Can Angels control the weather?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sunsetclouds
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sunsetclouds

Like the title, can angels control the weather, can they control the waves of the ocean, can they control gravity, can they control the sun?

And if so, then can demons control these things as well?

IE cause a avalanche? Tsunami?

They are instruments of God in that sense. Their will is aligned with God’s, so they do nothing on earth that God has not told them to.

So if God told them to, would they have to say “In the Name of the Lord do this”, or would they be able to just do it?

I’m asking this because I was in a cult that proclaimed Jesus was an angel, but it’s my understanding that only God can control these things, such as how Jesus did in this this verse:

“Where is your faith?” he asked his disciples. In fear and amazement they asked one another, “Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him.”
Luke 8:25

I don’t think they need to say this. At least it wasn’t recorded in the Bible. They just do things.

An “angel” can do God’s will. Certainly God can use them and has in the past to intervene in physical realms. For instance angels don’t have bodies but angels have appeared with bodies doing physical things. This is biblical. It is similar to Our Lady and something like the miracle of the Sun at Fatima, or the miracle of the snows in Rome or our lady of Guadalupe with roses. These things are permitted and even directed by God through other beings.

Last edited:
Agree. A passage from revelations comes to mind:
Rev. 7:1-3 After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth, that no wind might blow on earth or sea or against any tree. 2 Then I saw another angel ascend from the rising of the sun, with the seal of the living God, and he called with a loud voice to the four angels who had been given power to harm earth and sea, 3 saying, “Do not harm the earth or the sea or the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God upon their foreheads.”

Not in the sense of human free will. They are incapable of evil.

So then in this case, it is reasonable to say the Jesus could be an angel, and direct the wind and waves to His command? So it is not proof of His Divinity?

They could exercise that type of free will only once. According to St Thomas Aquinas.

No. Jesus is God. Jesus is not an angel, which is obvious because he was tempted to have angels save him. An angel of a not a creature with a body.

That doesn’t discredit him in my eyes. By the same logic, all atheists should be Nietzsche-style nihilists but apparently most are ‘moral’.

Last edited:
Then how did the angels rebel against God?
Catechism of the Catholic Church
392 Scripture speaks of a sin of these angels.269 This “fall” consists in the free choice of these created spirits, who radically and irrevocably rejected God and his reign. …

393 It is the irrevocable character of their choice, and not a defect in the infinite divine mercy, that makes the angels’ sin unforgivable. "There is no repentance for the angels after their fall, just as there is no repentance for men after death."272

395 The power of Satan is, nonetheless, not infinite. He is only a creature, powerful from the fact that he is pure spirit, but still a creature. He cannot prevent the building up of God’s reign. Although Satan may act in the world out of hatred for God and his kingdom in Christ Jesus, and although his action may cause grave injuries - of a spiritual nature and, indirectly, even of a physical nature- to each man and to society, the action is permitted by divine providence which with strength and gentleness guides human and cosmic history. It is a great mystery that providence should permit diabolical activity, but "we know that in everything God works for good with those who love him."275

The angels can do just whatever God tells them to do. The demons can do only what God permits them to do. Bottom line; God is in charge.

They cannot control it but God can give order and permission to angels to influence nature and do His will. As St. Faustina saw an angel over Poland who was to punish the state (by God’s command and not an angel’s) and only the prayers of few faithful souls delayed the punishment for some time.

Last edited:
Angels have he power to affect physical reality. An angel could for example lift and carry a car or truck if it wanted to.
I believe that angels – at least the more powerful ones–could alter weather by affecting winds or the like.

An angel of God will not do anything against God’s will; but that’s not the same issue as whether they have the power to do things.
Evil angels–devils–still have power but God constrains them, limiting what they can do. I’m sure a devil could raise a storm if God did not forbid it.
The angels can do just whatever God tells them to do. The demons can do only what God permits them to do. Bottom line; God is in charge.
Just so. 🙂 God is in charge. ✝️

Last edited:
The angels had free will when they were created, which they used to make a choice either for God or against Him.

Instead of only one opportunity, God has granted us many opportunities to choose . But there’s a time limit!! The state of our soul at the time of death will be permanent - just as it was for the angels after only one opportunity.

Last edited:
Then how did the angels rebel against God?
40.png
Dan_Defender:
They could exercise that type of free will only once. According to St Thomas Aquinas.
The angels had free will when they were created
The point is we do not understand clearly — and I’m not sure if it’s necessary for us to know in the present, earthly time — how this rebellion went.

They have free will. But they have made their choice in eternity, which makes both the immediate consequences and the nature of their decision incomprehensible to us until we understand eternity ourselves.

And this will only happen after death.

I’m asking this because I was in a cult that proclaimed Jesus was an angel
Well, he’s not, and I would hope you’re out of the cult now.

Angels don’t do anything except what God tasks them to do. God is always in control of everything. Jesus is God. I hope that clears it up for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back