Can lay people bless things?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ruthmary
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ruthmary

Guest
I was given a medal by someone who knew a person who had been to Medjugorge and said that Vicka blessed the medal. That seems very wrong to me. I thought only priests can bless things. Should I give the medal back and say I think it’s wrong or just forget about it and not say anything?
 
Sacramentals used for private devotion, such as medals, can generally be blessed by any member of the clergy (priest, deacon, bishop). The laity are allowed to bless certain sacramentals with the approval of their local Ordinary (i.e. bishop). This is spelled out in canon 1168:
Can. 1168
The minister of the sacramentals is a cleric who has the requisite power. In accordance with the liturgical books and subject to the judgement of the local Ordinary, certain sacramentals can also be administered by lay people who possess the appropriate qualities.
So the real question is if Vicka was given the ability to blessed Medjugorje medals by her Bishop. Given Bishop Peric’s feelings about Medjugorje I would highly doubt that he gave any such approval.

I would simply return it.
 
I would take the Sacramental to a priest and ask him. Vicka is one of the Medjugorje visionaries who has seen and spoken to the Blessed Virgin Mary. It is possible that the Bishop has granted her permission to bless holy items.
 
I found the following at EWTN which explains blessings(ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/WHATBLES.HTM). Maybe this will help.
Code:
Who can do a blessing? The Catechism states, "Every baptized person is called to be a 'blessing' and to bless. Hence lay people may preside at certain blessings; the more a blessing concerns ecclesial and sacramental life, the more its administration is reserved to the ordained ministry (bishops, priest, deacons)" (No. 1669).

Priests are the ordinary ministers of blessings, asking God's help for those people being blessed or dedicating something to a sacred service; the priest's blessing is imparted with the weight of the Church and therefore has great value in the eyes of God. The blessing of a layperson upon another, such as a parent blessing a child, is an act of good will whereby the person implores God's aid for the person; the value of this blessing in the eyes of God depends upon the person's individual sincerity and sanctity.
Blessings are categorized into two types: invocative and constitutive. 

In an invocative blessing, the minister implores the divine favor of God to grant some spiritual or temporal good without any change of condition, such as when a parent blessed a child. This blessing is also a recognition of God's goodness in bestowing this "blessing" upon us, such as when we offer a blessing for our food at meal time. In blessing objects or places, a view is also taken toward those who will use the objects or visit the places.

A constitutive blessing, invoked by a bishop, priest or deacon, signifies the permanent sanctification and dedication of a person or thing for some sacred purpose. Here the person or object takes on a sacred character and would not be returned to non-sacred or profane use. For example, when religious Sisters or Brothers profess final vows, they are blessed, indicating a permanent change in their lives. Or, when a chalice is blessed, it becomes a sacred vessel dedicated solely to sacred usage.
 
I don’t think lay people can bless things
Lay people bless things all the time: each other, the food we are about to eat, our children before bedtime, ourselves before we confess our sins, etc. The “blessing” is not what makes the act holy (it’s just a matter of words without grace from God); God provides the grace that will purify and sanctify. Even a bishop who attempts to bless something that is inherently evil will not have actually blessed it. He can say all the prayers he wants, if God does not allow it, it won’t happen.🙂
 
Thank you to all who took the trouble to post an answer to my question. I do tend toward skepticism regarding Medjugorje. Usige, thank you for the quote from canon law. I guess I should let this person know what I think. It’s just hard.

God bless you all.
Ruth
 
I would just let the priest bless it and keep it. What do you think?
 
I would just let the priest bless it and keep it. What do you think?
That might seem to be a solution except that I’m uncomfortable with giving the impression that I believe the Medjugorje phenomenon to be a true apparition of Mary.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top