Can someone explain this please?

  • Thread starter Thread starter twohearts
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

twohearts

Guest
Pope Eugene IV claimed infalibly once at the Council of Florence

“The Most Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and preaches that none of those existing outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews, heretics, and schismatics can never be partakers of eternal life, but that they are to go into the eternal fire ‘which was prepared for the devil and his angels,’ (Mt. 25:41) unless before death they are joined with Her; … no one, even if he pour out his blood for the Name of Christ, can be saved unless they abide within the bosom and unity of the Catholic Church.”

Can someone please explain how this is true? I know the Catholic Church now teaches that those who not through their own fault are separated from the Catholic Church, these people have a chance for heaven. Are both compatible? It could be that people separated from the Catholic Church are really in union with her in some mystical way, and that might explain it. Can someone please help?
 
Pope Eugene IV claimed infalibly once at the Council of Florence

“The Most Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and preaches that none of those existing outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews, heretics, and schismatics can never be partakers of eternal life, but that they are to go into the eternal fire ‘which was prepared for the devil and his angels,’ (Mt. 25:41) unless before death they are joined with Her; … no one, even if he pour out his blood for the Name of Christ, can be saved unless they abide within the bosom and unity of the Catholic Church.”

Can someone please explain how this is true? I know the Catholic Church now teaches that those who not through their own fault are separated from the Catholic Church, these people have a chance for heaven. Are both compatible? It could be that people separated from the Catholic Church are really in union with her in some mystical way, and that might explain it. Can someone please help?
Remember at this time there were Catholics and Non-Catholics. The Reformation had not happened.

In any case it was true then as it is today - if you find yourself in Heaven it will have been through the Catholic Church.
 
Dear Two Hearts, et. al.

I am learning a little about this. I have no wish to spoil the brevity of Buffalo’s explanation.

Terrifyingly sad, yet of some comfort as it might be for you, consider stillborns and abortuses: the dead from the womb of many a woman, globally. Have they any chance at all of Heaven, or the portion of Heaven, very much like a portion of Hell, Purgatory: to have their soul purified, let alone in union with God, their Father? No. Nonetheless, do they suffer? No.

Hell has a portion that is without suffering. Stillborns and abortuses, never having much course to sin; though born into sin, Original Sin, they have a portion of Hell, quite apart from union with their Father; though, without any suffering–they are eternally in a state of natural happiness as opposed to the state of supernatural happiness, you and I might together share, upon our entrance to Heaven.

Whereas, not meaning at all to sound legal, but whereas many on earth for whom some might actually experience a lack of knowledge with respect to Jesus, they have as their experience on earth that ability with their soul both capable not only of freewill, but also of reason–they have an ability to reason that God does in fact exist: creation we know from what we experience personally, and with what Louis Granada author of “The Sinner’s Guide”, Tan Books, stated that creation, the perfection of it, motivates us to love, to know, to trust God, and thereby our own innate need for justice, and for profit, might bring us to a hope in a Savior, long ago promised to both Adam and to Eve.

It is important to be Baptised.

You have to think that even those mortal sins either of thought, or of word must be confessed and therefore, what exists outside Catholicism to reconcile us to God, when in a state of mortal sin is both few, and far between with respect to the Sacraments; so, what chance of forgiveness is there–we have to seek reconciliation from a properly ordained priest, to filter, to more clearly judge our state of being contrite, and willing to make an amendment.

Most sincerely,

Kristopher
 
Hi Twohearts,

The two doctrines are both aspects of the same thing : that we are saved through the Catholic Church. Those who don’t belong to it can be saved if their interior disposition is such that, were they to have adequate knowledge of God’s will, they would belong to the Catholic Church. Therefore, they belong in spirit to the Catholic Church.

Verbum
 
Kristopher,
Regarding your post, is that your opinion, or that official church teaching? I’ve never heard of the nice part of hell? :confused:
 
Kristopher:

Remember, though God has bound those who can receive sacraments to have recourse to them, he himself is not bound by the sacraments.
 
