• Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O Exalted Modrator, Catherine Grant,

That was VERY FUNNY!

Five full minutes of laughing…
Very funny…

Must email to everyone that picture…
With no disrespect to the Partiarch intended, of course.

Now that we got a chuckle, perhaps we should look into WHY he wears them.

What His Beatitude is wearing are two Engolpia (highly decorated round or oval image of Christ or the Virgin Mary worn on a chain) and a Stavros (a cross of precious metals or jewels). The engolpia are a sign of his purity of heart and mind. When he puts them on, he prays “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." (Psalm 51:10). The stavros is a reminder that His Beatitude bears his cross, and upholds the commandments of scripture, and faithfully fulfills the holy and saving words of Jesus Christ. When he puts it on, he prays “whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, take up his cross and follow Me” (Luke 9:23).

Seems rather appropriate for being Catholic “bling,” doesn’t it? Its purpose is not to show off, but to reflect an interior disposition. Perhaps Cardenio (and all of us) could benefit from such a reflection in our usage of every day items, like a crucifix or a rosary.

Speaking of which, looking forward to a picture of the completed project, Cardenio!

I was thinking about duct tape, then I vetoed that idea.

But what about playing cards?

Of course I’ll use a euchre deck. I laid it on the floor - for the vertical, twelve cards in two rows of six and for the horizontal, eight cards in two rows of four. That’s twenty cards. There are four cards left over, plus four scoring cards.

Problem is, this only makes a cross. For the body of Jesus, I had an idea, which I vetoed, then my sister suggested it, and I told her no, then my dad suggested it, and I still don’t like the idea but three of us came up with it quite separately. Using the King (a card) as Jesus. I said the King of Spades doesn’t look a lot like a crucified savior, and my dad said to use the King of Hearts (for love). I said “I never liked the King of Hearts” and everybody laughed at me…

I don’t know. I’ll sort it out over the week and report back next weekend.

My only final decision as of yet is this: the crucifix will hang down from the ceiling. Otherwise it will be upside-down from nearly everywhere in the room. I believe that was Debbie’s suggestion - thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back