Bringing the family into the CC

  • Thread starter Thread starter KimM
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KimM

Guest
I know that many here are converts to Catholicism.

Are there some good books that my husband and I could read together to learn more about coming into the Catholic Church.

My husband needs more info and a logical way to look at the differences between Protestantism and Catholicism.

Thanks,
Kim
 
Kim,

I’m in the process of attending RCIA. My journey from evangelicalism to a more sacramental theology was first started by reading, Evangelical is Not Enough, by Thomas Howard . Also, I believe Karl Keating has a book titled, Catholicism and Fundamentalism that may be helpful. But I would definitely read the Thomas Howard book.

rusty
 
My favorite reference guide is “This is our faith” by Pennecock I like the old red 1988 version it is very plan. You can usually buy it at a half price book store for $4-$12

Also RCIA ( Adult Sunday School for New Catholics ) is usually open and welcoming to visitors
 
I know that many here are converts to Catholicism.

Are there some good books that my husband and I could read together to learn more about coming into the Catholic Church.

My husband needs more info and a logical way to look at the differences between Protestantism and Catholicism.

Thanks,
Kim
Can you briefly tell us a little about his (and maybe your) background? It would help us offer more appropriate recommendations.
 
I would also suggest Crossing the Tiber by Stephen Ray. Scott Hahn’s book *Home Sweet Rome *is also interesting, but I’d suggest steering clear of some of his more recent writings. We also converted from the Protestant tradition, so feel free to e-mail any particular questions your family may have. We don’t have all the answers, but I’m sure we asked the same questions. God bless!
 
Here’s our story… hope it is helpful.

I was baptised and confirmed Catholic. My family was not devout and I did not receive much teaching as to what the Church is all about. When my husband and I decided to marry, we were “re-baptised” at a Baptist church and then married there.

We are now members of a LCMS. My husband was originally baptised and confirmed in a Lutheran church before said “re-baptism.”

We both want to do the right thing for our eternal souls and for our precious children.
 
Here’s our story… hope it is helpful.

I was baptised and confirmed Catholic. My family was not devout and I did not receive much teaching as to what the Church is all about. When my husband and I decided to marry, we were “re-baptised” at a Baptist church and then married there.

We are now members of a LCMS. My husband was originally baptised and confirmed in a Lutheran church before said “re-baptism.”

We both want to do the right thing for our eternal souls and for our precious children.
Typically

Met with the Marriage ministry for either a waiver or an appointment to convalidate your marriage (must be completed before communion & conformation). If you or he were married before you will have extra time in this step.

Sign up and start attending RCIA

Request copies or confirmation letters to verify your baptisms
 
Here’s our story… hope it is helpful.

I was baptised and confirmed Catholic. My family was not devout and I did not receive much teaching as to what the Church is all about. When my husband and I decided to marry, we were “re-baptised” at a Baptist church and then married there.

We are now members of a LCMS. My husband was originally baptised and confirmed in a Lutheran church before said “re-baptism.”

We both want to do the right thing for our eternal souls and for our precious children.
Thanks for the background information.

I too would recommend “Rome Sweet Home” for the both of you to read together, as well as Thomas Howard’s book. For him I would second the recommendation for “Crossing The Tiber,” and for you “My Life On The Rock” by Jeff Cavins.

If one or both of you, perhaps in your Baptist days, have been exposed to a lot of negative misinformation about Catholicism, I would then recommend “Catholicism and Fundamentalism,” by Karl Keating. It clears up a lot of myths about Catholics.

As far as catechetical books that will help you to solidly learn the Catholic Faith, I recommend a good Catholic translation of the Scriptures (my personal preference is the RSVCE), a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and Peter Kreeft’s “Catholic Christianity,” which is keyed to the Catechism.

I’d also recommend you talk to your local parish to see what it would take, sacramentally, to rejoin the Church and to bring your husband in. I’m afraid it won’t be easy and hassle-free, but when the stakes are high and the rewards for you and your family are great, nothing is, so don’t get discouraged.

God bless your family, hang in there, and good luck.

Vince
 
I have talked with a priest. There is a Catholic church right around the corner!

