Can you be re-baptized Catholic?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Angel_Guided
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Angel_Guided

Guest
I was baptized Catholic as an infant. I was raised Catholic for part of my life until my parents divorced. I want to be re-baptized with water in the church. How can I do this?:angel1:
 
No. As Paul reminds us there is one Lord, one faith, and one baptism. Baptism can never be repeated. A valid baptism, in the Trinitarian formula, with water performed on another person with the intent to do what the Church intends, imparts an invisible seal on the soul of the baptized, which can never be eradicated, even if that person later gives up the practice of the Faith. The sacrament may not be repeated and to attempt it is a sacrilege.

The remedy for a baptized person who has strayed and now wishes to return to full communion with the Church is sacramental confession. If you were never catechized (taught the Faith) or received the other initiation sacraments, you go to the pastor of the closest Catholic Church and ask him how you can receive education in the Faith and prepare for confession, first communion, and Confirmation.

forgot to say a hearty “Welcome Home”
 
I was baptized Catholic as an infant. I was raised Catholic for part of my life until my parents divorced. I want to be re-baptized with water in the church. How can I do this?:angel1:
No…this can never happen.

There can be only one baptism…it imprints on you the seal of Christ!

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P3N.HTM

But one can renew ones baptismal promises devotionally when ever you like…my wife and I do so every day.

It can be a simple prayer even like “Lord Jesus Christ, I renew my baptismal promises and will follow you as your disciple”

We do it liturgically 2 x a year…most importantly at Easter.

Holy Water (a sign of ones Baptism as well) can be used …not as a “rebaptism” but as a sign…

also the very sign of the cross is such a renewal 🙂

Read the chapter on it is Cardinal Ratzingers (now Pope Benedict XVI book…“The Spirit of the Liturgy”

also read:

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/homilies/2006/documents/hf_ben-xvi_hom_20060108_battesimo_en.htm

These too will be of interest:

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/homilies/2006/documents/hf_ben-xvi_hom_20060415_veglia-pasquale_en.html

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/homilies/2007/documents/hf_ben-xvi_hom_20070407_veglia-pasquale_en.html

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/homilies/2008/documents/hf_ben-xvi_hom_20080322_veglia-pasquale_en.html

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/homilies/2009/documents/hf_ben-xvi_hom_20090411_veglia-pasquale_en.html

vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/homilies/2010/documents/hf_ben-xvi_hom_20100403_veglia-pasquale_en.html

Also remember that Confession…is like a “renewal” of Baptism…and one can even include such in ones contrition…

“Lord Jesus I am sorry for these and all my sins and renew my baptismal promises, I will follow you as your disciple” or “…I renounce the Devil and all his pomps and will follow you as your disciple”

Tis up to you what you say of course…
 
Look at the Creed that we pray every Sunday and Holy Day.

“I believe in one baptism for the remission of sins”

As a Catholic you must believe this.
 
Although you can’t be baptized again, you can renew your baptismal vows, much as you can renew your marriage vows. At Easter, parishes do this together: all recite the baptismal promises and are sprinkled with water. You can use this Lent as an opportunity to prepare yourself for this moment through prayer and sacrifice and when it comes, re-dedicate yourself to the love and service of Christ.

In fact, the use of Holy Water as we enter and leave a church or at other times is a reminder of the waters of baptism and an opportunity to re-dedicate your life to God.
 
I was baptized Catholic as an infant. I was raised Catholic for part of my life until my parents divorced. I want to be re-baptized with water in the church. How can I do this?:angel1:
You cannot be re-Baptized. You didn’t mention what other Sacraments (if any) you received during your upbringing in the Church.

If you wish to reestablish your relationship with Christ’s Holy Church, and ‘pick up where you left off,’ as it were, I would recommend you speak to your local Priest. He will be able to direct you in what you need to do to enter back into full communion (if needed) and receive the Sacraments.

If you have not been Confirmed, for example, there would be a process to go through to receive Confirmation.

God bless you!
 
You still need to get Confirmed anyway. Speak with a priest to get back into the Church and he’ll let you know and how you can get Confirmed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top