Can this serve as my Friday penance?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 23masterlamp
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
2

23masterlamp

Guest
Everyday I pray a Rosary, but on Fridays I would like to pray an extra one as well as pray the Stations of the Cross. Could this serve as my penance instead of abstinence from meat?
 
Everyday I pray a Rosary, but on Fridays I would like to pray an extra one as well as pray the Stations of the Cross. Could this serve as my penance instead of abstinence from meat?
If you’re in America, where you’re required to make some variety of sacrifice, and it doesn’t have to be abstinence from meat, sure. Knock yourself out.

I am agnostic about the Friday requirements of other countries.
 
You don’t say where you live and that makes a difference. In the UK, for example, abstinence from meat is required on Fridays. In other countries it may or may not be required.

You also don’t specify a time of year. In the US, during Lent, abstinence from meat is required on Fridays. At other times of the year it is not required.

Personally, I hate to think of prayer as a penance, but that’s a whole different conversation.
 
Everyday I pray a Rosary, but on Fridays I would like to pray an extra one as well as pray the Stations of the Cross. Could this serve as my penance instead of abstinence from meat?
The Sacrament of Reconciliation has no substitute. It is a Sacrament given by God through his servants the clergy.

Abstinence is not penance. It is an offering to God just like fasting is a personal offering.

God bless you for wanting to pray more during Lent; that’s very admirable and devout. However, please don’t think we can mix and substitute what we want to offer to God with what is required by God. Have a Blessed Lent!👍
 
You don’t say where you live and that makes a difference. In the UK, for example, abstinence from meat is required on Fridays. In other countries it may or may not be required.
Actually, abstinence from meat is only a requirement in England and Wales, but not in Scotland or (as far as I know) Ireland. This is because there isn’t a Bishops’ Conference for the UK as a whole - there’s the Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales, the Bishops’ Conference of Scotland, and the Bishops’ Conference of Ireland, so they have different rules.
 
Assuming you’re permitted to substitute an alternate penance, yes it would.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top