Building Christian Community: Any Ideas?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Catholic_Home
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have seen AMAZING turn out for “The Great Adventure” Bible Study. It can be done big or in a small group setting. Is good for all ages 👍
 
We have seen AMAZING turn out for “The Great Adventure” Bible Study. It can be done big or in a small group setting. Is good for all ages 👍
I will check the Great Adventure study out. I am doing (LRSS) Little Rock Scripture Study. The Passion and Resurrection Narratives of Jesus. Thought it would be a good study through Lent. We’ll see how it goes. And if it goes well, we will do more studies. We have an all women’s group.
 
I will check the Great Adventure study out. I am doing (LRSS) Little Rock Scripture Study. The Passion and Resurrection Narratives of Jesus. Thought it would be a good study through Lent. We’ll see how it goes. And if it goes well, we will do more studies. We have an all women’s group.
LRSS is a bit on the fluffy side for MY taste, nevertheless, people do like it. The Ignatius studies are more meaty. “Women of Grace” is very good. There is also a Catholic study that is framed like the protestant “BSF”. I cannot recall what it is called right now.
 
LRSS is a bit on the fluffy side for MY taste, nevertheless, people do like it. The Ignatius studies are more meaty. “Women of Grace” is very good. There is also a Catholic study that is framed like the protestant “BSF”. I cannot recall what it is called right now.
Yes of course, a bit fluffy fits us :o Thanks for the tips. I’ve got one of the Ignatius study books, quite meaty as you say. I’ve heard of BSF. And a study for just women would be a great idea, Women of the bible would be good I think. I’ve also tried some of Scott Hahn’s studies.
 
We have seen AMAZING turn out for “The Great Adventure” Bible Study. It can be done big or in a small group setting. Is good for all ages 👍
I believe the “The Great Adventure” Bible Study is by EWTN’s former Jeff Cavins?

caution…Our former SS sister used the Little Rock Scripture Study and added the disclaimer “when we get to the Resurrection, contact me as there is heresy in that chapter.”
 
I believe the “The Great Adventure” Bible Study is by EWTN’s former Jeff Cavins?

caution…Our former SS sister used the Little Rock Scripture Study and added the disclaimer “when we get to the Resurrection, contact me as there is heresy in that chapter.”
What chapter? What heresy? Please. Thank you I am doing the Passion and Resurrection Narratives of Jesus. It is a 7 session study. Not a chapter, but a book. What session? What heresy? Please Thank you. I guess at this point the topic is getting off. So could you pm me please? Thanks

It is developed by Jeff Cavins; the Great Adventure bible study. 👍 Don’t know about the EWTN bit.
 
I didn’t read the thread, so forgive me if this link has all ready been given

presentationministries.com/community/community.asp
Leonie, THANK YOU! This is exactly the sort of information I was looking for!

As soon as I’m done reading through it all, I’m going to approach the sister who runs everything and tell her I’d like to start the Taking Back Sundays Christian Community!

YAY! I’m so excited.

Thank you, Holy Spirit!

:extrahappy:
 
WHAT in the world is going on here!! I am sure we don’t even live in the same state. I volunteered for our St.Vincent DePaul a year ago. I went to a couple of meetings. Appeared very interested. They said they would call me to make visits. They never did. I was really angry about this non followup on their part. And the exact same thing happened to me as happened to you. Last month THEY PUT AN ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE BULLETIN SAYING THEY *DESPERATELY *NEEDED HELP. Indeed they do.

This makes NO sense!!! My BP is going up,up,up…
I can tell you what is going on. Politics. St Vincent de Paul, for example, had a young college student address a parish I was attending with a syruppy description of what they were doing for “the voicelss poor”, including speaking up for “the voiceless poor”, and believe me, she did not leave one shred of dignity for “those voiceless poor” in her speech.

It struck me as I listened that all thre people I saw at the St V de Paul store where I buy most of my art frames were senior citizens or Hispanic, not the college kids who were assigned the paper work and announcements. I began to envy the Hispanics who do not have to listen to the garbage these young social-work college majors spew when they so arrogantly present themselves as the spokespeople for others who apparently have been told to shut up and be voiceless…

Frankly, it is a free country… (still somewhat, anyway)… and what would stop you from just randomly inviting two or three compatible looking Catholics to lunch and proposing a one-time fundraiser just for fun, and to give the couple hundred or so dollars you might raise to the St V de Paul? Then just smile at the people who don’t call. Continue to build personal connections across parish and other lines with fellow Catholics just for occasional activities like that 😃 and don’t worry about the desperate volunteer-wanted ads with no follow-up.
 
Frankly, it is a free country… (still somewhat, anyway)… and what would stop you from just randomly inviting two or three compatible looking Catholics to lunch
I know just who I am going to start with. The two people in the parish who were genuinely kind to me.

The first is a lady who was filling in for the parish secretary when she was ill. When I went to meet with the nun, she offered me a drink of water. Sounds like a small thing, and I didn’t want any water, but it was the way in which she did it that spoke of hospitality.

The second is a lady who used to work at the post office. She saw us at Mass one weekend and said they usually come to the 5:00 on Saturdays. The following week, she came to the same Mass and handed me her phone number. She said she came to that Mass just to see me and offered to “introduce me around”. I dropped the ball on that one since I was in sort of a funk for weeks. Time to call!
 
