Can Attending Mass Take Away Mortal Sins?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fidelis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fidelis

Guest
I asked this question in the “Ask an Apologist” forum about a month ago and in the moral theology forum last week, but since I have yet to recieve an answer, I’ll posit it to the rest of youse guys:

A friend of mine states that many years ago when he was suffering a severe bout of scrupulosity, he had occasion to speak by phone to a renowned and popular, but very orthodox, Catholic priest/ theologian (now deceased) about a problem he was having. As I understand it, in the course of conversation he asked this theologian if attending Mass (without receiving Holy Communion) were sufficient for being forgiven for mortal sin until the time of his next confession. The theologian, perhaps attempting to give him a pastoral answer to help relieve the anxiety caused by his scrupulosity, answered in the affirmative; that, yes, attending Mass (without receiving Holy Communion) were sufficient for being forgiven for mortal sin until the time of his next confession would absolve him from his sins.

We all know that if one is properly disposed, etc, the attendance at Mass and receiving Holy Communion effects the forgiveness of venial sin, so we don’t need to get into that – but properly speaking, can this in any way or under any condition be applied to mortal sins as well?
 
No it cannot. You cannot receive the Eucharist while in mortal sin without further mortal sin.

Confession…the only option.
 
I think the answer from the priest was perhaps only partially understood. Mortal sin forgiven by attending Mass and then receiving Communion. No way! If one is repentant and would die before being able to confess it, I have understood that it would be forgiven. But…that assumes somethings, repentance, the intention of going to confession as soon as reasonably possible, and one would have to die. I think I have heard this in the context of working with the scrupulous who get all worked up with worry and the fear of dieing before they can get to confession…
 
You CAN have mortal sin forgiven by going directly to God. The only way this is possible is if you are sorry truly out of love for offending God, not for the fear of the punishment due to sin. This is why we cannot judge Protestants, if they repent truly out of love for God for mortal sin then they are forgiven.

However you MUST go to confession before receiving Holy Communion no matter what and as a Catholic you are still obligated to confess the sin in confession as soon as possible. Also, being a Catholic you also have to intend on going to confession as soon as possible.

That is what I was taught.

Ken
 
I asked this question in the “Ask an Apologist” forum about a month ago and in the moral theology forum last week, but since I have yet to recieve an answer, I’ll posit it to the rest of youse guys:

A friend of mine states that many years ago when he was suffering a severe bout of scrupulosity, he had occasion to speak by phone to a renowned and popular, but very orthodox, Catholic priest/ theologian (now deceased) about a problem he was having. As I understand it, in the course of conversation he asked this theologian if attending Mass (without receiving Holy Communion) were sufficient for being forgiven for mortal sin until the time of his next confession. The theologian, perhaps attempting to give him a pastoral answer to help relieve the anxiety caused by his scrupulosity, answered in the affirmative; that, yes, attending Mass (without receiving Holy Communion) were sufficient for being forgiven for mortal sin until the time of his next confession would absolve him from his sins.

We all know that if one is properly disposed, etc, the attendance at Mass and receiving Holy Communion effects the forgiveness of venial sin, so we don’t need to get into that – but properly speaking, can this in any way or under any condition be applied to mortal sins as well?
I think the better question is does attending Mass facilitate Perfect Contrition (which is the only way apart from Sacramental Confession that forgives sins). Im not sure if it does or not…but certainly missing Mass would not facilitate PC.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top