Kristopher,
Regarding your post, is that your opinion, or that official church teaching? I’ve never heard of the nice part of hell? :confused:
Dear Carol Marie, et. al.:

You can find it as actual Church teaching in the Baltimore Catechism, in particular the one, expository, of the first Catechism; additionally, you can reason clearly about it, yourself, without details given by any further context on the matter–what is taught in the Baltimore Catechism is tremendously reasonable, and emphatically must be the greatest present need to clarify what Jesus said to his Apostles, go and baptize all nations; proclaim the Gospel to everyone, etc.

I think about the human nature belonging to The Blessed Virgin Mary, and to her Son; it is speculation on my part: but God you know does not experience sorrow quite like we do–except through His Son, and Jesus’ mother–the two of them, the one ascended, the other assumed into heaven, bodily; so, I think that they must even in Heaven, suffer with the humanity of the bodies that they possess–no matter to what extent they have been transformed. God Himself must–like at the time of The Flood, when Noah and his family by God, were saved by The Ark–He must experience something akin to what brought Him to flood the earth in recognition of all those babies conceived, then slaughtered in the womb, or dead as stillbirths–born into Original Sin, without any human life to give them opportunities for Salvation, by any and all means available to them.

They have no opportunity for Heaven, but they have no opportunity to suffer, except to remain apart from God that is Hell, to remain apart from God; so, they in Original Sin, have a natural state of happiness for eternity, without any opportunity for supernatural happiness, the sanctifying grace of Baptism; the restoration of the soul to its image created by God, more-or-less as I understand it: as it was before Adam gave-in to The Devil.

Most sincerely,

Kristopher
 
Kristopher,
Is it the concept of Limbo that you are describing? I don’t have the Baltimore Catechism… but I do have the big Catechism book (green cover) that they gave us in RCIA (or is that the same thing?) Is what your describing in that book?

CM
 
They have no opportunity for Heaven, but they have no opportunity to suffer, except to remain apart from God that is Hell, to remain apart from God; so, they in Original Sin, have a natural state of happiness for eternity, without any opportunity for supernatural happiness, the sanctifying grace of Baptism; the restoration of the soul to its image created by God, more-or-less as I understand it: as it was before Adam gave-in to The Devil.

Most sincerely,

Kristopher
Kristopher,

CCC 1261 As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus’ tenderness toward children which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them,"64 allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church’s call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.

The Church pretty much leaves it at that. What you are saying is speculation and extremely hurtful to those parents who have lost a child before that child can be baptised. The love of Christ has no boundaries, so by saying this is wrong.

You may be quoting something you have read but there is no clear and hard teaching that says explcitly that unbaptized children are seperated from God. God has infinite mercy. Please either clarify where you are getting this information (and don’t just say the baltimore catechism, which btw is outdated and no longer considered the complete teaching) or retract your statement.

These are sensitive issues and need to be talked about in a manner coinciding with their severity. Brazingly making statements that sound authoratative although are not can be damaging to those who are grieving a loss. Let’s be careful in our words.
 
…The love of Christ has no boundaries, so by saying this is wrong.

…there is no clear and hard teaching that says explcitly that unbaptized children are seperated from God. …the baltimore catechism, which btw is outdated and no longer considered the complete teaching)…These are sensitive issues and need to be talked about in a manner coinciding with their severity. Brazingly making statements…
Dear Tally Catholic:

What I stated came from The Baltimore Catechism. What you gave from the CCC, thank you, taken in context with any number of other paragraphs in the CCC might yeild more meaning.

I appreciate your sensitivity toward those whom might be grieving over the loss of their child–this hope you think that might be afforded to those unbaptised, without any chance of salvation provided to the remainder of humanity has been cited by at least a few women, whom I have met, as justification for abortion: the taking of unjust human life is the issue as a consequence–who can say, the salvation of the child is in anyway threatened.

All children are born into Original Sin, with few exceptions–most children are neither Jesus, nor The Blessed Virgin Mary.

