By faith alone, a catholic misunderstanding

  • Thread starter Thread starter jjsmity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
sudy:
Btw, I was thinking about this whole thread yesterday. It seems that Protestants misunderstand Catholics about works, while Catholics misunderstand Protestants about Faith… but the truth is that Catholics don’t look at works as ‘earning’ salvation… we don’t reckon them up to determine whether we’ve gained enough points to enter heaven… what we really do is hope for heaven… we know that we are sinners and aren’t worthy of heaven but we try to do our best to follow Christ in all His teachings and hope for salvation.
If I may add my 2 cents. We Catholics don’t keep a tally of our works to get to heaven. What we do, is look around and see that there is work that needs to be done.
 
To be fair - and in the interest of clarity - it should be said that the Church DOES speak of “merit” in connection with faith and works.

The word “merit” appears 30 times in the Catechism…not in the sense of “earning salvation”…but depending on how one uses it in daily conversation, it might give that impression,

The same thing can be true of a word like “worthy”…which is used in the mass as “…Count us worthy…”

Then there is the matter of “indulgences” which, rightly understood, are not a problem but it can require some explanation to get to that “right” understanding.

Anyway - just thought I would toss this out there. These are all things that can be easily misunderstood by those (Catholic or non-Catholic) who are not well versed in the faith.

Peace
James
I think of merit as to what is owed… whether punishment or reward… though I also hope and trust in God’s mercy.

If we look at the parable of the unforgiving servant in Matthew 18, the one who is doing the reckoning forgave the debts of the slave… until it was discovered that the slave hadn’t forgiven the debts of his fellow slave. I think that this is where the ‘merit’ of good deeds (love/charity) comes in. It may not pay the debt in full but will certainly benefit us. What I’ve written here isn’t meant to negate what I wrote earlier about hoping for salvation though, because I believe that both points are true. I hope we are both in agreement 🙂 but please do correct me if I am in error.
If I may add my 2 cents. We Catholics don’t keep a tally of our works to get to heaven. What we do, is look around and see that there is work that needs to be done.
Completely agree with that.
Actually, the majority of Evangelicals, Baptists and Non Denominational Protestants I know believe that it is exactly what you say it is not. That would make it a Protestant, not really a Catholic, misunderstanding.
I certainly get that impression too with the people that I know, though I was attempting to give jj the benefit of the doubt 🙂
 
“…for every meritorious act has for its main object the increase of grace and of eternal glory”
Taken from newadvent.org/cathen/10202b.htm

For a futher understanding of merit, this article explains:

•I. Nature of Merit;
•II. Existence of Merit;
•III. Conditions of Merit, and
•IV. Objects of Merit.
 
2006 The term “merit” refers in general to the recompense owed by a community or a society for the action of one of its members, experienced either as beneficial or harmful, deserving reward or punishment. Merit is relative to the virtue of justice, in conformity with the principle of equality which governs it.

2007 With regard to God, there is no strict right to any merit on the part of man. Between God and us there is an immeasurable inequality, for we have received everything from him, our Creator.

2008 The merit of man before God in the Christian life arises from the fact that God has freely chosen to associate man with the work of his grace. The fatherly action of God is first on his own initiative, and then follows man’s free acting through his collaboration, so that the merit of good works is to be attributed in the first place to the grace of God, then to the faithful. Man’s merit, moreover, itself is due to God, for his good actions proceed in Christ, from the predispositions and assistance given by the Holy Spirit.

2009 Filial adoption, in making us partakers by grace in the divine nature, can bestow true merit on us as a result of God’s gratuitous justice. This is our right by grace, the full right of love, making us “co-heirs” with Christ and worthy of obtaining "the promised inheritance of eternal life."60 The merits of our good works are gifts of the divine goodness.61 "Grace has gone before us; now we are given what is due. . . . Our merits are God’s gifts."62

2010 Since the initiative belongs to God in the order of grace, no one can merit the initial grace of forgiveness and justification, at the beginning of conversion. Moved by the Holy Spirit and by charity, we can then merit for ourselves and for others the graces needed for our sanctification, for the increase of grace and charity, and for the attainment of eternal life. Even temporal goods like health and friendship can be merited in accordance with God’s wisdom. These graces and goods are the object of Christian prayer. Prayer attends to the grace we need for meritorious actions.

