Markie Boy maybe “praying to saints” could be a minor issue compared to what seems like the 3 questions you should consider.
- are the saints alive?
- do you ask people to pray for you?
- why would you ask a person who may be close to God to pray for you over someone that must be close to God?
Peace!!!
After I found the love of Jesus (beyond doubt), I used to try to talk people out of praying to anyone except the Trinity using the line of logic you present here. It didn’t work and I couldn’t understand why it didn’t work. I’ve since learned that logic wasn’t the only necessary ingredient; I needed to consider the heart.
Two key factors came to light when I began asking questions:
- Several who prayed to Mary and/or the saints felt a sense of unworthiness to pray to God, Jesus or the Holy Spirit; feeling undeserving of Their attention or consideration. And unanswered prayers felt like rejection.
- Conscious or unconscious anger at/hate of God. Somehow praying to a saint who is ‘more human’ fulfills the need we feel to pray to someone outside of ourselves without confronting or admitting the underlying anger and confusion.
One person related that there is less disappointment when prayers aren’t answered when praying to non-Trinity persons than when one thinks that God/Jesus is ignoring their plight. More like as we say to friends, “That’s okay, thanks for trying.”
My own experience was going from being raised Catholic and then rejecting the God of the Old Testament who, in my mind, was too hateful for words, and Jesus being too cryptic. While I felt the pull to seek, I was angry that Salvation was not easier to Find.
I couldn’t understand others who prayed to non-Trinity persons because I was so hard-hearted that I prayed to no one. Until hitting bottom in alcoholism when I simply thought in my mind, from a place of giving up getting ‘out’ by my own efforts, “Somebody help me…I can’t do this…anymore.”
The ‘synchronicities’ that came after took me into sobriety…plus. My ‘Higher Power’ went from generic to Jesus.
I share that to express the connection I saw after asking why others prayed to non-Trinity persons. It wasn’t because I prayed to Jesus by name that I was delivered from alcoholism and spiritually fatal thinking, it was because my will (finally) admitted defeat and asked for help. Holy Spirit didn’t need me to supply a particular name, It read the kneeling condition of my heart and will. For so many years I was like the story of the little boy who was forced to sit down in church and who glared up at his mother and said, “I’m sitting down on the outside, but I’m standing up on the inside!”
We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful, the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts ((and wills))
Are better than a Hallelujah
(Amy Grant lyrics)
I don’t know where Marionology came from, but if it began from an Inspiration to provide an umbrella under which more of us could gather that leads to Jesus, then perhaps that is why the Catholic Church grew from the harsh conditons surrounding Vatican I and the infallibility statements of Marionology.
I’ve thought long and hard about
who the ‘shadow of Peter’ is who killed Ananias and Saphira, and who is the Spirit given the power to bind and loose.
Just as what gave the apostles and disciples of them the name of ‘saints’, it is the Holy Spirit who provides the Righteous in, “The petition of a Righteous man availeth much in its working.” It is the Presence of the Holy Spirit in a Pope that gives him the Authority of Peter’s position, not the position itself.
So, for point #2 of the OP, people
do feel compelled (spiritual instinct?) to ask other
living persons to pray for them - if they think (subconsciously or not) that that person has the Holy Spirit within them. I’ve heard many pastors remark about this on TV programs. (One of them said to a request, "Why are you asking
me? Why don’t you pray yourself?) Perhaps it’s because a person who has the Holy Spirit active within can petition that Power to ‘loose/forgive’ sins of others so that their ability to See is no longer blocked.
At least, that is what I deduce from Scripture. As St. Paul would ‘confer/grant posession/bring together the soul of another with the Holy Spirit’, he must first have had the Holy Spirit within himself. And somehow he passed It on to groups of people, so the Bible reports.
Most of this line of thinking comes from pondering how so many priests have ‘broken bad’. It is no surprise for the general population rejecting God and religion, but it boggled my mind for so many clergy to be so stricken.
Thus far, it appears possible that some of those ordained and ‘invested with the Holy Spirit’, actually participated in a ritual without Content - if the one doing the ‘laying of hands’ (or however it is done) was not Indwelt by the Holy Spirit. It just doesn’t sound plausible that someone truly Indwelt could engage in sexual sin.
This begs the question (for me, anyway) of whether it is possible for an Indwelt priest to confer the Holy Spirit on penitents who meet whatever criteria Paul used to do so. It just seems that there must be a way (that has been lost/temporarily misplaced) for
members of the Church to become Indwelt as well, so that the Catholic Church truly will be the Light in the Darkness we are faciing. No need for convincing others the Catholic Church is true; others would just be drawn to the hearts of the members.
This is just the ‘view from here’ at this time. There seems to have been an ‘influx’ of enlightened folk during the 1800s and there about…what brought it on?
Feeding Hope…