I witnessed my child murdered, by means of abortion and at the hands of my fiance’s Catholic, wealthy and well educated, family.

It is hard enough of a reality to acknowledge the fact that I failed in my struggle to stop the sexual misconduct that allowed for this murder to occur–the unjustified loss of human life–let alone the liklihood that my child, who would be eighteen yrs. old now, never was provided with an opportunity for salvation.

It disgusts me that such a heinous crime is justified by your view that there either is salvation for the unborn, or there is hope of salvation for the unborn.

Life is hard. The terror of it, the horror of it, the sadness of it, and it was so at the time of Noah–many people had hope of salvation; though, it was Noah’s family on the Ark, while the remainder of the human population under God’s hand was destroyed.

You have to be an idiot not to both love and fear God, but you make your choice; I’ll make mine. I’m Pro-Life. It isn’t pretty, but as I said, I appreciate your sensitivity to those such as myself who still contend with the loss of our child.

Most sincerely,

Kristopher
 
Dear Tally Catholic:

I appreciate your sensitivity toward those whom might be grieving over the loss of their child–this hope you think that might be afforded to those unbaptised, without any chance of salvation provided to the remainder of humanity has been cited by at least a few women, whom I have met, as justification for abortion: the taking of unjust human life is the issue as a consequence–who can say, the salvation of the child is in anyway threatened.

I witnessed my child murdered, by means of abortion and at the hands of my fiance’s Catholic, wealthy and well educated, family.

It is hard enough of a reality to acknowledge the fact that I failed in my struggle to stop the sexual misconduct that allowed for this murder to occur–the unjustified loss of human life–let alone the liklihood that my child, who would be eighteen yrs. old now, never was provided with an opportunity for salvation.

It disgusts me that such a heinous crime is justified by your view that there either is salvation for the unborn, or there is hope of salvation for the unborn.
Whatever man! I can’t believe you are even twisting my words this way. It is incomprehensible and ignorant. First of all let me see if I get your saying straight.

Are you saying that because of the Mercy of God that he might have mercy and allow a child to enter the kingdom of heaven when that child has not been baptised, therefore that is a reason and excuse for women to abort?? So what? So if women use this as an excuse (which is stupid in the first place) to do such a henious crime, therefore that bolsters your theological argument?

Have you thought maybe in God’s infinite mercy your child is in heaven with Him? Have you prayed about that and allowed God to heal you within in this extremely tough wound that has been created by this women?

Lastly, how dare you! How dare you suggest that I support abortion because I believe God has mercy on the little ones he sends to us that don’t make it to baptism. They have done nothing wrong and are not culpable for other’s sins! How dare you suggest I am pro-abortion in your last paragraph. I believe that God creates babies and when they die before they have even had a chance to live it is not their fault. It is either God’s plan through miscarriage, or someone else’s sinfulness that results in the loss of their life.

My response to you previously was about the theological debate about what happens to unbaptised babies. And I wanted to just suggest what the catechism teaches, and what I thought was a clear teaching that it basically is up to the Mercy of God.

What you have done is taken a theological discussion that I believe was not complete on your part and are trying to take cheap shots on me.

Again please explain to me how believing that babies who were not baptised but have died makes me pro-choice? How does that justify abortion and therefore is wrong theologically? And calling me idiotic? WOW, I’m anxious to see what you say next.
 
…you are…twisting my words…Are you saying…He might have mercy and allow a child to enter the kingdom of heaven when that child has not been baptised, therefore that is a reason and excuse for women to abort?..So if women use this as an excuse…that bolsters your theological argument? . …How dare you suggest that I support abortion…
Dear Tally Catholic:

Are you on the side of one whom does not both fear and love God. Children, angels, perhaps some dead, and those of course, rare as it might be purely even in a pantheistic religion may not fear God.

I have no idea, which words of yours you think that I somehow twisted around. You’ll have to find a way to be more specific.