2011 The charity of Christ is the source in us of all our merits before God. Grace, by uniting us to Christ in active love, ensures the supernatural quality of our acts and consequently their merit before God and before men. The saints have always had a lively awareness that their merits were pure grace.

I found it difficult to leave any of these out as they all add to the explanation. They agree with what you posted though, Fred, just a different way of saying it. 🙂
 
A non-Catholic coworker has stated to me something very similar to what you’ve laid out here. He is a Baptist Deacon (identifies with SBC). However, he has noted that his congregation and church leadership are divided on the issue. The more popular belief within his church is OSAS associated with a mental & emotional faith/belief… one can have faith with no works, but once saved always saved. I’ve opted not to include his name or church to respect his privacy on the matter. Especially, since it is a dividing issue for his church community.
I say the misunderstanding is on you. Once saved always saved is true and applies works are not needed, but they will result from true saving faith.
John 14: 6-7 Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know Him and have seen Him.’

Jesus is the truth. Jesus is true God and true man.

John 3: 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him may not perish but may have eternal life.

The quote that you believe in. But Jesus qualifies everything that He says to us. If you read further into the Gospel of John… you’ll reach

–John 6: 35-36 Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to Me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in Me will never be thirsty. But I said to you that you have seen Me and yet you do not believe.’

and

–John 6: 51 Very truly, I tell you, whoever believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life. Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread that comes down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live for ever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is My flesh.

and then

–John 6: 53-58 Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat My flesh and drink My blood have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day; for My flesh is true food and My blood is true drink. Those who eat My flesh and drink My blood abide in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats Me will live because of Me. This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live for ever.’

Now we come to the Lord’s Supper.

Matthew 26: 26-28 While they were eating, Jesus took a loaf of bread, and after blessing it He broke it, gave it to the disciples, and said, ‘Take, eat; this is My body.’ Then He took a cup, and after giving thanks He gave it to them, saying, ‘Drink from it, all of you; for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins…’

You have built your life around the one comment about salvation. Do you not see the error of taking only one truth that Jesus has said, without taking everything that Jesus has said, as truth?

Btw, I was thinking about this whole thread yesterday. It seems that Protestants misunderstand Catholics about works, while Catholics misunderstand Protestants about Faith… but the truth is that Catholics don’t look at works as ‘earning’ salvation… we don’t reckon them up to determine whether we’ve gained enough points to enter heaven… what we really do is hope for heaven… we know that we are sinners and aren’t worthy of heaven but we try to do our best to follow Christ in all His teachings and hope for salvation.
first part amen sister.

I agree with your statements, however i do believe you are the one only selecting certain passages on eating jesus. i would suggest you watch some debates on the subject you may find a fuller pictures of jesus. Also does the church teach faith and baptism bring grace/salvation? or eating jesus?.

that last part I agree 100% I am trying to correct misunderstandings on both sides. I agree with what you have said my fellow believer.
 
God gives everything to us… we for our part reciprocate by choosing to do what Jesus asks of us because we love Him… this means loving God and loving man (including those who are our enemies), and showing forgiveness, having mercy… trying to be like Jesus. Grace is given by God. Good works are achieved because the Holy Spirit lives with us and works through us, but we have the freedom of choice to choose to allow this to happen or we can choose to reject it. This rejection is how you would lose salvation.

I’m really not trying to run down your faith… I think that once we have faith though, we’re meant to open ourselves up to God to allow for a deeper faith… allowing ourselves to get a better understanding of what God wants for us, and from us.

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c3a2.htm << here’s a link that can explain it much better than I can.

I’m really not too sure why you seem to think that I’m selecting certain passages as though to create a warped sense of what Jesus asks of us. Do you really think that I’d be saying any of this if I didn’t truly believe it myself? You agree that Jesus is the truth, and you agree that Jesus is both true God and true man… I was just trying to say that we are to take ‘everything’ that Jesus says to us, and not to ‘cherry pick’ passages, and now you’ve turned that argument back onto me.

