Can we have a Saint as a spiritual director?

  • Thread starter Thread starter erik_none
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

erik_none

Guest
I’ve been reading about Padre Pio and have grown very fond of his life and holiness. I have been praying with him and asking for his guidance and intercession a lot lately and was wondering; By having a devotion to him, and reading about his life, can I use him as a spiritual director? Or should I have someone else take that role? Either way, I would still look to Padre as a teacher.
 
Padre Pio does rock. Praying for his intercession and reading his writings and books about him is commendable and likely very edifying, but, generally, spiritual directors are among the church militant (among the living still here on Earth) and not the church triumphant.

Unless you have a living Saint as a S.D. I would likely have to say it’s not a prudent course.
 
Padre Pio does rock. Praying for his intercession and reading his writings and books about him is commendable and likely very edifying, but, generally, spiritual directors are among the church militant (among the living still here on Earth) and not the church triumphant.

Unless you have a living Saint as a S.D. I would likely have to say it’s not a prudent course.
Edited.
 
Unless you have a living Saint as a S.D. I would likely have to say it’s not a prudent course.
I beg to differ. I have read, am reading, and still have much to read about St. Faustina and I have never received better spiritual direction than through her epic tome which has and will continue to resonate my own soul.
 
I’ve been reading about Padre Pio and have grown very fond of his life and holiness. I have been praying with him and asking for his guidance and intercession a lot lately and was wondering; By having a devotion to him, and reading about his life, can I use him as a spiritual director? Or should I have someone else take that role? Either way, I would still look to Padre as a teacher.
When he was alive he could have been your spiritual director…but now get a priest you can talk to…unless Padre Pio is appearing to you. :rolleyes:
 
I beg to differ. I have read, am reading, and still have much to read about St. Faustina and I have never received better spiritual direction than through her epic tome which has and will continue to resonate my own soul.
Many people read books on the lives of the saints & are inspired BUT this is not the same as getting personal spiritual direction for your particular problems.
 
I think it depends on what you mean by “spiritual direction.” In present Catholic contexts, the term is most often used to describe a person going to another living person (who has ordinarily been trained in spiritual direction) in order to receive guidance in their spiritual journey.

But, sure, I suppose you could use the term in a general sense. Any spiritual classic I read might give me “direction” that I use in my ongoing “spiritual” life. But I think most Catholics who are familiar with spiritual direction will construe a person taking on a saint as their “spiritual director” as someone who is implicitly claiming to have some visions or something of that nature.

So, certainly, we read the writings of the saints, we pray for their intercession, and we develop relationships with them. But to call them our “spiritual director” I think could cause confusion.
 
I received the book “Padre Pio’s Spiritual Direction for Every Day” as a confirmation gift, and it’s very edifying. I am still interested in finding a personal spiritual director however.
 
When and if I find a person with the qualifications of a saint such as St. Faustina or Padre Pio, I will seek direction from them. Right now the Saints are the only ones that have the time and inclination to listen to me, pray on my behalf and through them I have my prayers answered.
 
When and if I find a person with the qualifications of a saint such as St. Faustina or Padre Pio, I will seek direction from them. Right now the Saints are the only ones that have the time and inclination to listen to me, pray on my behalf and through them I have my prayers answered.
Hard to argue with that. 🙂 The saints are always there to listen and intercede. Spiritual directors who are still among the Church militant are not always so readily available. 😛
 
I don’t know if you can have St Padre Pio as your Spiritual Director, but you can always have him as your Soul Friend 🙂
 
I’m guided, I hope, by the Holy Spirit and I see little need of a spiritual director.
 
The Holy Spirit can arrange anything.

BUT

unless you are sure the Holy Spirit is acting as your Spiritual Director or a Saint is appearing and discoursing with you, get a human would can talk to.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top