Can there be a greatest truth for God?

• Thread starter Thread starter Eric_Hyom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eric_Hyom

Jesus spoke about two commandments being greatest for man, but can these same commandments have a greatest meaning for God also?

God the Father loves all that he is with all of his heart, soul, mind and strength.
God the Father loves each and every one of us as he loves himself?

Jesus lived his life as a man by the greatest commandments of God. But after his death and resurrection does Jesus continue to love each and every one of us as he loves himself?

In the spirit of searching for God

Eric

Jesus spoke about two commandments being greatest for man, but can these same commandments have a greatest meaning for God also?

God the Father loves all that he is with all of his heart, soul, mind and strength.

Jesus lived his life as a man by the greatest commandments of God. But after his death and resurrection does Jesus continue to love each and every one of us as he loves himself?

Eric
Do we exist? Well, the only thing that keeps us in existence is that our existence (God) wills the good (existence) for us, i.e. loves us.

The greatest truth for God is Himself, that’s why Jews give him the title Emet (Emes, I think Ashkenazis say it), Truth.

Also, the greatest truth of our lives is, similarly, our existence–God, hence the name I AM.

A good argument for the divine authorship of Scripture is that God revealed his true nature–subsistent act of being–to the Jews, at a time when they lacked the philosophical understanding to really grasp what it meant. I guarantee, in other words, that no Jew of Moses’ time would have thought that God’s name should reveal his uniqueness, personhood, eternity, and the fact that Existence is his essence.

Greetings and peace be with you Hastrman;

Thank you for your reply, you say that existence is a greatest truth, but can the greatest reason to exist be the greatest commandments?

Can God the Father love each one of us as he loves himself?

In the spirit of searching for a loving God.

Eric

Greetings and peace be with you all,

Although I cannot make any claims for truth; the greatest commandments do not seem out of place when searching for a meaning of Jesus the Son of God. Maybe there are ways to test for meaning by asking some questions; we talk about God’s infinite love for us, but how could God love each one of us more than he loves himself?

In a way, God loves us more than he loves himself, because he was willing to do what was good for us but not good for him (send his Son to die). In a sort of contradicting way, God loves himself more than us, because he knows that he is the greatest being and retains the power of heaven and hell.

If God really did love me as he loves himself; what kind of a burden would I be to God. If I did not sin it would be easier for God to love me; but every time I sin does God forgive me so that he may continue loving me as he loves himself? In order for God to persist loving me in this way he would need to keep forgiving me many big sins and many repeated sins?

Jesus on the cross said forgive them Father for they know not what they are doing. In many ways I look on Jesus saying this directly to me. Does the death and resurrection of Jesus hang on the greatest commandments?

In order for me to love my neighbours as I love myself, should I forgive them each time they harm me in some way? If I don’t forgive them; how can I continue to love them as I love myself? I am a Catholic and if another Catholic harmed my child should I forgive him because he is a Catholic? Is it easier for me to forgive others if they are also Catholic? What if the person harming my child in the same way is an atheist, Muslim, Anglican, Hindu or Jew? Should that make any difference to me, should I also forgive them and keep on loving them as I love myself?

When I harm my neighbour; do I make it more difficult for my neighbour to carry on loving me as he loves himself?

It seems the greatest commandments place a huge burden on me; if I strive to live my life through them. Like Jesus I would need to continually forgive right up to death.

Why did Jesus say the commandments are greatest, do they have a greatest meaning in Heaven also? Are the commandments a greatest image of God, and have we been created in this image of God?

If our greatest task in life is to live by the greatest commandments here on Earth, would it also make sense that we should live by them after death? Will commandments like killing, stealing and adultery still make sense in heaven if we are then immortal?

In the spirit of growing together in Christ

Eric

Eric
Greatest truth for God?

Wow. What a question.

How about:

God is God. God is Love.

If our greatest task in life is to live by the greatest commandments here on Earth, would it also make sense that we should live by them after death? Will commandments like killing, stealing and adultery still make sense in heaven if we are then immortal?
Our wills are going to be entirely united to God’s, so acts of evil will not even be a remote possibility. Thus, the commandments will be obsolete, as well as faith.

The commandments exist because we have concupiscence on earth. That will be removed from us in Purgatory.

Although I cannot make any claims for truth; the greatest commandments do not seem out of place when searching for a meaning of Jesus the Son of God. Maybe there are ways to test for meaning by asking some questions; we talk about God’s infinite love for us, but how could God love each one of us more than he loves himself?

you have to understand the word “infinite”. If God’s love is infinite, it does not have limits. We have trouble comprehending this idea because we can not experince infinity. If you try to picture something that is infinite in you’re mind. You’ve already tanted you’re atempt to grow in you’re understanding of infinity. If something is infinite it has no phisical boundrys.