I’m fairly certain that I don’t need to watch any debates to get a fuller picture of Jesus… I’m certainly not suggesting that I understand Jesus inside and out, because I really don’t, but I have the Holy Church, sacred tradition, and Sacred Scripture to guide me and help me, as well as many gifts from God.

God bless, jj.
 
God gives everything to us… we for our part reciprocate by choosing to do what Jesus asks of us because we love Him… this means loving God and loving man (including those who are our enemies), and showing forgiveness, having mercy… trying to be like Jesus. Grace is given by God. Good works are achieved because the Holy Spirit lives with us and works through us, but we have the freedom of choice to choose to allow this to happen or we can choose to reject it. This rejection is how you would lose salvation.

I’m really not trying to run down your faith… I think that once we have faith though, we’re meant to open ourselves up to God to allow for a deeper faith… allowing ourselves to get a better understanding of what God wants for us, and from us.

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c3a2.htm << here’s a link that can explain it much better than I can.

I’m really not too sure why you seem to think that I’m selecting certain passages as though to create a warped sense of what Jesus asks of us. Do you really think that I’d be saying any of this if I didn’t truly believe it myself? You agree that Jesus is the truth, and you agree that Jesus is both true God and true man… I was just trying to say that we are to take ‘everything’ that Jesus says to us, and not to ‘cherry pick’ passages, and now you’ve turned that argument back onto me.

I’m fairly certain that I don’t need to watch any debates to get a fuller picture of Jesus… I’m certainly not suggesting that I understand Jesus inside and out, because I really don’t, but I have the Holy Church, sacred tradition, and Sacred Scripture to guide me and help me, as well as many gifts from God.

God bless, jj.
Thanks for post. I not sure why you feel you are running down my faith in any way? I say when we take everything I was referring to passages on Eucharist in john] you end up with the protestant position, I think debates help show that. The very reason catholic doctrine cannot be reformed is because they only accept what rome teaches, just as Jehovah witnesses. How do you know you are interpreting what the church is saying correctly? and why not the bible?. Of course our authority is different, you intprit passages a way the church tells you to, I dont see the church with that authority before posting typical catholic passages please watch debates on peter first pope etc] so that is why we must find what we agree on and work from there.
 
I say the misunderstanding is on you. Once saved always saved is true and applies works are not needed, but they will result from true saving faith.
OK - - - For the sake of discussion - - - “Once saved, always saved” is true…

At what point is one guaranteed Salvation.
At what point can one know with absolute certainty that their faith is a living and saving faith and will never die (as demonstrated by a lack of works etc)?

At what point does one know for positive sure that they are good soil, and not stoney soil or soil full of brambles that will choke them out?

Now - let me be clear, I think that OSAS is quite true - or at least certain aspects of it. However, I think that we likely have a very different take on just when that guarantee kicks in.

Peace
James
 
Code:
I say the misunderstanding is on you. Once saved always saved is true and applies works are not needed, but they will result from true saving faith.
Oh Catholics believe in Once Saved Always Saved too, we just realize the Apostles taught that our salvation is not completed until the end of this life. After we die, we are judged, and at that time, our disposition is completed. 😃
I agree with your statements, however i do believe you are the one only selecting certain passages on eating jesus. i would suggest you watch some debates on the subject you may find a fuller pictures of jesus. Also does the church teach faith and baptism bring grace/salvation? or eating jesus?.
Yes!
 
Thanks for post. I not sure why you feel you are running down my faith in any way? I say when we take everything I was referring to passages on Eucharist in john] you end up with the protestant position, I think debates help show that. The very reason catholic doctrine cannot be reformed is because they only acceptance what rome teaches, just as Jehovah witnesses. How do you know you are interpreting what the church is saying correctly? and why not the bible?. Of course our authority is different, you intprit passages a way the church tells you to, I dont see the church with that authority before posting typical catholic passages please watch debates on peter first pope etc] so that is why we must find what we agree on and work from there.
I’ve watched and listened to countless hours of debates and always find the Protestant position lacking, ON EVERYTHING.

