Breaking Sinful habits and reconciliation

  • Thread starter Thread starter whisper
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

whisper

Guest
Does anyone have advice on how to break a habit that’s also a sin? For me, it’s swearing. I swear every sentence I speak and in know it’s not good and i’m trying to stop but it’s so ingrained in my vocabulary it’s difficult to find alternative words. Which also brings me to my next question: is it still a sin when I accediently swear, and try to speak again with more appropriate language?

Also for those that participate in reconciliation how do you deal with confessing a sin that you know you’ll repeat in the future?
 
Does anyone have advice on how to break a habit that’s also a sin? For me, it’s swearing.
This is how I stopped swearing. For every swear word you say, recite one decade of the rosary and increase your Sunday Mass donation (I think I did $5 per swear word, but if you cuss in every sentence, maybe you should do a dollar. 😛).

I don’t think it’s a sin to use another word as a substitute, but keep in mind the intent: saying “Shoot!” to express frustration to (not at) someone is one thing. Saying “Fudge you!” though is another.
 
I discovered this in a Latin mass missal, back in the early fall. I was a little skeptical, but I added the Divine Praises to my daily prayers; once in the morning, and once at night. I have seen a drastic decrease in my use of swear words. Whether it’s power of suggestion, or divine intervention, I cannot say. I just know that it helped.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
1 - Try to avoid the occasions that you know will lead you to commit this sin.
2 - Use this as an opportunity to be patient with other people. Remember how easy it is to fall and how difficult it is to remain pure.
 
I just know that it helped
Proactive aiming at virtuous use of the tongue and thought.
Don’t stare at sin to try to avoid it;
Focus on the target of virtue to hit the Mark.

You found the target and your aim is steady.

I’m going to add the Divine Praises to my prayers.
 
Last edited:
So that is what the cake by my name is for… Thank you…
 
Every time you catch yourself swearing say 1 Our Father and 10 Hail Mary’s immediately. No matter who you’re talking to or with.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top