Can I receive the Eucharist by mouth?

  • Thread starter Thread starter erik_none
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

erik_none

Guest
I have this issue in my mouth where one of my teeth is broken. Sometimes when I finish brushing and rinse I notice a little bit (sometimes a lot) of blood. I usually take communion by mouth, but now I feel obligated to take it in my hand and pass the cup when it had been bleeding before mass (even when I don’t bleed I feel obligated to pass the cup). Am I right in doing this?
 
Yes, I would think that receiving in the hand and not taking the precious blood would be a prudent thing to do at this time. I hope that your health issues improve, too! 🙂
 
I have this issue in my mouth where one of my teeth is broken. Sometimes when I finish brushing and rinse I notice a little bit (sometimes a lot) of blood. I usually take communion by mouth, but now I feel obligated to take it in my hand and pass the cup when it had been bleeding before mass (even when I don’t bleed I feel obligated to pass the cup). Am I right in doing this?
Please be a good Christian, and “due unto others as you’d have them do to you”.

If they guy in front of you had a bleeding mouth or sneezed in the cup or something…well …I think we all know how we’d feel.
 
I think you are doing the right thing with this Erik. As Jon said, due unto others as you’d have them do to you.
 
Thanks for the replies. I think for now, or until I get it fixed, I will pass the cup. But, since recently it hasn’t been bleeding, I will continue to take the Host by the mouth, so long as the Minister doesn’t stick their fingers too far out and get licked. I hate when that happens…
 
I think you should visit a dentist as soon as possible. You may have a gum disease or maybe brushing too hard. Whatever the case I will pray for you.
 
I think you should visit a dentist as soon as possible. You may have a gum disease or maybe brushing too hard. Whatever the case I will pray for you.
Thank you very much. I have a tooth in the back of my mouth that broke and is very sensitive at times. I appreciate the prayers, though. God bless.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top