Your OSAS position is built on sand. You cannot get around the fact that IF the Corinthians, Galatians, Romans etc. are already saved, then St. Paul is wasting his time in writing to them to correct their errors. He should be out preaching the Gospel to more pagans.

You cannot get around Jesus’ teaching of the vine, where He implores us to remain in Him, lest we be cast into the fire. OSAS would respond: “no worries Jesus, I’m saved already.”

You cannot get around these verses:
41Anyone who gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ, amen, I say to you, will surely not lose his reward.nTemptations to Sin.42o*“Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe [in me] to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were put around his neck and he were thrown into the sea.
IF OSAS is true, then you have to say to Jesus: Ah Jesus, that person who refused to give water made an altar call, and we told him he is saved, so you CAN’T take away his reward.
If OSAS is true then what does it matter if you cause one of His little ones to sin? Since they believe in Him aren’t they saved?

Sheep in Jesus’ parables are the believers. Notice in the parable of the Lost Sheep Jesus says, IF that sheep is found, there will be much rejoicing. On the other hand, that sheep that once believed may be lost forever.

The reason that Catholic doctrines do not need reform is that they are TRUE. Why reform truth?

Authority? If you don’t recognize the Church’s authority, then whose would you recognize? In the end, with Protestantism, you can reject everyone’s authority, because what right has any of them to tell you what to do, if you disagree with them? NONE of them can claim they have the authority that Christ gave the Apostles. So in the end EVERY Protestant is their own authority. That is sad, and a terrible weight to carry.

How do I know if I am interpreting what the Church is teaching correctly? Did you really post that? You are the first I have ever heard say that. Most people say that the Church is too clear on everything. They wish the Church would, now what word am I looking for. I know someone posted it before? I KNOW. They wish the Church would DILUTE Christ’s message.

From another website on Bible interpretation:
Therefore, when a Protestant says : " I stand by the Bible alone," he does not mean that he stands by the Bible uninterpreted, for in such case the Bible is mute. He does not mean that he stands by the Bible as interpreted by the Church, for that would not be the Protestant but the Catholic principle. Nor does he mean that he stands by the Bible as interpreted by somebody else ; as that would be, according to his notion, to give up his right of private interpretation. But he means that he stands by the Bible alone as interpreted by himself, and that the sense in which he himself understands it is the Word of God. And therefore a person who is guided by this principle comes to say this :" The Bible, interpreted by the fathers, may or may not be the Word of God ; the Bible interpreted by the Church may or may not be the Word of God ; the Bible interpreted by any one besides myself mayor may not be the Word of God ; but the Bible interpreted by me, that is indeed the Word of God, my only teacher, my guide, my infallible authority.“To a Catholic who would rejoin : " What, my friend, if you were to understand some passage of Scripture in a wrong sense ?” The person who would still stick to that principle would have to reply : " That would be a great pity, but still, not acknowledging any other authority but myown private judgment, I have a right to look upon that interpretation mine as the Word of God."*And if a Catholic were to add : " Is it not reasonable to suppose the interpretation of the Bible by the whole body of bishops of the Catholic Church, though disagreeing with your private interpretation, should be the right one, and therefore more likely the word of God " the Protestant would be reduced to answer: " I do not agree, because that interpretation would not be mine" If you argue so," the Catholic may justly reply, " I must say that with you, my friend, the me and the mine stand for all arguments."*Let him who has eyes see what spirit is at the root of this boastful saying, and how shallow is the principle of standing by the Bible alone.*The Bible in the original language, or when truthfully translated, indeed in itself the Word of God, and infallible ; but the Bible is not the Word of God, nor infallible, with regard to us, unless rightly interpreted, that is, interpreted with authority, certainty, and infallibility. For if the interpretation be wrong, the Bible ceases to be, with regard to the reader the Word of God ; and if the interpretation be unauthorized, doubtful fallible, the Bible becomes, with regard to 'the reader, unbinding, doubtful, fallible.
 
