Okay, so my sacristan asked me if I could serve a few Stations of the Cross liturgies during Lent, because I work at the church’s Lenten Fish Fry and it’s easy for me to walk to the church and serve. So, I said I would. Can someone give me a little outline on what we do at this liturgy? I have been to them before, but I really can’t remember.
Yes, I know Lent is way off, but I just wanted a refresher course.
It’s relatively simple. First of all, follow the directions of the priest, but here’s the typical way that they’re done:
Opening of the Stations, prayers are said kneeling at the steps of the altar. Kneel or stand when the priest does so, at his side–follow what the priest is doing, not the congregation. If you are carrying the processional cross, however, never kneel (so just ignore the later parts about kneeling). If you have a candle, do kneel (unless it’s a very large one, or a processional candle on a pole). Just hold the cross, and stand at the priest’s side. If you have the cross or candle, it’s best not to try to take a book with you, as this becomes akward.
For the Stations themselves, walk in front of the priest (who should always be last). Space yourself so that your’re just enough ahead of him so that the priest will be standing directly in front of the station that’s being said. Stand when he stands, kneel when he kneels. Typically, the priest will announce the station, then say “We adore You O Christ, and we praise You” R “Because by Your Holy Cross…” Some priests genuflect before this verse and stay down, others so so after it. Regardless, stand when he stands, kneel when he kneels. At the end, there’s likewise prayers before the altar. Again, just do whatever the priest is doing. It’s very simple, and there isn’t much in the way of rubrics when doing the Stations.