I am in no way saying, suggesting, or even implying that you are Pro-Abortion, or Pro-Death, and you already were thanked and appreciated for your sensitivity to those, such as myself that have experienced the loss of a child, and the reminder it is up to God’s mercy: whom is saved, and whom is not saved.

Those seemingly innocent condemned to Hell is a difficult situation to comprehend, even the sort of Hell that would exist as a place for natural happiness, without any suffering; nonetheless, how can it be otherwise: given no opportunity for a supernatural happiness, and your “so what” attitude toward those women who do use the arugement, very adroitly, to abort children, which you label “stupid” is deplorable. It reasonably is established, and can be furthered that one obstacle to the Pro-Life movement is the refutation of scientifically validated human life, as conceived at the moment of conception.

Pro-Abortionists and others, deny human life can be proven as conceived at the time of conception, and the issue to them is one again many say, which must be proven in theological terms: when from a theological point of view, does human life begin?

The soul has characteristics of intelligence, and of what else: freewill, and immortality and hence, this in many respects defines humanity and therefore, since this is a substantial portion of the meaning behind the word “human”; what can we now say, human life begins at conception? The freewill, the intelligence, and the immortality of the soul are present?

Now we see that man and animal are in fact two substances, which never truly can be classified under the same genus, mammal. If we are to argue as many do, man is an animal, then we have to deny that validity of a theological arguement required by many Planned Parenthood, and Pro-Death supporters, and limit strictly the arguements only to human life as defined, in the same manner as all other animal life, correct?

However, when we argue that human life must be characterized by possession of a soul; therefore, to gain credibility in the realm of an unbiased scientific investigation–we need evidence: measureable facts, at the point of conception, of human life; it would seem reasonable at least to assume as much as this.

My point in the Pro-Life position is to say, human life is of such value that alone to it is salvation possible and therefore, human life must be given a right to life for the benefit of it being provided opportunities to be saved. You and I while alive according to some paragraphs in the CCC have no idea that we are saved, and we are living, with many opportunities even perhaps after Baptism, as it does stand for myself and therefore, apart from Original Sin, free from Original Sin; we can reference God’s infinite mercy to the unborn; though in Original Sin, and what fairness to them would it be that they without an opportunity should be condemned to Hell, though, without any suffering to experience in Hell, and we can say, the matter is open to speculation.

Can we detract from the importance of human life, in possession of a soul, the opportunities afforded to it by life with such speculation? Should we? Condemnation of a soul to Hell as a matter of God’s Judgement is final. The Devil is clever in all efforts to destroy souls, and the demons roam the earth to ruin souls: convince a woman of her right to murder her own child, and one soul, the Mother’s might be saved, though not by means of murdering ones own child, but the child’s life–saved?

Adam lost the image of God for all human kind, for his wife, his children, and every subsequent generation; additionally, even with hope of salvation: The Flood destroyed the earth to the exclusion of whom God placed on The Ark.

Malachi Martin in an interview within The Latin Mass magazine, recorded as well, said, the terror of abortion is in the loss of souls to God’s Kingdom, God the Father knows: they are out of reach! He was saying. Catholicism often is uncomfortable. There is no need for a Catholic to be lukewarm.

Most sincerely,

Kristopher
 
One of the many phrases you have twisted from my previous arguments was when you were quoted as saying “It disgusts me that such a heinous crime is justified by your view that there either is salvation for the unborn, or there is hope of salvation for the unborn.”.

I never said that I justified abortion. That was your words. You said in that post that many people have justified abortion when you said “this hope you think that might be afforded to those unbaptised, without any chance of salvation provided to the remainder of humanity has been cited by at least a few women, whom I have met, as justification for abortion”

I never said or suggested these words. All I did was quote the catechism and said it is in God infinite mercy. Nothing more, nothing less.

How you are derived all of this into the following treatise you have posted is beyond me, and I will not justify the answer, because I do not have time. My two kids are trying to go to bed, my wife is sick and we are on the road for the holidays visiting with relatives.