Hello Duane.

Nice post. Good points. I’ve always wondered how persons who are Bible believing in that their salvation comes from reading and interpreting the Bible alone for themselves can reconcile the historical facts about the actual book of the Bible with what they believe. I mean how did Jesus save anyone prior to its writing? That the first 325 years after Ascended into Heaven. The Bible took that long to be written and settled on. So no book to save folks with yet = no one saved after His Ascension. Okay. He couldn’t if it was the ONLY means of obtaining salvation. Instead of teaching and preaching and working miracles, He should’ve sat all His disciples down and given dictation instead. He would have said “Write this in remembrance of me” rather than “Do this in remembrance of me.” And not only that, but if the Bible is the only way to be saved, then until the printing press made it available, no one was saved except those few who either copied it for others or were rich enough to own a copy. That’s another 1200 years later, as in 325 plus 1200 gives you the 1500 it took to mass produce the Bible and it really wasn’t mass produced till about another hundred years latter. Okay. God still was very limited in who He could reach cause they had no book to read! And that means that God was not capable of saving most everyone in history since He came. Pretty far fetched and doesn’t say much about God’s ability to save folks. He needed a book to do it? Yeah right. Not much of a god at all. No thanks. I prefer believing something else. The Word is alive, and a Person, Jesus Christ and He is living in me and available for me in the Sacraments. Yeah. I believe. Amen brother.

Glenda
 
Hello Duane.

Nice post. Good points. I’ve always wondered how persons who are Bible believing in that their salvation comes from reading and interpreting the Bible alone for themselves can reconcile the historical facts about the actual book of the Bible with what they believe. I mean how did Jesus save anyone prior to its writing? That the first 325 years after Ascended into Heaven. The Bible took that long to be written and settled on. So no book to save folks with yet = no one saved after His Ascension. Okay. He couldn’t if it was the ONLY means of obtaining salvation. Instead of teaching and preaching and working miracles, He should’ve sat all His disciples down and given dictation instead. He would have said “Write this in remembrance of me” rather than “Do this in remembrance of me.” And not only that, but if the Bible is the only way to be saved, then until the printing press made it available, no one was saved except those few who either copied it for others or were rich enough to own a copy. That’s another 1200 years later, as in 325 plus 1200 gives you the 1500 it took to mass produce the Bible and it really wasn’t mass produced till about another hundred years latter. Okay. God still was very limited in who He could reach cause they had no book to read! And that means that God was not capable of saving most everyone in history since He came. Pretty far fetched and doesn’t say much about God’s ability to save folks. He needed a book to do it? Yeah right. Not much of a god at all. No thanks. I prefer believing something else. The Word is alive, and a Person, Jesus Christ and He is living in me and available for me in the Sacraments. Yeah. I believe. Amen brother.

Glenda
Hello Glenda,

Agree with your post. A few months back I posted a question asking the same thing on a thread. For 1500 years, most Christians could not read, how were they saved? I believe in some ways they had it easier. Why? Because they had what we have now. They had the shepherds, and the Sacraments, just like us, and that is more than enough to be saved. Unfortunately, we now also have the arrogance that has come with literacy, where everyone who can read has become their own authority. How many souls have been led astray by private interpretation? The very thing that St. Peter warns against, is what many have done. The reason I said a terrible weight, in my earlier post, is by throwing out the authority of the Church, they have said to Jesus: “I will be both shepherd and sheep.”
 
I think that one of the problems that come in on these kinds of discussions is that people on both sides tend to look at it in a forensic manner instead of charactological manner.
By this I mean we tend to talk about what we have (faith. works, grace, etc) instead of what we ARE (disciples of Christ, children of God, etc) .

We are not saved by what we “have” but by what we ARE…What we have, and what we do is based on what we are, and what we are shows in what we do.

Baptism is not just about being washed with water, either by pouring or immersion…It is about being immersed in the Will of God. It is about a complete overhaul - through repentance - of our lives,our focus, our very being. This is what is meant when Jesus speaks of being reborn.

