Brown Scapular question

  • Thread starter Thread starter CruceSignati
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CruceSignati

Guest
Last month I was at a retreat and I was talking to a guy about the Brown Scapular and the blessings that God bestows, through Mary, on wearers. He said that when he was in Australia, he heard from a priest that some people are called to wear the scapular only for a short time in their life and then they don’t need it anymore. Thoughts?? :confused:
 
I don’t really know, but it sounds a little odd, not to disrespect the one who would have said that. To me, it would be like saying a nun doesn’t need to say her rosary anymore. :confused:😦 Things like these, showing expressions of faith, prayers, etc., are things you don’t “grow out of” and “don’t need anymore.” That’s just my thought. 🙂
 
I don’t really know, but it sounds a little odd, not to disrespect the one who would have said that. To me, it would be like saying a nun doesn’t need to say her rosary anymore. :confused:😦 Things like these, showing expressions of faith, prayers, etc., are things you don’t “grow out of” and “don’t need anymore.” That’s just my thought. 🙂
That was my thought too. I don’t understand how someone could possibly be “good” enough to not need Mary’s intercession and protection. :confused:
 
Hi Everyone,

I have not heard of this, either.

The people that I have known who wear them, keep on wearing them, once they start wearing them.
 
I have one and personally they can be bothersome because they flap around and you constantly have something on your skin. Its a little bit of a penance to wear one and gets in the way. I suppose its kinda meant to be like that.
 
I don’t think this sound that weird, I think even wearing the scapular for a short time must bring great graces, and maybe those graces lead to other devotions and callings. I don’t think it should be assumed if someone stops wearing the scapular they are no longer under Mary’s protection or void of her intercession! 🙂
 
As far as I know, there is no “short term” brown scapular wearing instruction out there and I can’t see how that would work. This scapular is supposed to work if one is faithful to wear it til the end of one’s life, and of course, keep all the prescribed conditions otherwise. (NOT treating this like some magic talisman of course with such and such on demand if you do such and such) A quick search online came up only with short as in short form of investiture, which is about ceremony and wording rather than the length of time you can wear the brown scapular.
 
Mount Carmel is the mountain of prayer, and wearing the Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel reminds me of what I should be doing for the Lord. It also helps me to be aware of what a loving Mother was given to us at the foot of the Cross.

Others choose different devotionals and that is very good as well.
 
I have one and personally they can be bothersome because they flap around and you constantly have something on your skin. Its a little bit of a penance to wear one and gets in the way. I suppose its kinda meant to be like that.
I agree. I have a long torso so regular length scapulars don’t work for me since they “show”. I need to always wear long length scapulars. All of my friends and family are protestants so nobody knows what it is, it’s a chance for apologetics.

Plus, the wool irritates my skin so that’s a penance.
 
You may use the scapular medal instead of the cloth scapular.

When the cloth scapular is replaced, it is not necessary for it to be blessed, as the blessing passes on to it.

If you lose a scapular medal and want to replace it with another, it is to be blessed.

Here is a site that has the latest updated information on the Brown
Scapular from the two branches of the Carmelite order:

carmelitanacollection.com/catechesis.html

It is well worth reading.
 
Last month I was at a retreat and I was talking to a guy about the Brown Scapular and the blessings that God bestows, through Mary, on wearers. He said that when he was in Australia, he heard from a priest that some people are called to wear the scapular only for a short time in their life and then they don’t need it anymore. Thoughts?? :confused:
I can’t say. It sounds like you caught just a snippet of a conversation at second or third hand. It’s impossible to determine what this priest meant if we don’t know the context and circumstances in which it was said.

I love my brown scapular and will wear it the rest of my life. The past May I had a heart attack and nearly died. I was standing in line for confession. When I came to in ICU a week later, the scapular was in a baggie and taped to my lower leg just above the ankle. The nurse said she did that because she saw what it said about wearing it at the time of death. The docs took everything off me when I had emergency surgery but this wonderful nurse saw to it that my scapular remained on my body.
 
I can’t say. It sounds like you caught just a snippet of a conversation at second or third hand. It’s impossible to determine what this priest meant if we don’t know the context and circumstances in which it was said.

I love my brown scapular and will wear it the rest of my life. The past May I had a heart attack and nearly died. I was standing in line for confession. When I came to in ICU a week later, the scapular was in a baggie and taped to my lower leg just above the ankle. The nurse said she did that because she saw what it said about wearing it at the time of death. The docs took everything off me when I had emergency surgery but this wonderful nurse saw to it that my scapular remained on my body.
How nice of her to respect what was important to you!
 
I love my brown scapular and will wear it the rest of my life. The past May I had a heart attack and nearly died. I was standing in line for confession. When I came to in ICU a week later, the scapular was in a baggie and taped to my lower leg just above the ankle. The nurse said she did that because she saw what it said about wearing it at the time of death. The docs took everything off me when I had emergency surgery but this wonderful nurse saw to it that my scapular remained on my body.
How wonderful! I hope more medical personnel know how important the scapular is. Resourceful of her to do that. I hope that if I were to be in a similar situation that my scapular would stay with me. In the ER it is protocol to cut off a person’s clothing. Wonderful of her to make sure it stayed with you!
 
I agree. I have a long torso so regular length scapulars don’t work for me since they “show”. I need to always wear long length scapulars. All of my friends and family are protestants so nobody knows what it is, it’s a chance for apologetics.

Plus, the wool irritates my skin so that’s a penance.
Just so you know…it is no longer required that the scapular be 100% wool.
 
Well, according to this, the scapular must be wool: http://www.sistersofcarmel.com/brown-scapular-information.php
Please don’t take anything on the Sisters of Carmel’s website to heart. The sisters are a renegade order, not in the good graces of the Bishop of Colorado Springs, or Rome. Mass is celebrated for the sisters by priests of the Servants of God. Another group not in the good graces of the Bishop of CS or Rome.

There used to be a letter on the Diocese website from the Bishop of Colorado Springs. The letter didn’t make the redesign of the website 3 years ago. More or less, the letter asked the faithful to pray for the sisters to return.

I live in the neighboring Archdiocese of Denver, we’ve had no word, about a change in their situation.
 
Well, according to this, the scapular must be wool: http://www.sistersofcarmel.com/brown-scapular-information.php
I can understand the confusion. 🙂

A Carmelite priest instructed us about the most recent directives of both branches of the Carmelite order.
He also told us that it would take a while to “trickle down”, as many Catholic stores had (and some still do) instructions inside the little cellophane bag that the scapular comes in and it is not updated. The well-explained new catechesis also clarifies other things about the Brown Scapular history.

A few posts up I shared that site that gives precise information; this was given in the year 2,000.

I appreciate the information from another poster about the Sisters of Carmel, and I too hope they come back from being disobedient.

Peace,

Dorothy…Third Order Lay Carmelite
 
I can understand the confusion. 🙂

A Carmelite priest instructed us about the most recent directives of both branches of the Carmelite order.
He also told us that it would take a while to “trickle down”, as many Catholic stores had (and some still do) instructions inside the little cellophane bag that the scapular comes in and it is not updated. The well-explained new catechesis also clarifies other things about the Brown Scapular history.

A few posts up I shared that site that gives precise information; this was given in the year 2,000.

I appreciate the information from another poster about the Sisters of Carmel, and I too hope they come back from being disobedient.

Peace,

Dorothy…Third Order Lay Carmelite
Now I’m a little confused… Are the Sisters teaching something that isn’t true?

Interested in learning more, was there a schism in the Carmelite Order?

Best,
Ariana Katlyn
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top