I have been studying and praying over my conversion for 4 years. I believe I have a well grounded understanding of the Catholic faith. I accept the teaching of the Church, ALL the doctrines of the Church. I pray the rosary and ask for the intercession of the Saints. I was wondering if a priest would be willing to let me start RCIA now? I know I have to talk to the priest in person of course. I also wanted to know if I could be confirmed in a different diocese, because of an emergency I have been attending Mass in a different diocese for the past month?
It depends on how it’s done in your area. Ideally, there should be a Period of Inquiry that runs year-round that anyone can join at any time. From there, an individual program plan is developed to get you through the remaining stages, which would take into account what your parish has available (ie: how many times a year they welcome new people into the Period of Catechesis) and other factors. Two immovable dates are the Rite of Election/Call to Continuing Conversion, which is the first weekend of Lent, and the Rites of Initiation themselves, which for unbaptized people, take place at the Easter Vigil. (If you are a Christian from another tradition, this could take place on any Sunday of the year, but again it is up to the parish priest to decide what works best for him.)
However, in the majority of cases here in North America, the RCIA is run like a college course, from September to early spring. They would not take you at this late date, since they are already finishing up the Period of Catechesis, and will be moving into the Period of Enlightenment very soon, and even though you probably “feel” as though you could start living the Catholic life right this minute, believe me, at the end of the process you will be glad of having taken the time to go through the whole RCIA process.
It really goes against our culture of instant gratification, and there are lots of people who will want to help you rush the process because why should anyone have to wait for something they want; the consumer has spoken - but taking your time has great benefits. My experience of people who race through RCIA is that they don’t last very long in the Church, even when they were so on-fire for the faith at the time. Those who take their time become much more firmly rooted, and are more likely to make it through to the end.