Can love exist in Hell?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nfinke
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So many people worry about hell. I’m a simple man that focuses on getting to heaven. Whatever hell is, I have no plans to go there and don’t wish for anyone to go there. God is love and I want to be with Him. Why so much discussion about what is or isn’t in hell? Focus on heaven!
 
Again I will have to repeat my favorite prayer

Oh my Jesus
Forgive us our sins
Save us from the fires of hell
And lead all souls into heaven
Especially those in most need of thy mercy

This is my hope…

And my prayer

For everyone
 
Last edited:
So many people worry about hell
Some of us believe we won’t make it to Heaven or even Purgatory. I think the fear of Hell is the main motivator in my spiritual life, better to not exist. N
ot talking about suicide but existence from the beginning.
 
Last edited:
I believe God’s love is so great, that He will show His Mercy for all who genuinely love Him. Yes, hell is real and those who disregard God’s love should fear it. But why be concerned what hell is really like if you focus on our Lord and His love and teachings? Knowing about hell is not going to change it. Knowing the love and Divine Mercy of our Lord will draw you to Him. I believe He wants us to know Him and His love rather than fear hell and only come to Him out of fear.
 
Why do those in hell hate those who are in heaven, given, as you say, that the direct presence of G-d would be worse to them than being in hell? Why should they envy those in heaven then, or is their hatred caused by some other emotion?
 
But why should they even think it is a gift or beautiful if they despise the splendor and chose the opposite of it? I get your point but am not sure these thoughts would even occur to them, given their mindset.
 
Last edited:
If so, would this not be a form of repentance, since they finally realize they made the wrong choice?
 
I know it’s too late, but it seems they now have misgivings. Elsewhere on CAF, I read they do NOT have misgivings but rather their will remains firmly against G-d and heaven. In that case, again, why would they deign to envy those in heaven if their will is against the joys of heaven?
 
OK. I’m not completely convinced but thanks for the discussion.
 
But why be concerned what hell is really like if you focus on our Lord and His love and teachings? Knowing about hell is not going to change it.
Because it is in Scripture…Jesus warned about hell and described it so…
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. 2 Tim 3:16-17
The key mission given to the Catholic Church by Christ is the salvation of souls and we are all instruments of salvation so yes we proclaim the good news of the Gospel but we also need to follow Jesus in warning about hell.
 
Last edited:
Why do those in hell hate those who are in heaven, given, as you say, that the direct presence of G-d would be worse to them than being in hell?
All they have is hate.
Hate for themselves, hate for each other, hate for God.

I would think everyone that is in heaven is a direct reminder of their own failure…and thus something to be hated.
Why should they envy those in heaven then, or is their hatred caused by some other emotion?
No one has said they envy.
I doubt they envy anything. Regret the decision, perhaps. Capable of making any other decision…no.
Having chosen self over God, they are now in a permanent state of that decision. They could not choose anything else and they regret it every time.
 
I’ll never understand all this preoccupation with the particulars of hell. Hell= bad. It is a place of horrible torment. It exists, and God wan’ts to save people from it.

Is there love in hell,? Is there actual flames? Who is in hell? Can people in hell feel love? Can the devil repent? What does it matter? These questions are clear and historical. You should fear hell and you should desire heaven. And honestly heaven is not that hard to achieve. The hardest work has been done For you and you have the most powerful assistance in the angels and saints and the Church. Hell is bad. Hell is the perfection of God and His justice. To doubt that is to doubt heaven.
 
I understand what you are saying but recently I have started to feel that I don’t want to go to Heaven but Hell is so bad that I will have to go there although it seems impossible.
 
Are they, though? The Rich Man is certainly aware of his own torment, and he is aware of the possibility of not being in torment, but he seems completely unaware of what he did even after Abraham explains (else he would not have thought Lazarus was available to be used as a messenger). Even in his concern for his brothers he is still perpetuating the sin that put him there in the first place.
 
You’re right my dear beagle.

God is not just a father, he is the father, and what truly loving parent likes seeing their child in craven fear of him?

God is not an impartial observer who doesn’t care either way whether you end up in heaven or hell. He wants you to be saved. If anyone questions that, look at the cross.

So God wants you in heaven, the devil also wants you in hell, you cast the deciding vote.
 
Last edited:
Look at how he is caring for his brothers. He asks to send Lazarus. He tries to rip the poor man away from comfort to be used as a servant. Not once does he ever address Lazarus directly. To the Rich Man, Lazarus is some worthless thing to be used when he is useful and ignored otherwise.
 
Jesus’ parables rarely have only a single lesson in them. Keep in mind that a common belief in Israel at the time was that those who were poor and unclean were less holy and worth less to God than those who were rich. Christ spent much of his time directly challenging that idea. This parable, with the Rich Man ending up in torment and Lazarus in comfort, is part of that. So I think that the Rich Man treating Lazarus like a worthless servant is very intentional.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top