M
mellowcalico
Guest
I was wondering, is it okay to bribe my 5-year-old to go to Mass? Most times it’s not a question with her, she just likes to go to Mass with me and loves shaking hands with all the priests. Plus we always go on a mommy daughter lunch after Mass each week (it’s out little thing to do together).
But this past Sunday, we’ve had my in-laws staying with us (along with their daughter about the same age). They don’t go to Church (and neither does my husband who told me I probably shouldn’t take my daughter to avoid “drama”). Plus my daughter sulked at the idea of going to Church and not playing with her cousin. I considered not taking her, but felt badly about the idea and I decided to trust my gut.
So I bribed my daughter to go to Mass. We went early in the morning (so we’d leave when no one was awake yet and maybe be back before they got up–no missed play time) and I promised her we could buy doughnuts for everyone and surprise them. I feel badly about the bribe, but not as horrible as I would feel if I didn’t take her at all. She doesn’t really understand what’s going on during Mass the whole time, but at the same time, I don’t want to set bad examples.
But this past Sunday, we’ve had my in-laws staying with us (along with their daughter about the same age). They don’t go to Church (and neither does my husband who told me I probably shouldn’t take my daughter to avoid “drama”). Plus my daughter sulked at the idea of going to Church and not playing with her cousin. I considered not taking her, but felt badly about the idea and I decided to trust my gut.
So I bribed my daughter to go to Mass. We went early in the morning (so we’d leave when no one was awake yet and maybe be back before they got up–no missed play time) and I promised her we could buy doughnuts for everyone and surprise them. I feel badly about the bribe, but not as horrible as I would feel if I didn’t take her at all. She doesn’t really understand what’s going on during Mass the whole time, but at the same time, I don’t want to set bad examples.