One last thing though, realize that I meant no harm. I understand that many people on this baord are what you would call lukewarm Catholics. I am not one of them. I am strong in my faith (for you to suggest otherwise is unbased and not appropriate). I wanted to clarify some things I felt needed to be pointed out with your post so people wouldn’t get confused because you sound like you are speaking from fact when in the case you are not.

In fact your previous post you wrote “Those seemingly innocent condemned to Hell is a difficult situation to comprehend, even the sort of Hell that would exist as a place for natural happiness, without any suffering; nonetheless, how can it be otherwise”. This rhetoric suggests you know this to be fact when in case you can never know God mercy. I fear and love God but I understand that Christ died on the Cross for ALL sin, and if he wants little babies to be with him in heaven, it will happen.

Lastly, you say "Malachi Martin in an interview within The Latin Mass magazine, recorded as well, said, the terror of abortion is in the loss of souls to God’s Kingdom, God the Father knows: they are out of reach! ".

I’m sorry to be synical here but I will be. (sarcastic voice) Oh! Well if Malachi Martin says so then it MUST be true!! My point in this is not to condemn you. Its to say you do not know what God is doing for these souls. Let me ask you, would you be surprised if and when you get to heaven to see hitler standing there?

That is not a serious question, but is meant as a thought exercise to point out that God’s mercy can be boundless. For you to suggest otherwise is your belief and suggestion.

I hope you have a happy holiday. This thread is over in my opinion, as I see you have your convictions. You are a very intelligent person and I hope you just know that God loves you! I will be praying for you and hope you pray for me.
 
The biggest problem with the idea of a “limbo” type scenario is the following,

All that is good and joyful is derived from God’s goodness and joy. And infact all that is good and joyful ultimetly point to God as the source. Therefore any natural happiness brings about a desire for the supernatural happiness. That is, natural happiness only serves to open our appetites for God.
Therefore there can be no natural happiness that in itself can satisfy (or bring peace to) the human soul. Hence a soul in “limbo” would be eternally suffering, and I may say even more so that in hell. This is because a person in hell relinquishes the desire for God, so in a sense the soul merely wishes to remain hungry and suffers due to the hunger alone. A person in limbo is one that is continually starving for something it actually seeks unity with. So it suffers due to the hunger but also because of separation.

The idea of a limbo then makes very little sense.

Alex
 
Pope Eugene IV claimed infalibly once at the Council of Florence

“The Most Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and preaches that none of those existing outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans, but also Jews, heretics, and schismatics can never be partakers of eternal life, but that they are to go into the eternal fire ‘which was prepared for the devil and his angels,’ (Mt. 25:41) unless before death they are joined with Her; … no one, even if he pour out his blood for the Name of Christ, can be saved unless they abide within the bosom and unity of the Catholic Church.”

Can someone please explain how this is true? I know the Catholic Church now teaches that those who not through their own fault are separated from the Catholic Church, these people have a chance for heaven. Are both compatible? It could be that people separated from the Catholic Church are really in union with her in some mystical way, and that might explain it. Can someone please help?
ewtn.com/library/SCRIPTUR/EXTRAECC.TXT

may help.
 
That’s what we need–another EENS post. Goodness, we haven’t had one in days!

And combine it with a limbo thread too–I guess it’s kind of a theological turducken. Ah, well, at least it fits the season.

John
 
Dear Tally Catholic:

I am in no way saying, suggesting, or even implying that you are Pro-Abortion, or Pro-Death, and you already were thanked and appreciated for your sensitivity to those, such as myself that have experienced the loss of a child, and the reminder it is up to God’s mercy: whom is saved, and whom is not saved.

Pro-Abortionists and others, deny human life can be proven as conceived at the time of conception, and the issue to them is one again many say, which must be proven in theological terms: when from a theological point of view, does human life begin?

