Can conjoined twins have sex without committing adultery?

• Thread starter Thread starter Saya
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The question, then, would be whether one or the other can be considered to “possess” the necessary equipment,
Wait, so if someone lost their “equipment” due to some accident they would not be allowed to marry? I thought they would since infertile people are. As for this specific case. They both “posses” it and feel what’s going on down there.

Wait, so if someone lost their “equipment” due to some accident they would not be allowed to marry? I thought they would since infertile people are. As for this specific case. They both “posses” it and feel what’s going on down there.
If a person is incapable of the conjugal act then this is an impediment to marriage. By itself, infertility for either sex isn’t an impediment.

Peace.

Last edited:
Chang and Eng, the original “Siamese Twins” were married to two women. Interesting life story, especially regarding how they were exploited. Their life stories are easily found online.

Wait, so if someone lost their “equipment” due to some accident they would not be allowed to marry? I thought they would since infertile people are.
That’s the usual misunderstanding. The issue isn’t “can you have children?”, it’s “can you have marital relations?”. It’s the latter that make the marriage, not the former.
As for this specific case. They both “posses” it and feel what’s going on down there.
I think I might suggest that both participate in having the equipment, but neither possesses it himself, so to speak, and therefore, the impediment might attach.

This subject seems to be one of those all-time favorites.
40.png
Conjoined twins. A dilemma? Moral Theology
I watched an interesting show on TLC about conjoined twins and they showcased two twins named Abigail and Brittany. It was a really good show. They stated they would like to get married one day and have children since the one set reproductive organs work. My question is can they marry two seperate people since they are two seperate people with one body or do they need to marry one man? Would it be permissable either way? Also if they married two people would they be commiting adultery on eac…
40.png
Bioethics discussion - marriage of conjoined twins Moral Theology
I’m interested on the Catholic bioethic take on this question: Suppose there were a set of conjoined twins who had separate heads and/or upper bodies but who shared a lower body, legs, sexual organs, etc. The twins both wish to get married and have children. What issues or concerns might arise in such a situation and what would be the correct Catholic response to said issues? For example, can two people who share a body marry two different spouses and would conjugal relations be licit? Tal…
40.png
Conjoined twins Moral Theology
Would conjoined twins sharing one vagina be permitted to have 2 husbands? They would undoubtedly be two individuals- two souls- each with a vocation in life.
40.png
Conjoined Twins - Theological Questions Philosophy
youtube.com/watch?v=BkKWApOAG2g&feature=player_embedded I watched this video and wondered how the Church would treat marriage, sex, confession, and other aspects of Catholic Christian with them. Those and so many other questions come to mind. What if they were boys and one wanted to be a priest and the other wanted to be a Muslim.
And that’s just on CAF…there’s more threads on several other Catholic forums.

Since I’m not a conjoined twin, don’t have any relatives who are conjoined twins, and don’t plan on marrying a conjoined twin, I don’t think about this and if any situation did come up, I’d discuss it with my priest and bishop.

Are we going to post a thread on whatever crosses our mind to satisfy our curiosity here in CAF?
Where is the limit ?
Apparently the moderators have permitted this topic at least 4 times in the past, so I guess 5 times is the charm.
I agree with you that I don’t think the world needs another thread on this.
There are a lot of people with unusual birth defects who likely need to personally consult with their clergy in order to get personalized answers to their situations, and I don’t see how a bunch of laymen speculating on hypotheticals adds anything, but that’s just me.

If I were a conjoined twin, I’d probably be so tired of people speculating on my sex life.

Last edited:
I was not dismissive. The OP asked a question, and I gave my opinion, like every other member here has.

There is no spiritual fruit to be gained from these outlandish topics. They only serve to titillate and try to find exceptions to moral law.
Agreed that one should avoid such a topic if one finds it titillating.

From my memory of philosophy classes though this is exactly the kind of fringe case that helps bear the ‘fruit’ of a clearer understanding of given moral principles. We were certainly required to talk about more extreme sexual examples in classes I took.