From what I understand…
Since we were both baptised in a protestant church, our marriage is valid. I guess I excommunicated myself by being baptised in another church. Therefore we were married as if we were both protestants.
It’s more complicated than that since I was baptised Catholic and you really don’t become un-Catholic especially since I was bapisted and confirmed Catholic.
I have been to confession about leaving the faith, living as a non-Catholic etc. The priest said that communion would be okay for me now, but there may be some paperwork to do because of the second baptism.
As far as I know my husband would have to enter the church as any other convert would.
The children are only 5, 3, and 2, so there is no issue there since they all have a valid baptism.

Does that seem to jive with what you all have experienced or know of?
 
I’m not real sure from your last statement if your saying your marriage is valid or invalid. If you were baptised and confirmed Catholic then you are Catholic and the church wouldn’t reconize your marriage as valid. The baptism in the protestant church dosen’t really matter because you wasn’t really baptised into that church because you can only be baptised once. Now if you went to confession that’s great, but in order to receive communion you would have to live as brother and sister until your marriage is blessed by the church. Your husband dosen’t have to convert to have this happen. The priest could go a head a do this right away.
 
You may want to watch “The Journey Home” on EWTN. This is a great show where they interview converts to the Catholic Church. The shows are VERY inspiring.

I will pray for you and your family. God bless.
 
Hi dal11,
The priest did say that our marriage is valid. Apparently being baptised in a protestant church in order to become a member of that church, is a regection of the Catholic Church.

I’m sure we’ll end up talking more about this with the priest at some point. At least I hope so. My husband has not shown interest in speaking with a priest at this point.
 
Dear Kim, I’m not trying to judge or anything I’m just trying to get you right in God’s eyes and I sure am glad you and your husband are looking into the church. That said, what the priest told you dosen’t sound right. I would get another priest opinion or ask him to bless your marriage anyway just to be sure.
 
I would also suggest Crossing the Tiber by Stephen Ray. Scott Hahn’s book *Home Sweet Rome *is also interesting, but I’d suggest steering clear of some of his more recent writings. We also converted from the Protestant tradition, so feel free to e-mail any particular questions your family may have. We don’t have all the answers, but I’m sure we asked the same questions. God bless!
What’s wrong with Scott’s more recent writings…?
 
dal11,
I understand and I appreciate your concern. Believe me, I’m asking a lot of questions and doing a lot of reading because I want to do this right!!
 
Dear Kim, I’m not trying to judge or anything I’m just trying to get you right in God’s eyes and I sure am glad you and your husband are looking into the church. That said, what the priest told you dosen’t sound right. I would get another priest opinion or ask him to bless your marriage anyway just to be sure.
Respectfully, I don’t think you should override what her priest says. If she has spoken to him face to face and truthfully answered any of his questions, I doubt we can know more based on the little bit she has told us.

It’s not helpful to conversion for someone online to start making her doubt her own priest’s words! 😦
 
It’s not helpful to conversion for someone online to start making her doubt her own priest’s words! 😦
You may not think it’s helpful, however dal11’s response is correct.

Kim shared that she was baptised & confirmed in the Catholic church. She is Catholic. She was a fallen away Catholic, not excommunicated.

Because she is a Catholic and married outside the church her marriage does need to be convalidated (blessed) before she can receive communion again.

There are plenty of threads on the AA forum about this…here’s one:
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=71200&highlight=catholic+married

As mentioned, her second baptism doesn’t change anything. She was already baptised…we believe in one baptism as we say in the Nicene Creed.

I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins (Ephesians 4: 5)

Kim, there are more threads on the AA forum about Catholics being married outside the church, difference between a valid & sacramental marriage, and more that has been brought up in this thread.
The priest did say that our marriage is valid. Apparently being baptised in a protestant church in order to become a member of that church, is a regection of the Catholic Church.
Yes, a protestant baptism is recognized to join the CC, however, you are already a member. Just a confession & blessing away from receiving communion.

Welcome home!
 
You may want to watch “The Journey Home” on EWTN. This is a great show where they interview converts to the Catholic Church. The shows are VERY inspiring.

I will pray for you and your family. God bless.
I second this suggestion…wonderful show! Thank you also to the earlier poster who posted the correct name of Scott Hahn’s book.

BTW… the last church we attended before coming home was the LCMS. The last straw for us was when we read that denomination’s official position on what/who the pope was.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top