Can/will the Antichrist receive communion?

• Thread starter Thread starter Louis_IX
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Louis_IX

Is it theologically or doctrinally possible for the Antichrist to receive communion ?

I have been pondering this since I read Kenneth Whitehead’s article “The Church in Crisis” in Feb 2003 New Oxford Review where Napoleon (sometimes referred to as a little Antichrist) kidnapped the Pope Pius VII and forced him to be at the Coronation Mass.
The Pope refused to preside because Napoleon refused Communion (and Confession before hand).

I would think that as long as the person who will become the Antichrist has not been indwelt by Satan, there would be nothing preventing him from receiving Communion.

Would not Satan recoil at the thought of Holy Communion ?

Would this be a good indicator of identifying the Antichrist - Someone that is never seen taking Communion (validly consecrated of course - but we could be tricked with that too) ?

One would only hope that we wouldn’t have to deal with that in our lifetime, let the younger generation take care of it 😃

Louis IX:
Is it theologically or doctrinally possible for the Antichrist to receive communion?
I personally don’t believe the antichrist is a single figure:

Antichrist shows up 4 times in the entire NT: 1 John 2:18, 1 John 2:22, 1 John 4:3, 2 John 1:7

And they tell us few simple things: There’s many of them (1 John 2:18). They deny the father and the son (1 John 2:22). They were deceivers who deny Christ’s humanity (2 John 1:7). So who was St. John referring to??

Simple: The first century gnostics are the antichrists. Plain and simple exegesis…(my opinion of course)

So I don’t think it’s possible for a single figure to even be the antichrist, since there’s a whole bunch of them (the gnostics). I also don’t believe in a future mr. antichrist figure for the reasons I just gave.

Thus, I think it’s impossible for any future antichrists to receive communion: The many antichrists St. John specifically referred to lived many years ago!

-Jason

The Church has traditionally taught that there are many Antichrists throughout history, but there will indeed be a final one who will give the Church many tribulations.

From the Catechism:
675 Before Christ’s second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers. (Luke 18:18; Matthew 24:12) The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth (Luke 21:12; John 15:19-20) will unveil the “mystery of iniquity” in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh. (2 Thessalonians 2:3-12; 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3; John 7; 1 John 2:1, 8, 22)
676 The Antichrist’s deception already begins to take shape in the world every time the claim is made to realize within history that messianic hope which can only be realized beyond history through the eschatological judgement. The Church has rejected even modified forms of this falsification of the kingdom to come under the name of millenarianism, especially the intrinsically perverse political form of a secular messianism.
677 The Church will enter the glory of the kingdom only through this final Passover, when she will follow her Lord in his death and Resurrection. (Revelation 19:1-9) The kingdom will be fulfilled, then, not by a historic triumph of the Church through a progressive ascendancy, but only by God’s victory over the final unleashing of evil, which will cause his Bride to come down from heaven. (Revelation 13:8; 20:7-10; 21:2-4) God’s triumph over the revolt of evil will take the form of the Last Judgement after the final cosmic upheaval of this passing world.

Theoretically speaking, I would think that an antichrist, or, if you prefer, THE Antichrist, would relish the sacreligious nature of receiving the Eucharist unworthily. But what do I know?

The word ‘antichrist’ may only be mentioned a few times…but there are references to him under other names as well.
…that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come.
Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,
who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God. I] (2 Thes. 2:2-4, NASB)
Even the book of Daniel (chapter 11 perhaps?) speaks of the “king” who will exalt himself. I’m coming from an Evangelical background…currently at the gates of Rome (not yet confirmed)…are there any Catholic interpreters who see mention of the antichrist in the book of Daniel?

Louis IX:
Would not Satan recoil at the thought of Holy Communion ?

Would this be a good indicator of identifying the Antichrist - Someone that is never seen taking Communion (validly consecrated of course - but we could be tricked with that too) ?
What happens in the ‘Left Behind’ books??? Does he receive the Eucharist? haha just kidding…

Wow. Talk about reserectuion.This thread was dead for a year.

That sure beats Jesus’ three days!

:hmmm: Maybe this thread is the anti-christ?

There as many different AntiChrists as there are Schools of Theology and Anti-Catholocism.
I use the word “school” to mean particular types of thought - NOT a school as in the usual meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back