Can a soul become to no-existence?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lylebr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lylebr

Guest
I would like to know if someone after his death says:

“I don’t wanna go to the heaven, I want my soul stop existing forever, It would be better.”

God could make this happen to him? Thanks.
 
I would like to know if someone after his death says:

“I don’t wanna go to the heaven, I want my soul stop existing forever, It would be better.”

God could make this happen to him? Thanks.
God CAN do anything He wants, but He does NOT do all things… especially not those which are self-contradictory. We are imbued with an eternal nature, meaning that existance for eternity is part of what we are as human beings. Ergo, God would NOT grant such a wish, because such a wish is contradictory to what is in our nature… the person who wishes for such a thing is essentially asking to be made an animal rather than a human.
 
God CAN do anything He wants, but He does NOT do all things… especially not those which are self-contradictory. We are imbued with an eternal nature, meaning that existance for eternity is part of what we are as human beings. Ergo, God would NOT grant such a wish, because such a wish is contradictory to what is in our nature… the person who wishes for such a thing is essentially asking to be made an animal rather than a human.
I would just make one correction. We are made with an -]eternal nature/-] immortal nature
 
I would just make one correction. We are made with an -]eternal nature/-] immortal nature
bah, that’s what I meant, but I had a brain fart and couldn’t remember the exact term off the top of my head :rolleyes:

Thanks!
 
I would like to know if someone after his death says:

“I don’t wanna go to the heaven, I want my soul stop existing forever, It would be better.”

God could make this happen to him? Thanks.
No. And I think at the root of this question is a fundamental misunderstanding of Heaven.
 
God could, but he wouldn’t, because it’s not in his plan. But more to the point, why would anyone want that? I know for myself I sometimes have intrusive visions of death being nothingness and it scares me like nothing else could. If I didn’t have the belief in a loving God and an eternal soul, I’d probably go catatonic from fear.
 
No.

First of all, God knows better.

Second, what God creates stays eternally, because all God creates is very good. Life is the utmost gift of love (Christ Himself said: “I am the Life”), thus the soul is immortal.

Besides, it is ridiculous to reject an infinite ecstasy of bliss, joy, and happiness. Souls that chose hell over heaven (that is, souls that choose to be separated from God) do it out of hatred. That choice is made in life - in the afterlife, when the soul finds herself at the ineffable presence of the Almighty, the choice will move the soul either to embrace the Creator or to run away from Him.
 
No.

First of all, God knows better. Yes

Second, what God creates stays eternally, because all God creates is very good.
Not eternally…but yes that which is created to be immortal…remains such …but much is not of that nature

Life is the utmost gift of love (Christ Himself said: “I am the Life”), thus the soul is immortal. The life there he was speaking of was supra-natural life in particular…the true life we have in Christ

Besides, it is ridiculous to reject an infinite ecstasy of bliss, joy, and happiness.Yes such would not be a good or reasonable choice

Souls that chose hell over heaven (that is, souls that choose to be separated from God) do it out of hatred. Some do so out of hatred – one need not though hate God to commit a mortal sin and die in that stateThat choice is made in life - in the afterlife, when the soul finds herself at the ineffable presence of the Almighty, the choice will move the soul either to embrace the Creator or to run away from Him.
 
But Why would he obligate someone to have an eternal life when he doesn’t want one?
 
Tis the very meaning of their creation…

Now can someone reject* life*? --yes. Unhappily so.

Hopefully they will not reject the offer of true life.
 
I would like to know if someone after his death says:

“I don’t wanna go to the heaven, I want my soul stop existing forever, It would be better.”

God could make this happen to him? Thanks.
Why do you not want to go to heaven?
 
What I’m really interested to know, is that if "Hell’ may be a state of non-existence?

If someone was atheist at his hole life, and he accepted his destiny of eternal no-existence, God could give this “hell” to this person, couldnt?
 
If I was concerned about my soul going to hell, I would hope it would not exist after death.
 
But Why, How? Does anybody have any document of the church stating that?
 
But Why, How? Does anybody have any document of the church stating that?
It is a heretic doctrine that hell is a state of non-existence.

The Church has plenty of official teachings on this topic. Perhaps the most relevant one is the Catechism: go here, scroll down to “Hell” and you will find (I include the working links):
Hell
the Church’s teaching on, 1036
as the consequence of the continual rejection of God, 1034
definition of, 1033-34
eternal separation from God as hell’s chief punishment, 1035
as the free and willful turning away from God, 1037
mortal sin as the cause of eternal death, 1861
Also, to better understand the meaning of immortal soul, you may want to review this section of the Catechism: “I believe in life everlasting”, which is part of the Symbolum Apostolorum attributed to the Apostles.
 
Why?? Because hell is an absence of God, love, and everything that is good. I was very depressed a few years back. For me, it was like hell on earth. Without the love of God, family and friends, who know what I might have done.

There are many places in the bible that speak about how horrid hell is. Not a place I want to spend my eternity.
 
What I really question is because I think God would be unfair to obligate someone to have an eternal life when he doesn’t want.

After the Apocalipse, what’s gonna be of our world? where the hell souls gonna be?
 
What I really question is because I think God would be unfair to obligate someone to have an eternal life when he doesn’t want.

After the Apocalipse, what’s gonna be of our world? where the hell souls gonna be?
Eternal life is not like this life we are living.

After this life ends, the soul detaches from the body and either stays at the presence of God - which is a fully blissful vision - or is separated from Him for an eternity of torment (such is the punishment for the evildoers who reject God and harm others in life).

After the Apocalipse, the soul and the body will be joined again, but not the same body, rather what we call a glorified body (much like the one the Lord had after His resurrection), and again there will be a resurrection of joy and a resurrection of condemnation.

All of these are really basic Christian truths that we ought to learn, not things open to questioning…also, we know that God is the fullness of justice, thus any time we think He is being unfair, we are obviously mistaken.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top