Can a non-Catholic receive ashes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter belange
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

belange

Guest
Once again, I will be attending the children’s mass with my granddaughter on Ash Wednesday at her school. Will I be able to receive ashes? I want to participate as fully as possible. I have been to several masses, but this will be the first Ash Wednesday mass for me. Is there anything I need to do to prepare?:confused:
Thank you!
 
Yes, you can. They are a sacramental, not a Sacrament, so as far as I know anyone may receive the ashes.
 
Yes, you can. They are a sacramental, not a Sacrament, so as far as I know anyone may receive the ashes.
Of course. It should be noted that Catholics are not the only ones to distribute ashes on Ash Wednesday.
 
Once again, I will be attending the children’s mass with my granddaughter on Ash Wednesday at her school. Will I be able to receive ashes? I want to participate as fully as possible. I have been to several masses, but this will be the first Ash Wednesday mass for me. Is there anything I need to do to prepare?:confused:
Thank you!
You can skip breakfast (if in the morning) and eat after the mass. One thing to be aware of, it is Catholic practice not to remove the ashes from one’s forehead till the evening. so you may be mistaken for a Catholic (sorry, no pun intended)…:D;)
 
You can skip breakfast (if in the morning) and eat after the mass. One thing to be aware of, it is Catholic practice not to remove the ashes from one’s forehead till the evening. so you may be mistaken for a Catholic (sorry, no pun intended)…:D;)
Why would she skip breakfast?
 
Why would she skip breakfast?
That puzzled me, too. Perhaps Pablope was assumimg there would be (wrongly) ‘open’ communion. Or thinking that the fasting requirement applied to receiving the ashes? Very odd.
 
Why would she skip breakfast?
I assume it is to partake of the spirit of penance and mortification for her sins. Ash Wednesday repentance is for all men, regardless of denomination. We are called to be perfect as our Father is perfect, and even heretics and pagans like myself have to do our best by our conscience. 👍
 
There is no problem with a non-Catholic receiving ashes, or any other sacramental such as blessing self with Holy Water. However, they should be received as a sign of your intent to do penance in the coming period of Lent, and not as some magic or good-luck symbol.

There is no requirement to keep the ashes on for any specified period of time.

We regularly have our RCIA participants, who are not yet Catholic, receive the ashes.
 
I assume it is to partake of the spirit of penance and mortification for her sins. Ash Wednesday repentance is for all men, regardless of denomination. We are called to be perfect as our Father is perfect, and even heretics and pagans like myself have to do our best by our conscience. 👍
Agreed…this was was my intent when i suggested skipping breakfast. 👍
 
You don’t have to be Catholic to receive ashes, but according to my Priest you must be baptized. The only exception to this are those that are not baptized but are in RCIA and preparing to be received into the church this Easter.
 
Thank you for all the responses! It looks like I am in good shape to receive ashes. I am a baptized Christian (baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit) and do intend to repent of my sins and spend the days of Lent in self-examination and reflection. I want to participate as fully as I can in this season leading up to and including Easter. I have no problem being seen with ashes on my forehead. I work in a public school and would consider it a great witness, since God has been removed from school these days!
Thank you again, friends!!🙂
 
Ash Wed and Palm Sunday Masses tend to draw a larger attendance. One of our priests has commented, “It is because we are giving something away”. They are very traditional observances.
 
Ash Wed and Palm Sunday Masses tend to draw a larger attendance. One of our priests has commented, “It is because we are giving something away”. They are very traditional observances.
Ah the A&P Catholics. [A&P is or was a food chain in the east - the Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company]
 
Well, I attended the Ash Wednesday mass with my granddaughter. We both received ashes. I found the mass very meaningful. I also found it a very interesting way to talk to the children at the public school where I teach. I was surprised at how even some of the adults I work with did not know what my ashes were!
The only thing I had a problem with was I didn’t have any printed booklet to follow the mass. I knew some of what was expected due to my watching mass on EWTN as well as my Lutheran (very strict) upbringing, but I was rather lost for a good bit of it. They also said a novena at the end, which I had forgotten they did, so I had no booklet for that either. What do us “newcomers” do so that we aren’t so lost an confused?? Please help! Thank you!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top