L
Lead_Me_Home
Guest
I am going through the RCIA and last sunday I had to leave Mass early so I could not get my throat blessed. Is it possible for the priest to do so next sunday.
It is strange when we move things around to appease people. The Blessing is supposed to take place on the Feast of St. Blase, not the following Sunday. I’m not saying that the Blessing which is a sacramental does not have the intended effect, but it’s meaning becomes obscured when we do this.I am going through the RCIA and last sunday I had to leave Mass early so I could not get my throat blessed. Is it possible for the priest to do so next sunday.
The Book of Blessings would have to be consulted. However I would guess that a layperson cannot.This is a slight spin off but… in the parish I attended, throats were blessed by the priest celebrant, the deacon, and two EMHC’s. I ended up in one woman’s line and didn’t walk away but isn’t it improper for the laity to give this kind of a blessing (well, any blessing except for parents to bless their children)? I have no problem with anyone giving out ashes on Ash Wednesday. That’s just a reminded of our mortality or an admonition to repent, not a blessing. The two EMHC’s had been well prepared and had the wording letter perfect. But this was way improper wasn’t it?
In this case I believe that laypeople can give the blessing – at least that’s what I was told by a priest who checked. Perhaps because it is through the intercession of St. Blase rather than the priest giving the blessing directly.The Book of Blessings would have to be consulted. However I would guess that a layperson cannot.