Faith is in many ways the core of this. Without faith - that is a fully trusting commitment - how can we ever hope to be reborn or to grow in holiness? Yet faith by itself is be insufficient if it lacks love. Paul tells us this in no uncertain terms. Works then are the outpouring of this properly ordered love and faith…this repentance and rebirth.
We can rightly say that works are not a requirement since we have the thief on the cross as an example…yet there must be the desire and the intent to do the will of God (meaning good works) or else it is obvious that the faith we claim is dead.

So - We put off the old and put on the new. By grace we become a new creature. Not just “saved by (having) faith” but saved by BEING faith personified.

Now - God grant me the grace to live up to that which I have just written,

Peace
James
 
I’ve watched and listened to countless hours of debates and always find the Protestant position lacking, ON EVERYTHING.

Your OSAS position is built on sand. You cannot get around the fact that IF the Corinthians, Galatians, Romans etc. are already saved, then St. Paul is wasting his time in writing to them to correct their errors. He should be out preaching the Gospel to more pagans.

(Snipped for space)
I have been in many discussions with protestants on these matters and have come to this conclusion…
So long as Scripture provides passages that provide evidence for both arguments, one must go with the more scripturally inclusive option.
In this case (OSAS) since Scripture provides both passages giving great assurance that salvation cannot be lost AND passages saying that it can…one needs to go with the view that one cannot be dead certain of salvation on this side of the veil.

Does this mean that we cannot have great assurance? Of course not. If fact we should take great comfort and joy in that assurance. We just need to avoid taking God’s gift for granted…or thinking that we are somehow done reforming our lives.
We need to always remember the stoney and the thorny ground…lest we die out and bear no fruit.

Peace
James
 
I have been in many discussions with protestants on these matters and have come to this conclusion…
So long as Scripture provides passages that provide evidence for both arguments, one must go with the more scripturally inclusive option.
In this case (OSAS) since Scripture provides both passages giving great assurance that salvation cannot be lost AND passages saying that it can…one needs to go with the view that one cannot be dead certain of salvation on this side of the veil.

Does this mean that we cannot have great assurance? Of course not. If fact we should take great comfort and joy in that assurance. We just need to avoid taking God’s gift for granted…or thinking that we are somehow done reforming our lives.
We need to always remember the stoney and the thorny ground…lest we die out and bear no fruit.

Peace
James
Well stated. And with much more charity than I had in my replies.
 
Well stated. And with much more charity than I had in my replies.
Thanks. Can’t say I saw your replies as particularly uncharitable.

I think that for many of us, when we manage to have a good and serious conversation with somebody on these matters we tend to find ourselves not so far apart spiritually. It seems that we are kind of like the old saying (Oscar Wilde??): England and America are two countries divided by a common language. It just seems like many times Catholics and non-Catholics can be using the same words but hearing different meanings…🤷

Peace
James
 
I say when we take everything I was referring to passages on Eucharist in john] you end up with the protestant position,
I think debates help show that.
In the first 1,500 years of Christianity, one can not find an symbolic belief of the Lord’s Supper. Catholic East, Catholic West and Orthodox all believed in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. The apostolic faith - that which Christ taught - can also be read in the Early Church Father’s including St. Ignatius of Antioch and Justin Marytr:

“They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they confess not the Eucharist to be the flesh of our Saviour Jesus Christ, which suffered for our sins, and which the Father, of His goodness, raised up again.” Ignatius of Antioch, Epistle to Smyrnaeans, 7,1 (c. A.D. 110).

“For not as common bread and common drink do we receive these; but in like manner as Jesus Christ our Saviour, having been made flesh and blood for our salvation, so likewise have we been taught that the food which is blessed by the prayer of His word, and from which our blood and flesh by transmutation are nourished, is the flesh and blood of that Jesus who was made flesh.” Justin Martyr, First Apology, 66 (c. A.D. 110-165).
The very reason catholic doctrine cannot be reformed is because they only accept what rome teaches,
No reformation needed. The “Catholic Church” has no authority to change was Christ has established and taught. Believing in a symbolic Lord’s Supper is a significant break from teaching of Christ and the apostles.
we must find what we agree on and work from there.
Let’s continue reading what the early Church believed. No where do we find The Church believing in a symbolic Lord’s Supper. No where: not in Spain, not in Africa, not in Greece, not in Macedonia, not in Asia, not in the Middle East.

