor to St. Peter.
Forgive my ignorance, but there never has been an American bishop, has there??

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
Not yet…
lots of American Bishops… just not American Popeshttp://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

I work in a place where Christmas is ignored, it’s all ‘Happy Holidays’. It is a former Catholic hospital which used to be called ‘St. Joseph’s’.
I want to wear a badge or label or something that tells people it’s ok to wish me a Merry Christmas.
mgal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back