Brown Scapular question

  • Thread starter Thread starter CruceSignati
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your links don’t work.

I don’t know what the Sisters teach. All I know is that the Sisters are not sanctioned by the Bishop of Colorado Springs or Rome. You can see this for yourself on their website–there is no letter of welcome from the Bishop, no mention of the Holy Father, and no mention of the Order of Carmelites. The Sisters are living outside official approval.

Refer to Dorothy’s posts–the official stance of the Carmelite Order on the Brown Scapular is in her posts for both, the TOC and the Discalced.

God Bless,

Asia, Lay Carmelite 2nd year of Formation in the Archdiocese of Denver
 
Now I’m a little confused… Are the Sisters teaching something that isn’t true?

Interested in learning more, was there a schism in the Carmelite Order?

Best,
Ariana Katlyn
I don’t know any details about the Sisters of Carmel. Whatever the rift was I pray they come back.

With regard to the Carmelite Order, in the time of St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross (the middle ages) there was a reform in the order. It was much needed. It wasn’t a schism; it now has two branches and separate jurisdictions. Many times we have had retreats together; we have the same spirit of Carmel.

I tried the links you provided and for whatever reason they didn’t work.

The link I provided by both branches of the Carmelite Order has much information about the Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.
 
What are the differences between the O.Carm and the OCD?
St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross, saints and Doctors of the Church aided in reform of the Ancient Observance (O. Carm.) The members were getting lax and not adhering properly to the rule.
They (Teresa and John) began the O.C.D. (Order Carmelite Discalced). Discalced means “without shoes”, which pertains to being strict, adhering to the rule as it should be. This took place about 800 years ago.

Both orders study the writings of St. John of the Cross, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, and other Carmelite saints.

The charism of Carmel is contemplative prayer.

If an OCD Secular sees this thread perhaps they can give more (name removed by moderator)ut.

Or maybe you should start a new thread? 🙂
 
You may use the scapular medal instead of the cloth scapular.
It was in my understanding that you have to have special dispensation to wear the scapular medal in the case of somebody being allergic to the wool in the scapular or something?
 
It was in my understanding that you have to have special dispensation to wear the scapular medal in the case of somebody being allergic to the wool in the scapular or something?
Perhaps in the past that was so…As I have so often done, I would like to share with you the latest catechesis on the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, presented in the year 2000, by both branches of the Carmelite Order:

carmelitanacollection.com/catechesis.php

As you will see, certain disciplines have been changed, and some understandings of the history are clarified.

Peace in Jesus and Mary,

Dorothy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top