Can a Catholics listen to Billy Graham's teachings?

• Thread starter Thread starter RL_Adducul
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
@RL_Adducul
Dr. David Anders, of Called to Communion fame,
and The Catholic Church Saved My Marriage
a former Presbyterian, listens to anything that agrees
with the Biblical Teachings of The Catholic Church.
We have far more in agreement with Billy Graham than
disagreement. Just avoid any negative apologetics,
polemics & propaganda.
But the hope in JESUS The Beloved Redeemer he
conveys by Scriptural proofs that don’t disagree
with The Catholic Church truly help inspire many.
Peace.
Being Ecumenical and cooperating as best we can,
shows we are Christian by our charity.
“Ubi caritas et amor, Deus ibi est.
Congregavit nos in unum Christi amor.”
from the song.
English: “Where charity and love are, God is there.
Love of Christ has gathered us into one.”
source: "Ubi Caritas" Lyrics and English Translation

The real life story of how Dr. David Anders came to the Catholic Church gladdens to heart in light of the sad divisions. As a Presbyterian in Seminary,
he went to do a paper and learned about The Reformation.
BTW, it wasn’t started by ‘Luder’ who changed his name to ‘Luther.’
It was a term coined in the 1400s because of all the corruption and abuses
of the time. It seems the likes of Francis of Assisi and others had a limited effect. That there was a need for Reformation or what is commonly referred today as ‘Renewal’ or ‘New Evangelization,’ there is not doubt.
~
Dr. David Anders a humble man, decide to get past the divisive polemics
and propaganda from the middle ages until our very day. He ended up studying
the Early Church Writings and more - realizing the Protestants cherry picked them for things such as ‘Sola Scriptura,’ and ‘Faith Alone,’ false theologies.
~
We must remember things like Fr. Pacwa teaching that we don’t know the more perfect Liturgy in Heaven even though in providence we have the best we can by The Catholic Church. And only GOD knows if someone doesn’t become in Communion with The Catholic Church like Orthodoxy and whole Parishes of Episcopalians whereby we do have some married Priests because they were married already, (As shown on The Journey Home on EWTN) - that if someone doesn’t become in Communion as a full act of the human freewill as a betrayal of JESUS for some selfish reason rather than misunderstanding history.
Peace.

Last edited:
He doesn’t seem to say anything that would trouble a Catholic.
Personally, though, I would prefer to be fed spiritually by a Catholic.

Last edited:
Sure you can. If Billy said anything contrary to the Catholic faith, just reject that part.
I never heard him say anything contrary, but I haven’t read all of his works nor listened to all of his recorded speeches.

Billy Graham was an evangelist more than a teacher per se, as I understand it. I came to know Christ at one of his crusades many moons ago. Although a Baptist, his message was generic enough that hardly any Christian group had doctrinal problems with it.

At his crusades, his organization worked with all Christian communities — including Catholics— to provide counselors for follow-up counseling and would try to steer the person to a counselor of his or her Christian faith community. For example, if the person coming forward was a Presbyterian, the counselor was instructed to put him or her in touch with local Presbyterians in his or her area, as was the case with Catholics, Baptists, Methodists, etc.
His message was to draw people to follow Christ, not to increase one specific denomination’s congregants.

Rev Graham actually received criticism from some hardline Protestant fundamentalists for including Catholic laymen and priests as counselors at his crusades and steering those who self-identified as Catholic to them for follow up. He insisted on including Catholics in spite of the criticism.

Last edited:
I have one of his books, titled Storm Warning. It is very good. He said this about Pope John Paul II: “Boy that Pope sure can Pope!”

In context with Catholic teaching, Mr. Graham presented a clear series of warnings about Western society. All of it lined up with Church teaching and common sense.

That’s why he was so popular with everybody. I’m sure some of his fellow Evangelicals would complain that he watered it down too much. However, they won’t be lying in state in the Capitol Rotunda when they pass.

I made sure to go troop by Billy’s coffin at the Capitol just because it may be the first and last time we ever see a clergyman/ preacher/ religious person getting that honor. Sang Amazing Grace and How Great Thou Art over the casket with a bunch of random people I assume were probably Protestant, although there were two Dominican fathers in the whole white habit with huge rosaries in the line ahead of me.

Didn’t he say in one of his speeches that one can never lose salvation?
My understanding is all Baptists subscribe to ‘once saved, always saved’. Dangerous thing to listen to.

If you are sound and well grounded in your faith, it will cause no harm as you can spot the errors. If you focus on the Christina virtues of faith, hope and love contained within them, you will not be far from the truth.

Kenneth Copeland - not so much.

Didn’t he say in one of his speeches that one can never lose salvation?
My understanding is all Baptists subscribe to ‘once saved, always saved’. Dangerous thing to listen to.
He was a Southern Baptist minister, so he did believe in eternal security. But he never taught that you could live a life of sin and still be saved. He believed that if people lived sinful lives it meant they were never saved in the first place, and he also recognized that people could deceive themselves about whether they were truly converted.

That’s why he was so popular with everybody. I’m sure some of his fellow Evangelicals would complain that he watered it down too much. However, they won’t be lying in state in the Capitol Rotunda when they pass.

I made sure to go troop by Billy’s coffin at the Capitol just because it may be the first and last time we ever see a clergyman/ preacher/ religious person getting that honor. Sang Amazing Grace and How Great Thou Art over the casket with a bunch of random people I assume were probably Protestant, although there were two Dominican fathers in the whole white habit with huge rosaries in the line ahead of me.
My issue with Billy Graham is not so much with anything I heard him say. (Admittedly, I don’t know everything he said.) It’s more of an actions-speak-louder-than-words issue: I’m troubled by the way his son Franklin automatically inherited his father’s authority.

I’m troubled by the way his son Franklin automatically inherited his father’s authority.
First, whatever Franklin is doing now is not Billy’s fault as Billy is dead.

Second, Franklin is nowhere near as well known as Billy was in his heyday. I actually didn’t even realize they were related until recently. Billy on the other hand was a household word. I myself don’t pay much attention to Franklin Graham. I think the best days of all the “celebrity evangelists” died in the 80s with the Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart scandals, not to mention a number of others whose churches went broke

Third, we’re in a different era where public expression of Christianity has become extremely politicized rather than just reflecting the way the vast majority of the United States thinks already.

I liken listening/reading Billy Graham to eating a turkey leg. There is a lot of meat there that will nourish you, but you just need to watch out for the bones and tendons and eat around them.

40.png
Tis_Bearself:

My issue with Billy Graham is not so much with anything I heard him say. (Admittedly, I don’t know everything he said.) It’s more of an actions-speak-louder-than-words issue: I’m troubled by the way his son Franklin automatically inherited his father’s authority.
I too am wary of sons profiting from their fathers ministry. However, that is the way things go whether it be business, politics or life in general. I know I enjoy undeserved respect from people in my community that is a result of my father.

I’m troubled by the way his son Franklin automatically inherited his father’s authority.
Franklin Graham has influence. I wouldn’t say he has “authority.” He isn’t any kind of ecclesiastical leader. But he’s nowhere near as influential as his father was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back