For example, upthread it’s already started to improve the OP’s understanding of Church teaching on a more common impediment to marriage (accident/injury foreclosing ability to have marital relations, this not being the same as mere infertility). So that sharpened understanding strikes me as fruit already born.

Also, perhaps God plans to bring some conjoined twins home to His Church in future, and plans for them to see pre-existing concern for them and expectation-setting for their potential state in life within the Church. Who can say? :woman_shrugging:t2:

Personally my thinking is, if we can keep it respectful, philosophical, and ordered towards charity and increased understanding, it makes sense to discuss such a question.

But agreed that any individual who finds it titillating should stay away from such a thread, and any comment suggesting titillation should be deleted.

Last edited:
When I read your post it sounded like telling the OP not to ask questions about fringe scenarios. Apologies if that’s not what you meant.

Last edited:
If this site were full of collegiate philosophy of sexual ethics 101 then sure. I’d skip over these threads with a sigh of annoyance no biggie. But the op has posted 3/4 topics on fringe sexual morality and the more concerning part is that this site allows young readers to post. How sad that a site Called Catholic answers I wouldn’t let my children on.

Remembering the dignity of every person, the proper term is Conjoined Twins.

The first question would be medical, to assure that the person desiring marriage could complete the marital act. This is a very personal thing and is not something for those not involved to speculate about. I have a very profound visible deformity and have total strangers ask me how I have sex. Take it from me, it is unkind to sit around and speculate.

Their priest would prepare a couple, including the extremely rare time when one is a conjoined twins, for marriage.

I think it’s an interesting question. From the Catholic POV, I’m sure the twins would have to talk with their priest on the matter.

From a more general position, it raises a lot of further questions. For example, if the twins share the same genitals, would it be a sin for Twin A to have sex with someone that Twin B didn’t?

The more I think about it, the trickier it all seems. Hmm.

40.png
redcatholic:
There is no spiritual fruit to be gained from these outlandish topics. They only serve to titillate and try to find exceptions to moral law.
Agreed that one should avoid such a topic if one finds it titillating.

From my memory of philosophy classes though this is exactly the kind of fringe case that helps bear the ‘fruit’ of a clearer understanding of given moral principles. We were certainly required to talk about more extreme sexual examples in classes I took.

For example, upthread it’s already started to improve the OP’s understanding of Church teaching on a more common impediment to marriage (accident/injury foreclosing ability to have marital relations, this not being the same as mere infertility). So that sharpened understanding strikes me as fruit already born.

Also, perhaps God plans to bring some conjoined twins home to His Church in future, and plans for them to see pre-existing concern for them and expectation-setting for their potential state in life within the Church. Who can say? :woman_shrugging:t2:

Personally my thinking is, if we can keep it respectful, philosophical, and ordered towards charity and increased understanding, it makes sense to discuss such a question.
Actually, discussions such as these — even though I find the subject personally distasteful — are the logical by-product of the Catholic mind, and of a Catholic worldview. Those of the world, and those who, while professing Christ, do so outside the visible unity of the Church and outside her magisterium, would think in terms of “whatever issues there may be, this is one time you’d want to make an exception to the rules, to allow these people to get married, and to have relations in some fashion — howsoever things might have to be “improvised” or “reimagined” — rather than leaving them involuntarily celibate for life”. We do not do that. We realize that involuntary celibacy for life is not the worst thing that can happen to a person, committing mortal sin, and dying in that state, is the worst thing.

In the case of those unfortunates who seemingly have no way to consummate a marriage, that does not violate traditional Catholic sexual morality in some fashion, we cannot remake “the rules” to accommodate them, and that seems to be the case here.

I’m not even going to go to the place of “but what if they are conjoined in such a way that they have essentially two separate bodies attached together, and can have relations in the normal way, with issues of modesty and privacy being the only considerations?”. I am willing to speculate that they could be allowed to do as they wish (one or both getting married, and dealing with whatever issues are unique to that situation, in the most delicate way possible), but that is all it would be, speculation on my part. I’m going to leave it at that.

