G
GwenL
Guest
Bingo. I was wondering the “legality.” Yet another separate conversation would be “why don’t they refuse communion?” especially when considering some of our more prominent “Catholic” pro-abort politicians.Can, should and does could well be three seperate conversations.
I would think, though, that such a decision would be difficult to apply uniformly. Let’s say the Archbishop of San Fran tells a politician “you are not to receive communion,” and even sends such a directive to all the priests in the archdiocese. What’s to stop the politician from receiving in Washington, or wherever she travels?
On the other hand, when a person presents themself for communion, how would the priest know that they haven’t received absolution through reconciliation? Even if the person is a politician well-known for pro-abort actions, there’s always the hope that they will change.
I do understand that it is the individual who is placing themselves in mortal danger by receiving unworthily. The judgement in the end will be the Lord’s. But the scandal is pretty horrendous, as is the perception of unequal treatment.