Can a married protestant minister become a priest

  • Thread starter Thread starter hilarycotter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hilarycotter

Guest
I realize that married priests of other Catholic rites can become Catholic priests and remain married, but I thought there were some rules about married protestant ministers, converting to Catholicism, and becoming priests and remaining married?

Can anyone set me straight here?

Thanks!

Hilary
 
I realize that married priests of other Catholic rites can become Catholic priests and remain married, but I thought there were some rules about married protestant ministers, converting to Catholicism, and becoming priests and remaining married?

Hilary
Yep.

pastoralprovision.org/

And it’s not just for Anglicans any more.
 
oohhhh!!! Nice - thanks. I don’t think I knew about this.

But my wife and I were discussing this and she said - Episcopal is not Presbyterian. We were both wondering why Scott Hahn did not become a priest.

You seem to indicate that this option is not restricted to Episcopalians.

BTW - on an unrelated note - did you know that Episcopal is an anagram of Pepsi-Cola?
 
Yes! Married protestant minister can absolutely become a priest! It is a little more tricky of a process, since they need special permissions, but it happens!

It actually happened in my parish. We are blessed with a wonderful married, ex-Lutheran priest!
 
It is a *possibility *but not a necessity.
But my wife and I were discussing this and she said - Episcopal is not Presbyterian. We were both wondering why Scott Hahn did not become a priest.
Why does any man *not become a priest *-- Perhaps he did not hear a call to the priesthood?

🤷
tee
 
oohhhh!!! Nice - thanks. I don’t think I knew about this.

But my wife and I were discussing this and she said - Episcopal is not Presbyterian. We were both wondering why Scott Hahn did not become a priest.

You seem to indicate that this option is not restricted to Episcopalians.
I know I’ve heard of a married (ex)Lutheran priest on The Journey Home with Marcus Grodi. chnetwork.org/Journey%20Home.html

Also, maybe Steve Wood (ex Presbyterian) could help you: familylifecenter.net/
BTW - on an unrelated note - did you know that Episcopal is an anagram of Pepsi-Cola?
Well, well!! I knew it all along!!
 
There’s at least one married former Baptist minister:

clericalwhispers.blogspot.com/2008/08/married-ex-baptist-minister-to-become.html

A number of married Anglican, Episcopalian, and Lutheran ministers have become Catholic priests.

The Anglicans and Episcopalians have been the most common, and that provision has been expanded with the recent proposal to allow whole Anglican parishes to convert and keep their distinct traditions.

Lutheran:
firstthings.com/onthesquare/2010/04/what-can-the-catholic-church-learn-from-married-priests

This statement by Archbishop Timothy Dolan indicates that there have been married former Presbyterian and Methodist ministers made priests as well:
catholicdoors.com/faq/qu143.htm
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top