W
wjhii
Guest
Is there any reference in the old or new testiment to a person being born without a soul?
You mean your going to hell? That’s sad.No, every living person has an eternal soul. The question is where will this soul spend eternity? I know for sure where I’m going(heaven-purgatory doesn’t exist), do you?
Interesting point. But I have always understood that stillborn babies had souls, but went to Purgatory because they died in anCorrect, but some children are born dead.
Stillborn.
A child who dies in childbirth qualifies, and this was common though generally not recorded.
The word for spirit (and by extension soul) is pneuma – the loss of breath is pneumonia.
So you can see that physical death would be what is understood in the O.T.
hope that helps.
I think he meant that Purgatory doesn’t exist, and he is going straight to Heaven.You mean your going to hell? That’s sad.
Heaven-bound in Jesus Christ alone. Think of all that unmerited favor it takes to make what is dead(spiritually) alive, a new creation, “born-again”, regenerated, justified, glorified, sealed with the Holy Spirit, seated in the heavenlies, made kings and priests unto God by Christ. The name that every knee will bow, every tongue confess Jesus Christ is Lord.I think he meant that Purgatory doesn’t exist, and he is going straight to Heaven.
Stillborn infants do have souls, but as they die before birth, their souls are separated from their bodies. So then, when their bodies finally are born, they are born without a soul, which was what the questioner asked.Interesting point. But I have always understood that stillborn babies had souls, but went to Purgatory because they died in an un-baptized state.
Reread your orginal post. Your states heaven doesn’t exsist. By your insult I assumed you some type of Godless sinner.No, every living person has an eternal soul. The question is where will this soul spend eternity? I know for sure where I’m going(heaven-purgatory doesn’t exist), do you?
I missed that point, my fault but it was an excellent point. I agree with you on Purgatory but I believe our views may be contrary to that of the Church. I know at one point the church believed that Purgatory was a permanent resting place for good people of the Islamic faith, the un-baptized, good people without faith, and even at one point Jews. But this is all from Dante. What is the current teaching?Stillborn infants do have souls, but as they die before birth, their souls are separated from their bodies. So then, when their bodies finally are born, they are born without a soul, which was what the questioner asked.
As to whether their souls go to Purgatory, I doubt it, but even if so that would be a moot point because Purgatory is a temporary state. Everyone who goes to purgatory eventually gets to Heaven.
Are you referring to the “golem” of the Kabbalistic texts? (Kabbalah is a sort of “hidden” mystical Jewish religion that has recently gained popularity with shallow celebrities – Madonna is a practicioner. Think of “Jewish New Age.”)Is there any reference in the old or new testiment to a person being born without a soul?
No, I’m just trying to learn something new.I don’t have the answer, but it sounds like I need toread Psalm 139:16.Are you referring to the “golem” of the Kabbalistic texts? (Kabbalah is a sort of “hidden” mystical Jewish religion that has recently gained popularity with shallow celebrities – Madonna is a practicioner. Think of “Jewish New Age.”)
Definition: Artificially created (soulless) human being endowed with life by supernatural means.
According to Kabbalistic texts, Adam was supposedly a golem before God breathed life into him (thus giving him a soul). According to Kabbalah, one can create their own universe by creating golem using a system of magic based on something called Jacob’s Wheel.
Some see the reference in Psalm 139:16 as being a reference to golem (unformed substance), but that’s a stretch.
'thann
Lame…No, every living person has an eternal soul. The question is where will this soul spend eternity? I know for sure where I’m going(heaven-purgatory doesn’t exist), do you?
I think you’re confusing Limbo with Purgatory. Purgatory is a state in which those who die in grace but who still have temporal penalities for venial faults undergo purgation. Doctrine holds that Christ freed us from our sins, but unless we have perfect contrition, there still remain temporal consequences for our sins. Basically, if we don’t do pennance in this life, we do it in Purgatory.I missed that point, my fault but it was an excellent point. I agree with you on Purgatory but I believe our views may be contrary to that of the Church. I know at one point the church believed that Purgatory was a permanent resting place for good people of the Islamic faith, the un-baptized, good people without faith, and even at one point Jews. But this is all from Dante. What is the current teaching?
The existence of Limbo is a bit more elusive. Here’s the definition from New Advent again:Purgatory (Lat., “purgare”, to make clean, to purify) in accordance with Catholic teaching is a place or condition of temporal punishment for those who, departing this life in God’s grace, are, not entirely free from venial faults, or have not fully paid the satisfaction due to their transgressions.
So there would actually be two Limbos: one where the righteous waited in bliss until the coming of Christ, and one where unbaptized infants “enjoy a state of perfect natural happiness,” albeit separate from God.In theological usage the name is applied to (a) the temporary place or state of the souls of the just who, although purified from sin, were excluded from the beatific vision until Christ’s triumphant ascension into Heaven (the “limbus patrum”); or (b) to the permanent place or state of those unbaptized children and others who, dying without grievous personal sin, are excluded from the beatific vision on account of original sin alone (the “limbus infantium” or “puerorum”).