R
Robert_Sock
Guest
This may be a question that has been asked before, but I’m not on this forum that often. The Church seems pretty quiet on this lately, although St Augustine clearly states, no.
LOVE!
LOVE!
The Church clearly teaches there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church. The debate is what that actually means.This may be a question that has been asked before, but I’m not on this forum that often. The Church seems pretty quiet on this lately, although St Augustine clearly states, no.
LOVE!![]()
I agree with the other poster that very few people are invincibly ignorant. This makes evangelization important.This may be a question that has been asked before, but I’m not on this forum that often. The Church seems pretty quiet on this lately, although St Augustine clearly states, no.
LOVE!![]()
My understanding is technically no. However, whether one has to be a physical member of the Church to be saved is, I think, another, related issue. The Church offers the Sacraments, and therefore, according to Catholic teaching, it is easier to be saved by availing oneself of them though this is no guarantee. Without the Sacraments, it is more difficult but not impossible. In any case, according to Christian–and Catholic–belief, it is Jesus who saves THROUGH the Church. If He wishes to save a Protestant or even a non-Christian or an atheist, that is up to Him.This may be a question that has been asked before, but I’m not on this forum that often. The Church seems pretty quiet on this lately, although St Augustine clearly states, no.
LOVE!![]()
I think there will be a lot of people covered by “invincible ignorance.” There is also “Baptism of desire” to consider. And I have no reason to believe that God will not and does not touch all lives in a way to make salvation possible. This is from my own experience of learning about God through a near death experience.The Church clearly teaches there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church. The debate is what that actually means.
The Church does not list individuals or groups who would fall under invincible ignorance (those who through no fault of their own do not know Christ and his Church but in that ignorance still live a good life according to the teaching of Christ may (not will) be saved) so anyone saying this that or the other person will be saved is simply speculating and expressing an opinion.
Personally (my opinion), I think very few people in the world will be covered by invincible ignorance.
I do believe that there are many members of Judaism or the Muslim faith who unwittingly follow Christ to a greater degree than many Christians. I trust that all who follow Christ will somehow be saved.My understanding is technically no. However, whether one has to be a physical member of the Church to be saved is, I think, another, related issue. The Church offers the Sacraments, and therefore, according to Catholic teaching, it is easier to be saved by availing oneself of them though this is no guarantee. Without the Sacraments, it is more difficult but not impossible. In any case, according to Christian–and Catholic–belief, it is Jesus who saves THROUGH the Church. If He wishes to save a Protestant or even a non-Christian or an atheist, that is up to Him.
Just a few short months ago, you submitted a response in this thread titled “**Salvation outside of the Church?” **This may be a question that has been asked before, but I’m not on this forum that often. The Church seems pretty quiet on this lately, although St Augustine clearly states, no.
LOVE!![]()
Had I remembered this post, I would not have started a new thread. Sorry!Just a few short months ago, you submitted a response in this thread titled “**Salvation outside of the Church?” **
There was a lot of material presented in that thread, which makes me wonder what, if anything, did you not understand from what you read? Your OP leaves much unsaid in order that anyone may help you.
No problem, but if you started it because there is something you did not understand, maybe a clarification would be helpful.Had I remembered this post, I would not have started a new thread. Sorry!
LOVE!![]()
Church Fathers on Invincible Ignorance and the Possibility of Salvation for Non-CatholicsThis may be a question that has been asked before, but I’m not on this forum that often. The Church seems pretty quiet on this lately, although St Augustine clearly states, no.
LOVE!![]()
The purpose? I suppose “no salvation outside the Church” is so controversial b/c it runs directly contrary to the general relativism that is the fashion of the age. The idea that other people, even entire other cultures, are wrong, while the Church is right, is shocking to the relativist, in fact it violates everything he holds (intellectually) dear. Its the same with the uniqueness of Jesus Christ. Many today want Him to be another spiritual guru, but can’t handle the idea that in His Name and in His Name alone can we be saved.I often wonder what the purpose of this question is.
So I see it as presumptuous to assume everyone is saved. It may be true, but it may not.
- we can’t know for sure
- God gave us a plan of salvation
- he told us to tell the world and make disciples.
- he told us narrow is the gate and few find it.
I think we hold such a view because we hate the idea of people suffering.
The danger is that in sort of putting our head in the sand, we are potentially not evangelizing as fervently, and possible many more are lost than should be.
There are folks who always see the negative, and act as if they alone are on the road to salvation, and very few are as fortunate as Catholics.I often wonder what the purpose of this question is.
So I see it as presumptuous to assume everyone is saved. It may be true, but it may not.
The danger is that in sort of putting our head in the sand, we are potentially not evangelizing as fervently, and possible many more are lost than should be.
I get it really , but isn’t there a bit of Pasquals wager here.There are folks who always see the negative, and act as if they alone are on the road to salvation, and very few are as fortunate as Catholics.
And there are those who believe and trust in God’s Infinite Mercy as evidenced in the countless encyclicals that teach salvation is possible outside of card-carrying Catholics, such as those presented by Dmar above
I guess in the final analysis, one need not listen to the Church, but follow the glass half-empty idealogy that holds greater appeal.
I agree also.Dmar, that was quite a thorough synopsis of historical Catholic teaching on this issue.
I was edified the other night when Mother Angelica taught on my favorite scripture from John 14:21. “Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.” She emphasized the word “whoever” and said that this applies to ALL (not just Catholics) who in purity of conscience, keep God’s law. They are beloved of God and the Lord Jesus will manifest himself to them.
Of course, I agree with her, but it was providentially timely that I happened upon that broadcast, since I had seen that scripture hotly contested recently. God bless Mother!
That’s why personal opinion does not hold up and is destructive to the Mystical Body of Christ… We need to listen to the Church. What does she teach? Many will be lost? :dts: Do our best to bring all into the fold in unity with us? :yup:I get it really , but isn’t there a bit of Pasquals wager here.
If everyone is saved and you evangelize them and act as if few are saved- no harm
If few are saved and we evangelize as if few are saved we will save more.
If few are saved and we act as if all are saved. Then many will be lost.