Can we detract from the importance of human life, in possession of a soul, the opportunities afforded to it by life with such speculation? Should we? Condemnation of a soul to Hell as a matter of God’s Judgement is final. The Devil is clever in all efforts to destroy souls, and the demons roam the earth to ruin souls: convince a woman of her right to murder her own child, and one soul, the Mother’s might be saved, though not by means of murdering ones own child, but the child’s life–saved?

Kristopher
If the parents or grandparents decide that a child should not come into the world, should God simply overrule and nullify that act?
 
Dear Tally:

I think that you are misunderstanding the statement: does it not disgust you that your view is used to justify abortion?

In my opinion, so far as your “so what”, and “whatever man” attitude concerning abortion is concerned, and my dead child is concerned, you are lukewarm as a Catholic, and I think that your words serve as a very adequate basis for the comment; additionally, the issue of abortion is such a priority among Catholics that it would have been negligent for me not to address your attitude concerning abortion in fact, your whole attitude toward myself, as a father of an aboretus, has been entirely hypocritical, highly offensive, and horribly immature that you find it difficult to bear up under reasonable and constructive criticism is again all the more disgusting.

I only presented an explanation, as originally requested by the person who initially began the thread: I presented what I did, and clearly stated it as something reasonable and therefore, I had no need as you demanded of me, to retract the statement; furthermore, I have provided you with further sources, upon your own request, only to be insulted even further by you.

“…I fear and love God…”, since you are now making this clear, then I have never stated or suggested that you are an “idiot”. I owe you no apology.

You are thoroughly denying God his full authority: He has, He will again, and He does allow Satan to have his full powers, which clearly means: many are in Hell, are going to Hell, and will go to Hell–even those fatalities of abortion.

God is both merciful, and just, and your view is denying that end of him, which we all know to be just.

Your view already has been adequately appreciated and acknowledged.

Again, I am sorry it is such a discomfort to you that there is this reality of Hell where many do go, without ever suffering, yet fully never recognizing God–it is a pity you seem to fail in your vision, too, God has allowed Satan to have such full powers as to leave many souls condemned to Hell.

I doubt very seriously that you have grasped in any way whatsoever the full terror, the full horror of abortion; though, I to some extent envy your very watered down view of God, of religion–it must be quite a comfort; though, I will expect that you are finding the awakening to be rather rude.

I do think that you are horribly arrogant about abortion, and about God’s mercy.

I do pray the Pro-Life Rosary very often; I hope that you will do the same as well. There is a nice line as the second decade is prayed that Our Lady of Guadalupe has these little ones in her arms, and I do believe that she does have them in her arms; though, I think that they hardly know her at all, and never can know her as the Mother of God–and I did use the word “think”.

God’s love is boundless: I know, too, God owes nothing to the soul. Salvation is a gift. Sanctifying grace is a gift. It is nothing God owes to anyone. Many people think that they are saved by Jesus’ name. Others think that they are saved by The Church. I will only know that I am saved, when I am in heaven, and if you think that I have no longing to see whomever it was my fiance’s family aborted, my child, in Heaven, then you are a fool.

It is written somewhere, because Jesus was well enough acquainted with the aspect of his Father that is just: Jesus took it upon himself to suffer as he did, from The Agony in the Garden, to his Crucifiction to demonstrate to all humanity that sin is a very great horror, a very great terror. He could have suffered for all humanities sins, past, present and future, with only one drop of his precious blood, because he is God: he went the full nine yards, because he knows his Father’s justice, and wanted many souls spared of it.

Enjoy your family, and your Thanksgiving. I hope that you will pray the Pro-Life Rosary. I struggle to do so daily, or at least weekly, and am very happy when I do so even monthly.

You might spiritually adopt an unborn child: there is a beautiful prayer to be done daily, for nine months, initiated by the late Bishop Fulton Sheen, whom you might recognize as the one that defined what it is to be Pro-Life. I have a second spiritually adopted child, and hope to see him/her in Heaven.

It goes something like this: Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you very much, and I beg you to spare the life of the unborn child whose life is endanger of abortion, (State his/her name.), …

Most sincerely,

Kristopher
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top