Can anyone tell me about this Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wantingtoknow
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know offhand… and apparently Amazon.com doesn’t have the NT up for me to look. I bet you could call/e-mail the publisher and they’d be happy to tell you.

For what it’s worth, they also publish the Confirmation gift Bible in translations other than the Douay-Rheims… they have NAB too, but I think the goofy footnotes are part of the package.

“Goofy” was my polite way of holding back all the really awful things I would say about the NAB footnotes. Yes, they are worse than terrible.

It took a while, but it’s not that hard to get used to the Douay. I also think it lends to easier memorizing, since the language flows better.
JL: I agree with you on the footnotes of the NAB.
 
I know I’m a bit late 🙂 but don’t get any kind of youth bible. It might seem cool for a minute or two, but the footnotes/side articles will get really distracting after a while. I got one as a confirmation gift… The moment they pulled the “all religions are the same, here’s what God said in the Old Testament, and look at this pagan poem from the Native Americans! Doesn’t this sound the same?”… I was done.

The Douay is very beautiful. It keeps the kind of formality that you find in older hymns, which is far more lovely, IMHO. I have yet to buy one, let me know how it is!

*Remember also that you’re in the Traditional Forum, so it’s a given we’ll tell you to go for the Douay-Rheims 😃 NAB is okay, very basic. If you’d rather speed read, then go for this one. But with the D-R, every sentence you’ll want to read over and over… sometimes because you’re not used to the sentence structure, other times because there’s just so much more beauty in every word, and you’re afraid you’ll miss some inspiration God’s planted there for you :heaven:
 
I know I’m a bit late 🙂 but don’t get any kind of youth bible. It might seem cool for a minute or two, but the footnotes/side articles will get really distracting after a while. I got one as a confirmation gift… The moment they pulled the “all religions are the same, here’s what God said in the Old Testament, and look at this pagan poem from the Native Americans! Doesn’t this sound the same?”… I was done.

The Douay is very beautiful. It keeps the kind of formality that you find in older hymns, which is far more lovely, IMHO. I have yet to buy one, let me know how it is!

*Remember also that you’re in the Traditional Forum, so it’s a given we’ll tell you to go for the Douay-Rheims 😃 NAB is okay, very basic. If you’d rather speed read, then go for this one. But with the D-R, every sentence you’ll want to read over and over… sometimes because you’re not used to the sentence structure, other times because there’s just so much more beauty in every word, and you’re afraid you’ll miss some inspiration God’s planted there for you :heaven:
that wouldent have happend to have been the fireside catholic youth bible NEXT would it?
 
I know I’m a bit late 🙂 but don’t get any kind of youth bible. It might seem cool for a minute or two, but the footnotes/side articles will get really distracting after a while. I got one as a confirmation gift… The moment they pulled the “all religions are the same, here’s what God said in the Old Testament, and look at this pagan poem from the Native Americans! Doesn’t this sound the same?”… I was done.

The Douay is very beautiful. It keeps the kind of formality that you find in older hymns, which is far more lovely, IMHO. I have yet to buy one, let me know how it is!

*Remember also that you’re in the Traditional Forum, so it’s a given we’ll tell you to go for the Douay-Rheims 😃 NAB is okay, very basic. If you’d rather speed read, then go for this one. But with the D-R, every sentence you’ll want to read over and over… sometimes because you’re not used to the sentence structure, other times because there’s just so much more beauty in every word, and you’re afraid you’ll miss some inspiration God’s planted there for you :heaven:
Thanks for the information! I’m actually pretty excited about getting a Douay-Rheims, it sounds like it will be a great Bible. 😃 I’ll try to stay away from any youth Bibles. We use one at my church, and I do not like it at all.
 
For some reason, I have quite a collection of different bibles, some belonged to family, my husband has one written in German! I also use a missal for Mass.

My priest recommends the NAB - they give them out for RCIA, retreats, etc. The one we were using is the red covered one (paperback) - the student edition. Now he is saying that we should switch over to another version of the NAB - that has the “Doctrinal Index” in the back.

I have one that I carry with me - it’s a NAB - but it has a leather zip cover. I like it because it keeps the page edges from getting all beat up!
 
Stick with the douay rheims and stay away from editions that contain mondern inclusive language.
Could someone, in a nutshell, explain exactly what is meant by “inclusive” language? Does that mean that where the verse specifically is meant for all humans, they use something other than “man”, “men” so that it includes women? As long as it doesn’t change the meaning of the verse, only expands on and explains it better (as to show who is included), what’s the big uproar over?

If it’s something else, someone please let me know? I thought “inclusive” meant to include everyone the verse was speaking to and not to leave someone out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top