Actually, discussions such as these — even though I find the subject personally distasteful — are the logical by-product of the Catholic mind, and of a Catholic worldview.
My “Catholic worldview” sees this sort of topic, discussed publicly by uninvolved laypeople, as being somewhat insensitive and un-Christlike. I am not sure why any layperson who wasn’t either conjoined, the immediate family of a conjoined person, or wanting to marry a conjoined person would need to discuss or know about this. Furthermore, it seems like the Church might reach different conclusions on different sets of facts. It’s not like we can flip to page 1254 of the Catholic Manual and find an answer.

40.png
HomeschoolDad:
Actually, discussions such as these — even though I find the subject personally distasteful — are the logical by-product of the Catholic mind, and of a Catholic worldview.
My “Catholic worldview” sees this sort of topic, discussed publicly by uninvolved laypeople, as being somewhat insensitive and un-Christlike. I am not sure why any layperson who wasn’t either conjoined, the immediate family of a conjoined person, or wanting to marry a conjoined person would need to discuss or know about this. Furthermore, it seems like the Church might reach different conclusions on different sets of facts. It’s not like we can flip to page 1254 of the Catholic Manual and find an answer.
Indeed, there might be different answers based on different situations. My point, which might have been better made, was that some people in an unfortunate situation like this — and aside from having a single venial sin on one’s soul, it’s harder to imagine anything more “unfortunate” than sharing the bottom half of one’s body with another person — may just have to remain single and celibate, even though they want to get married and behave, to the extent possible, as married people normally do.

The Catholic Faith, sometimes, can offer no more than a call to heroism in the pursuit of sanctity and salvation, and that is sad, it doesn’t “seem fair”, but that’s just the way it is, you either have to choose for God or against Him, and it costs, and it hurts. I know you know that — it’s not my intention to “mansplain” (if we are to believe the secular media and the contemporary Weltgeist, presumably there is no such thing as “womansplaining”) — I am just clarifying the scenario for the benefit of all, myself included.

I don’t divorce myself from any questions regarding the human condition and how Catholic faith and morality intersects with that condition. For all I know, Our Lord may have this horrendous situation in store for two of my future grandchildren, and I’d need to be there for them.

Last edited:
Those of the world, and those who, while professing Christ, do so outside the visible unity of the Church and outside her magisterium, would think in terms of “whatever issues there may be, this is one time you’d want to make an exception to the rules, to allow these people to get married, and to have relations in some fashion — howsoever things might have to be “improvised” or “reimagined” — rather than leaving them involuntarily celibate for life”.
It seems to me that this has more to do with our culture’s perspective that sex is more important that just about any other consideration.
My “Catholic worldview” sees this sort of topic, discussed publicly by uninvolved laypeople, as being somewhat insensitive and un-Christlike. I am not sure why any layperson who wasn’t either conjoined, the immediate family of a conjoined person, or wanting to marry a conjoined person would need to discuss or know about this.
At the heart of it, I would say that it helps clarify the Catholic position sex, personhood, and marriage. As such, as odd as the question is, it would seem to have value.

At the heart of it, I would say that it helps clarify the Catholic position sex, personhood, and marriage. As such, as odd as the question is, it would seem to have value.
Obviously Catholic Answers thinks it has value since they have allowed 5 threads on the topic to persist on the forum.

From my vantage point, “hard cases make bad law” and like I said are also apt to be decided individually, taking into account all factors. So between that and the fact that these are a tiny, tiny number of cases, the more so since the tendency now is to try to separate such twins, I don’t see consideration of the issue as adding much to the party. Others are free to discuss, I’ll show myself out.

I have often wondered of the liability to CAF or its members or the diocese in which it is located when minors are given access to sexual topics on this site. If anything else it seems tone deaf to the world that the Church operates in now. I’ve been reprimanded on this site for something far more mild than several open topics right now. I know the OP is an adult but not only do children read these things, but they ask sexually explicit questions if the lay (and clerical) members and engage in conversation with them about explicit topics. Sexual morality is a huge part of Catholicism. But as a parent I cringe at the underage access of these topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back