What chapter? What heresy? Please. Thank you I am doing the Passion and Resurrection Narratives of Jesus. It is a 7 session study. Not a chapter, but a book. What session? What heresy? Please Thank you. I guess at this point the topic is getting off. So could you pm me please? Thanks

It is developed by Jeff Cavins; the Great Adventure bible study. 👍 Don’t know about the EWTN bit.
The sisters’ remark was at the second class. I never went back after her remark about Mary. I still have the book but never checked it out for heresy. That’s all I can say is Caution!
 
Leonie, THANK YOU! This is exactly the sort of information I was looking for! as soon as I’m done reading through it all, I’m going to approach the sister who runs everything and tell her I’d like to start the Taking Back Sundays Christian Community! YAY! I’m so excited. Thank you, Holy Spirit!
I am so glad this had a HAPPY ending! or perhaps I should say happy BEGINNING?

Happy Beginning to you, Happy Beginning to you, Happy Beginning, dear Christine, Happy Beginning to YOU! :harp:

PPO = Persistance Pays Off!
 
Thanks for the good wishes and happiness!

Yes, a happy beginning. I have no doubt there will be obstacles, but PPO!

😃
 
The sisters’ remark was at the second class. I never went back after her remark about Mary. I still have the book but never checked it out for heresy. That’s all I can say is Caution!
You mean the nun that dismissed Mary’s perpetual virginity gave this caution? Now why would I take her word that there is heresy in the LRSS if she says this about Mary? Thanks though and I’ll keep a look out. I know there has been a complaint about LRSS and that it is modern which doesn’t necessarily have to be a bad thing all the time…but I haven’t heard that there is heresy in it.

Elizabeth
 
Thanks for the good wishes and happiness!

Yes, a happy beginning. I have no doubt there will be obstacles, but PPO!

😃
I want to say congrats too for getting the answers you were after. Hang in there with! God Bless you and your endeavors. You are in my prayers for a successful ministry.

Elizabeth
 
This day in age we are under no obligation to use our geographic parish especially with the abuses going on.

Seek and you will find. Keep in mind it may take well over a year. It took me nearly 2 years to find a good parish and it is 25 miles away.
Hey Christine

Look at my thread in Family… May be something there might just inspire you to carry on doing what you are doing and evangelise with all those other people who may have just lost their way. Jesus has called us through baptism to be ‘priestly beings’. We are called to share our gifts and this is what you do best and so don’t give up heart. I don’t know how young you are, but I am 46 and love a godly challenge… so why not start your own group by picking out a person in all those groups and praise them for the work they are doing, tell them how there gifts inspires you and what you in tend to do, you’ll be amazed at how God intercedes for you. Start a catholic Scout group, join youth animate, An Hcpt group, social and welfare group, and so on and so… the list can be endless. All you need is to target individual fist and get them on board.

Good luck… not that you will need it with God in our lives we can achieve so much more.

Ange xxxx
 
Leonie, THANK YOU! This is exactly the sort of information I was looking for!

As soon as I’m done reading through it all, I’m going to approach the sister who runs everything and tell her I’d like to start the Taking Back Sundays Christian Community!

YAY! I’m so excited.

Thank you, Holy Spirit!

:extrahappy:
yea! My family was involved in a home church community for four years. It was a blessing, esp for my children and my husband. 👍
 
yea! My family was involved in a home church community for four years. It was a blessing, esp for my children and my husband. 👍
ALLELLULIA! I have just been blessed with the most beautiful feeling in the world. Instead of crying as I usually do… I am really normally sensitive I have not stopped smiling! I have a 2000 word essay to do with regards support for families in my church and a 4000 word essay on the church being inclusive for people with a disability. We have to make our churches accessible, but we tend to forget about the spiritual inclusive side of things… after all its not often you see a person in a wheelchair giving holy community or a person who is blind reading the good news liturgy, it is not often you see a person who is deaf using his gift in liturgical celebrations, so I intend to look deeper at the reasons why are churches are not full with people who have disabilities.

The reason I am sharing this with you is too say A BIG THANK YOU to you because all though I am so busy with the things I do running a house with my husband and 3 beautiful children, organising a trip for a group of 8-18 year old scout group, preparing my for my weekly voluntary job in driving a mini bus for adults who attend a centre for the blind and partially sighted, taking a group with blind dogs for a walk, organising minutes for a local school Parent and Teacher association. I have stopped and gave time to God and it’s all because of you so thank you and I feel God has lead me to you so I thank God.

I am doing a degree at 46 years of age, fulfilling my dream and ambition to fill the void that was in my school years at school. My degree is in pastoral Leadership! So I am glad I have been able to put it to good use.

I had a serious car crash last week and my car is now a right off, I was taken to hospital with neck and back injuries, but my children and I are all ok thanks to God looking for us!
People who know me have said this is a sign to say slow down, but I don’t think so, because the more people put obstacles in the way, the more times God removes them… we have to have faith and then we can have hope in our vision to do Gods will, then we are given peace.

My philosophy in life is … *‘the only aim of Jesus was to do the will of his Fathers may it be mine!’ *

You go for it girl! and when you see sister say hello from me… x;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top