Can a mass be said for a non-Catholic soul?

• Thread starter Thread starter Roamin_Catholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roamin_Catholic

I see a lot of masses said for the souls of the departed and was wondering if it is OK to ask a priest to say a mass for my mother who died last year. She was a non-Catholic, non-denominational Christian who loved the Lord very much. Without her leading me to the Lord I doubt I would ever have reached this point of seriously considering converting to Catholicism. I worry about her soul and don’t like the thought of her in Purgatory. I understand that saying mass for the departed soul may help ease the torments of those in Purgatory or even get them released. Therefore, Is it “kosher” for me to ask a Priest to say a mass for my non-Catholic mother, and if so, will his answer be “yes” or “no?”

First, if your Mother is in Purgatory…that’s GOOD NEWS! If she is in purgatory, then your mother is preparing for the eternal wedding banquet with the God and the rest of the countless numbers in Heaven. Continue to pray for your mothers soul!
I surely would advise seeing a priest about saying a mass for her. Let him know how much you love her, and how you desire to join your prayers for her eternal soul with the prayers of the whole church, both in Heaven and on Earth.
God bless, and keep praying!

Justin

40.png
Roamin_Catholic:
I see a lot of masses said for the souls of the departed and was wondering if it is OK to ask a priest to say a mass for my mother who died last year. She was a non-Catholic, non-denominational Christian who loved the Lord very much. Without her leading me to the Lord I doubt I would ever have reached this point of seriously considering converting to Catholicism. I worry about her soul and don’t like the thought of her in Purgatory. I understand that saying mass for the departed soul may help ease the torments of those in Purgatory or even get them released. Therefore, Is it “kosher” for me to ask a Priest to say a mass for my non-Catholic mother, and if so, will his answer be “yes” or “no?”
Absolutely, Yes! Jesus came to save all so we need to pray for those who have gone before us. Do you think those who might be in Purgatory are asked whether or not they are Catholics before our prayers for the are answered.

In the Eucharistic Prayers where we pray for the deceased I don’t remember it be prayed only for Catholics.

I am sorry for your loss of your Morher. I have lost both of my parents and I look forward to the time I will see them again.

God Bless You,
DigitalDeacon

Thank you so much for your answers! Although my mother was non-denom protestant, I’m sure she is in Heaven or at least on the way there via Purgatory. I’d sure like to help boost her out of there to make it all the way home.She suffered quite a bit on earth before she left, so I’m hoping that some, if not all of that, will count toward time in Purgatory.

My relationship with my mother brought me to a fuller understanding of the relationship Jesus and his mother. This in turn pointed me in the direction of the Catholic Church, with a little help from Mel Gibson’s “Passion” which I think really underscored the bond between Jesus and Mary.

Again thanks for your answers and I’ll remember you all in my prayers!

Yes. Just to add another voice, I read on the EWTN Forum that this is allowed. May God have mercy on your dear mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back