Do we agree on this point above or do you have evidence in a early Church belief in a symbolic Lord’s Supper?

“For the blood of the grape–that is, the Word–desired to be mixed with water, as His blood is mingled with salvation. And the blood of the Lord is twofold. For there is the blood of His flesh, by which we are redeemed from corruption; and the spiritual, that by which we are anointed. And to drink the blood of Jesus, is to become partaker of the Lord’s immortality; the Spirit being the energetic principle of the Word, as blood is of flesh. Accordingly, as wine is blended with water, so is the Spirit with man. And the one, the mixture of wine and water, nourishes to faith; while the other, the Spirit, conducts to immortality. And the mixture of both–of the water and of the Word–is called Eucharist, renowned and glorious grace; and they who by faith partake of it are sanctified both in body and soul.” Clement of Alexandria, The Instructor, 2 (ante A.D. 202).

“Having learn these things, and been fully assured that the seeming bread is not bread, though sensible to taste, but the Body of Christ; and that the seeming wine is not wine, though the taste will have it so, but the Blood of Christ; and that of this David sung of old, saying, And bread strengtheneth man’s heart, to make his face to shine with oil, ‘strengthen thou thine heart,’ by partaking thereof as spiritual, and “make the face of thy soul to shine.”” Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lectures, XXII:8 (c. A.D. 350).

PnP
 
In the first 1,500 years of Christianity, one can not find an symbolic belief of the Lord’s Supper. Catholic East, Catholic West and Orthodox all believed in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. The apostolic faith - that which Christ taught - can also be read in the Early Church Father’s including St. Ignatius of Antioch and Justin Marytr:
I think your own excellent quotes disprove your statement. There were people who denied the Real Presence. They were called heretics and apostates.
 
Thanks for post. I not sure why you feel you are running down my faith in any way?
Just to be clear. I didn’t think I was running down your faith… I thought that you may think that I was ‘attempting’ to do so, when the opposite is true.
I say when we take everything I was referring to passages on Eucharist in john] you end up with the protestant position, I think debates help show that.
I can’t imagine how. I think that there are some very clever people who can argue that black is white… but wearing the opposition down wouldn’t make that statement true.
The very reason catholic doctrine cannot be reformed is because they only accept what rome teaches,
As Duane says… ‘The reason that Catholic doctrines do not need reform is that they are TRUE. Why reform truth?’
just as Jehovah witnesses.
Jehovah’s Witnesses are not Catholic.
How do you know you are interpreting what the church is saying correctly? and why not the bible?. Of course our authority is different, you intprit passages a way the church tells you to, I dont see the church with that authority before posting typical catholic passages please watch debates on peter first pope etc] so that is why we must find what we agree on and work from there.
If you don’t wish me to post typical Catholic passages, I’m going to have a difficult time answering this… it is clearly written in the Scripture though, and if everybody were to interpret the Scriptures for themselves, we’d end up with multiple thousands… if not millions, of different perspectives.

I was wondering about whether you have read anything by the Early Church Fathers and whether you would be interested in doing so? I haven’t purposely read anything they have written, though to be fair I have seen the occasional quote. I figured you might be interested in us doing this because these were the people who were taught directly by the Apostles and it would give us a clearer understanding of what Jesus teaches us through the Apostles… it would also put us on a level playing field because the Church was united back in those times… so you and I, and the other posters, would be on the same side and in agreement. In the Gospel of John, it says that everything that Jesus did isn’t in the Bible so some aspects of Our Lord’s teaching may materialize there. Are you interested? And, hopefully others who are reading and responding to these posts will be interested too… we can perhaps all learn something together.
 
As an alternative… if you’re not keen on reading the Early Church Fathers, we could all pray to the Holy Spirit for an increase in faith and guidance… and go on from there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top