Calvary [2014 Film]

  • Thread starter Thread starter Havard
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Havard

Guest
catholicnews.com/data/movies/14mv092.htm

As a mystery enthusiast who is discerning a clerical/religious vocation, I’m pretty intrigued.

It deals with some dark issues (specifically a past case of clerical abuse and a looming threat of murder) but the CNS review suggests “McDonagh is mostly respectful, if unsparing, in his treatment of the contemporary church as he ably explores a range of hefty themes.”

Has anyone seen it or heard anything about it?
 
No, I never heard of it. But I read the summery. I’m sorry a movie like this was made. Even men and women of the clergy aren’t immune to the temptations of sin. I think we all know this by now, and a movie like this is meant to lead people away from the church, and God.
This is terrible because God is the only hope the world has.
God is real and so is Satan, and the war between good and evil is also real. Satan has pretty much convinced the world he isn’t real. For decades now, Satan has been a fictional character to make movies about. And unfortunately the clergy is not immune. I think the church has been dealing with sinful priests. This movie will only serve to turn young people away from God. I won’t watch it, because I consider it a sly seduction towards sin.
 
My pastor saw it and said it was a pretty good thriller…the characters were dark and odd, and he wished I would go see it so we could discuss it.
So…I’m waiting for it to come here.
He said it was “interestingly creepy”. LOL
 
No, I never heard of it. But I read the summery. I’m sorry a movie like this was made. Even men and women of the clergy aren’t immune to the temptations of sin. I think we all know this by now, and a movie like this is meant to lead people away from the church, and God.
This is terrible because God is the only hope the world has.
God is real and so is Satan, and the war between good and evil is also real. Satan has pretty much convinced the world he isn’t real. For decades now, Satan has been a fictional character to make movies about. And unfortunately the clergy is not immune. I think the church has been dealing with sinful priests. This movie will only serve to turn young people away from God. I won’t watch it, because I consider it a sly seduction towards sin.
This is actually a very well-made, complicated film with a good priest as the protagonist. Here is a more detailed review: americamagazine.org/issue/211/acts-contrition
 
It sounds like an interesting premise. My wife and I watched the trailer and read the CNS review and decided to wait for Netflix so that we have the option to walk away if the rough parts are too much (“the sufferer’s harshly candid description of his experiences” and the “brief but extremely gory violence”).
 
Thank you all for your responses. I am looking forward to seeing it!
 
No, I never heard of it. But I read the summery. I’m sorry a movie like this was made. Even men and women of the clergy aren’t immune to the temptations of sin. I think we all know this by now, and a movie like this is meant to lead people away from the church, and God.
This is terrible because God is the only hope the world has.
God is real and so is Satan, and the war between good and evil is also real. Satan has pretty much convinced the world he isn’t real. For decades now, Satan has been a fictional character to make movies about. And unfortunately the clergy is not immune. I think the church has been dealing with sinful priests. This movie will only serve to turn young people away from God. I won’t watch it, because I consider it a sly seduction towards sin.
Well you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover - or a movie by its summary. Have you watched the trailer to the movie?
 
I just heard of the movie the other day when I was reading reviews of God Is Not Dead. A movie I did not like and was happy to see that others didn’t like it for the same reasons I didn’t.

Anyhow one of the critics mentioned the movie Cavalry and that it was a good movie. It does sound intriguing and I will probably wait until it comes out in DVD because I doubt if it will come to our town.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top