Can shyness reduce the culpability of sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JChapel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JChapel

Guest
I’ve always been a very introverted and reserved person, and depending on the circumstances, it has been very difficult for me to speak up about (often important) things.

This brings me to my current situation: I have a friend, not very religious, who while a fairly decent person, takes God’s name in vain like it’s out of style… and it doesn’t seem to bother anyone else but me. I do what I can to express dissatisfaction with this behavior, and model better behavior, but for some reason I struggle to say “please don’t use God’s name that way”.

I feel terrible being unable to speak up, and it grates at me each time I hear The Lord’s name so desecrated, and I know that I should speak up… I just can’t bring myself to, for some reason. I pray every week, sometimes daily, for the conversion of his heart and the virtue of courage in mine.

Would this… difficulty… reduce my moral culpability in this circumstance. Any advice?
 
I’ve always been a very introverted and reserved person, and depending on the circumstances, it has been very difficult for me to speak up about (often important) things.

This brings me to my current situation: I have a friend, not very religious, who while a fairly decent person, takes God’s name in vain like it’s out of style… and it doesn’t seem to bother anyone else but me. I do what I can to express dissatisfaction with this behavior, and model better behavior, but for some reason I struggle to say “please don’t use God’s name that way”.

I feel terrible being unable to speak up, and it grates at me each time I hear The Lord’s name so desecrated, and I know that I should speak up… I just can’t bring myself to, for some reason. I pray every week, sometimes daily, for the conversion of his heart and the virtue of courage in mine.

Would this… difficulty… reduce my moral culpability in this circumstance. Any advice?
In my opinion the answer is no.
Culpability may be reduced through addition, mental incapacity, and coercion.
 
I’ve always been a very introverted and reserved person, and depending on the circumstances, it has been very difficult for me to speak up about (often important) things.

This brings me to my current situation: I have a friend, not very religious, who while a fairly decent person, takes God’s name in vain like it’s out of style… and it doesn’t seem to bother anyone else but me. I do what I can to express dissatisfaction with this behavior, and model better behavior, but for some reason I struggle to say “please don’t use God’s name that way”.

I feel terrible being unable to speak up, and it grates at me each time I hear The Lord’s name so desecrated, and I know that I should speak up… I just can’t bring myself to, for some reason. I pray every week, sometimes daily, for the conversion of his heart and the virtue of courage in mine.

Would this… difficulty… reduce my moral culpability in this circumstance. Any advice?
I have this same problem, except that for me, it stems from my non-confrontational personality. Does this lessen my culpability as well? That I don’t know. I do know that you should ask a good priest what his opinion is…in fact, I should too!
 
A math teacher once told me about two different things: A “reason” and an “excuse”.

A reason is legitimate in freeing you from responsibility. For example, if you were found to suffer from a mental condition, such as social anxiety disorder, that is untreatable without intervention, that would be a reason.

However, an excuse is merely trying to get out of doing something you should by throwing up, well, an excuse. Were you to just say that you were really shy and weren’t willing to take the steps to come out of your shell, just hiding behind your shyness and using it as a shield to not act, then that would be an excuse.
 
Whether you are shy or have a non-confrontational personality is of no consequence. It is what is in your heart that determines the sin in these circumstances.
This question is best answered by your confessors, not in a public forum.
 
I don’t think you are sinning because you don’t reprimand your friend.

I don’t think it is your job to correct all your friends flaws.

You can try telling him that you find his language offensive. There is a huge difference between telling someone “you are doing something wrong” and “I think you are doing something wrong”
 
I’ll probably regret opening my mouth here, but it’s easier to do online, in written form, than in person face to face.

I have a similar problem to some degree. All these years, I thought I was simply weak and non-assertive, that it was a moral failing on my part, and that I deserved whatever life threw at me as a consequence. Recently, I’ve found out that I have severe sleep apnea, and that it’s a “classic symptom” of a disorder called narcolepsy.

I too have a person I work with who takes the Lord’s name in vain probably a hundred times a day. I used to do the same myself, to an extent (though not at work), and thought that made me unfit to complain about his habit—“practice what you preach,” that sort of thing.

I have stopped, and I have on a couple of occasions spoken up and objected about this person’s habit. Not that it’s done much good. But I know I can do it, hard though it still is. I still wonder some about my own culpability, and just remind myself that it’s important to go to confession fairly often, even if I’m still a bit muddled about culpability.

I don’t know if this all makes sense or helps in any way. Your problem just struck a familiar chord for me.
 
I’d say it depends on the severity. Some shy people just get a little uncomfortable with talking ot others…other people will get so upset at the thought that they’ll shake sweat, have heart palpatations and throw up!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top