D
dje101
Guest
RSV-2CE
Exodus 21:22-25 under laws concerning violence and harm
“When men strive together, and hurt a woman with child, so that there is a miscarriage, and yet no harm follows, the one who hurt her shall be fined, according as the woman’s husband shall lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. If any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.”
This verse struck me as kind of odd. It almost seems like there is little value placed on the unborn child and more placed on the woman. The way I interpreted it, it sounded like they are saying that if a woman is attacked and there is a miscarriage, but she is otherwise in ok condition, then the man responsible will be fined. But if she is damaged in any way, then there will eye for an eye.
Am I interpreting this wrong?
I guess another way it could be saying is that if men attack her to CAUSE a miscarriage but there is no harm, then the man responsible will be fined. But if it DOES cause a miscarriage, then there will be an eye for an eye.
Those are the two way that I interpreted it. You thoughts?
Exodus 21:22-25 under laws concerning violence and harm
“When men strive together, and hurt a woman with child, so that there is a miscarriage, and yet no harm follows, the one who hurt her shall be fined, according as the woman’s husband shall lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. If any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.”
This verse struck me as kind of odd. It almost seems like there is little value placed on the unborn child and more placed on the woman. The way I interpreted it, it sounded like they are saying that if a woman is attacked and there is a miscarriage, but she is otherwise in ok condition, then the man responsible will be fined. But if she is damaged in any way, then there will eye for an eye.
Am I interpreting this wrong?
I guess another way it could be saying is that if men attack her to CAUSE a miscarriage but there is no harm, then the man responsible will be fined. But if it DOES cause a miscarriage, then there will be an eye for an eye.
Those are the two way that I interpreted it. You thoughts?