G
GwenL
Guest
I got into a “lively”
discussion this evening wtih some folks (all Catholic) on this topic. Here’s the situation: there is a politician who claims to be Catholic, and is publicly pro-abortion. This politician publicly disagrees with the Church on the issue, and publicly tells other Catholics that it’s OK for them to also support a woman’s right to an abortion. This politician has sponsored and voted for legislation that makes it easy for minors to get abortions, has sponsored legislation creating and funding programs that conduct abortions overseas. This politician publicly attends Mass every Sunday and publicly receives communion. So, here’s the question. Can a local parish priest refuse to give the politician communion? I’m not asking how it should be handled–but rather, in accordance with canon law and/or Church teachings, can the priest refuse communion?
I know, in some recent cases (the Rhode Island Kennedy comes to mind), the bishop wrote a letter to the person asking that they NOT receive communion, that they meet for catechesis with the bishop, etc. (And that the politician made the letter public, not the bishop or the Church). But, could the bishop have decided that the politician was NOT to receive communion?
I’m not asking whether or not the politician *should *receive, but whether the priest or bishop can refuse them communion.
I know, in some recent cases (the Rhode Island Kennedy comes to mind), the bishop wrote a letter to the person asking that they NOT receive communion, that they meet for catechesis with the bishop, etc. (And that the politician made the letter public, not the bishop or the Church). But, could the bishop have decided that the politician was NOT to receive communion?
I’m not asking whether or not the politician *should *receive, but whether the priest or bishop can refuse them communion.