In a way, God loves us more than he loves himself, because he was willing to do what was good for us but not good for him (send his Son to die). In a sort of contradicting way, God loves himself more than us, because he knows that he is the greatest being and retains the power of heaven and hell.

It’s not that God loves us more than himself or the other way around. God has the capaticy to love more than us. God’s love is infinite. Ours is not.
God does not love himself more than us because he knows he is the greatist being. God’s knolage of himself being the greatist being is just that. Something he knows. Not a reasion he loves himself, or a reasion to love us less.

If God really did love me as he loves himself; what kind of a burden would I be to God. If I did not sin it would be easier for God to love me; but every time I sin does God forgive me so that he may continue loving me as he loves himself? In order for God to persist loving me in this way he would need to keep forgiving me many big sins and many repeated sins?

Our status of being a sinner or not a sinner, making it easier to be loved by God, is a human interpration of what love is.
Love, real true love does not have pre-requirements. It’s not real love, it’s not God’s infinite love, IF someone says “I’ll love you unless you do this.” or “I’ll love you only to this point.”

Jesus on the cross said forgive them Father for they know not what they are doing. In many ways I look on Jesus saying this directly to me. Does the death and resurrection of Jesus hang on the greatest commandments?

I think Jesus is leading by example. He is showing us how great his love is by becoming one of his creatures and allowing his creatures to murder him.
God being all knowing, knows we are stupid.And does not hold that against us.

In order for me to love my neighbours as I love myself, should I forgive them each time they harm me in some way? If I don’t forgive them; how can I continue to love them as I love myself? I am a Catholic and if another Catholic harmed my child should I forgive him because he is a Catholic? Is it easier for me to forgive others if they are also Catholic? What if the person harming my child in the same way is an atheist, Muslim, Anglican, Hindu or Jew? Should that make any difference to me, should I also forgive them and keep on loving them as I love myself?

They should forgiven others regardless of there religion because, if we are to ask for forgivness and mercy, we too must give others our mercy and forgivness.

When I harm my neighbour; do I make it more difficult for my neighbour to carry on loving me as he loves himself?

Yes. If you came over and beat me up, it would make it harder for me to love you as I love myself.

It seems the greatest commandments place a huge burden on me; if I strive to live my life through them. Like Jesus I would need to continually forgive right up to death.

Just like Jesus did! “Jesus on the cross said forgive them Father for they know not what they are doing”

Why did Jesus say the commandments are greatest, do they have a greatest meaning in Heaven also? Are the commandments a greatest image of God, and have we been created in this image of God?

I think it has to do with our understanding of who/what God is. God is love! God being infinite, that when God spoke his word is infinite too. With God’s word being infinite, it is everything he is, so much so that his word IS him. This being God the Father and God the Son. Now since the Father and the Son are infinite, there love is infinite. Because there love for each other is so infinite and so real, there love is it’s own person. Hence the Holy Spirit. God is love. So much so we as humans can barely fathom what love is.

In the spirit of growing together in Christ

Eric

Greetings and peace be with you adam
**It’s not that God loves us more than himself or the other way around. God has the capaticy to love more than us. **
Yes I am wholly in agreement that God has a greater capacity to love us.
*God’s love is infinite. Ours is not. *
The use of the word infinite is challenging, and whilst God’s love is beyond our understanding; I wonder if infinite really makes sense. Can God love us infinitely more than he loves himself.

Just to dare to think that God could love us as he loves himself is a love beyond our understanding

In many ways I am searching for a meaning as to how I should strive to live my life by the greatest commandments. Certainly Jesus said two commandments above all else are greatest for man and this must make a greatest truth for man.

*In the spirit of searching for God’s love *

Eric

This weeks Gospel is the transfiguration and I wonder if the symbolism is linked to the greatest commandments. Moses is said to represent the law and Elijah is said to represent the prophets. All the law and the prophets hang on the greatest commandments. Does Jesus the central figure of the transfiguration represent the greatest commandments?

Mathew 17 : 1-9
Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother,
and led them up a high mountain by themselves.
And he was transfigured before them;
his face shone like the sun
and his clothes became white as light.
And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them,
conversing with him.

In the spirit of searching for God’s love

Eric

Can God love us infinitely more than he loves himself.

I don’t think it’s a question of infinitely more. I’d have to compare that to the idea of a 4 sided triangle. I think if you focus on the fact that God loves us infinitely.
Frank Sheeds “Theology and Sanity” may be helpfull to you. Any public library will have it.

. Can God love us infinitely more than he loves himself.
Just to dare to think that God could love us as he loves himself is a love beyond our understanding

I think there is a better and more urgent question to ask: can I love the Father as Christ loves Him? This is what we are called upon and given the grace to do as we are transformed into a truer images of Christ, the Father’s One Love, through obedience to Him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back