Can your Child be too religious? Time article

  • Thread starter Thread starter jimmy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jimmy

Guest
I agree completely with it. Religion can easily become an expression of mental ilness.
Religion can be a source of comfort that improves well-being. But some kinds of religiosity could be a sign of deeper mental health issues.

Seeing their kids more eager to pray than play video games, most parents would shout, “Hallelujah” or whatever their expression of joy. And they should. Research shows that religion can be a positive force in the lives of children, just as can be for adults. “Religion,” says Bill Hathaway, a clinical psychologist of religion and Dean of the School of Psychology and Counseling at Regent University, “is related to the child having a higher sense of self esteem, better academic adjustment and lower rates of substance abuse and delinquent or criminal behavior.”

So if your child is immersed in scripture after school and prays regularly throughout the day, you may breathe a sigh of relief. She’s such a good girl. My boy is okay.
Or maybe not. Your child’s devotion may be a great thing, but there are some kids whose religious observances require a deeper look. For these children, an overzealous practice of their family faith — or even another faith — may be a sign of an underlying mental health issue or a coping mechanism for dealing with unaddressed trauma or stress.

Therapists in private practice report that they are seeing children and teens across a range of faiths whose religious practice can be problematic. The amount of time they spend praying, or in other acts of spiritual practice, is not as important, they say, as the quality of this devotion, and whether it helps the children or instead isolates them and undermines their schoolwork and relationships. Children with obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), for example, may rigidly repeat holy verses, say Hail Mary’s or focus on other rituals less out of a deeper sense of faith but more as an expression of their disorder. “It looks positive but could be negative,” says Stephanie Mihalas, a UCLA professor and licensed clinical psychologist.

Such ritualistic behavior, she says, may also reflect a child’s way of coping with anxiety, and in reality could be no more spiritual than fanatical hand washing or dreading to walk on cracks. “These kids fear that if they don’t obey their religious rules perfectly,” explains Carole Lierberman, MD, a psychiatrist in Beverly Hills, “God will punish them.”

Some children suffer from scrupulosity**,** a form of OCD that involves a feeling of guilt and shame. Sufferers obsessively worry that they have committed blasphemy, been impure or otherwise sinned. They tend to focus on certain rules or rituals rather than the whole of their faith. They worry that God will never forgive them. And this can signal the onset of depression or anxiety, says John Duffy, a Chicago area clinical psychologist specializing in adolescents. “Kids who have made ‘mistakes’ with sex or drug use,” he says, “may have trouble forgiving themselves.”

Such fastidiousness to religious practices may not seem so harmful, but extreme behavior such as delusions or hallucinations may be a sign of serious mental illness. Seeing and hearing things that are not there can be symptoms of manic-depressive, bipolar disorder, or early onset schizophrenia. But parents may be less attuned to such unhealthy behavior when it occurs under the guise of faith.

It’s not unusual that children in families where marital discord, harsh discipline, abuse, or addiction are present, perform rituals for protection. If they know their parents approve of religion, says Lieberman, “they try to be good little children and stay below the radar of the family chaos or parents’ rage.” Or, as Mihalas has seen, some children push their already observant parents to be even stricter, fearing that catastrophe will strike otherwise.
When does religiosity raise these red flags? The crucial test focuses on how the kids are functioning in the rest of their lives. Are they doing well at school, playing sports or music, socializing with friends? If so, then their faith is probably a source of strength and resilience. If, however, the religious practices and rituals seem to be overtaking their daily lives, and displacing their normal activities, experts suggest taking steps to understand what’s triggering the focus on faith. To guide the discussion, here’s what they recommend:

Model a healthy balance between religion and life
Show them in your own behavior, suggests Mihalas, how religion can co-exist with enjoying life.

If your child switches to a different style of religion, be tolerant
If your children are doing well in other areas of their life, don’t panic, says Hathaway. Unless you feel strongly that they are morally wrong, take this shift in stride.

Be alert to a sudden and pervasive shift in religious practice
Talk to your child about it. Ask her what her religion means to her. Ask him what he is getting out of it, how it makes him feel.

If you feel your child needs help, find a therapist comfortable with religion
Before engaging a therapist, ask about his or her comfort level with devout religious practice.

Religious families need not worry that therapy will draw their child away from their faith, Hathaway says. He recalls one girl struggling with anorexia who felt that she could never be “good enough” to satisfy the harsh, judgmental God of her imagination. After psychological treatment that included a spiritual element, she not only recovered from her anorexia, she developed a more positive view of God, of other people and herself. Instead of being weighed down by guilt and anxiety, her spiritual life became a comfort and joy. And that’s the role that religion should have for people of faith.
healthland.time.com/2013/03/28/can-your-child-be-too-religious/
 
St. Therese and St. Dominic Savio would disagree.

That article is written by secular-relativists for secular-relativists. In otherwords Hokum. Another example of “The Press” conflating OCD issues with “religiosity” to extend a meme and herald their message that “religion is bad”.

OCD is a real problem but, separate from Religon. “Scrupulosity” is a manifestation of the OCD. But, it has NOTHING to do with religion. Religon “may be” the outward vehicle in which the OCD behavior manifests but it is NOT the cause. There is something else at the root.

Pay no attention to articles such as this. :knight1:
 
St. Therese and St. Dominic Savio would disagree.

That article is written by secular-relativists for secular-relativists. In otherwords Hokum. Another example of “The Press” conflating OCD issues with “religiosity” to extend a meme and herald their message that “religion is bad”.

OCD is a real problem but, separate from Religon. “Scrupulosity” is a manifestation of the OCD. But, it has NOTHING to do with religion. Religon “may be” the outward vehicle in which the OCD behavior manifests but it is NOT the cause. There is something else at the root.

Pay no attention to articles such as this. :knight1:
That was the point of the article though… that if a child’s religious practices seem obsessive, it may be an indication of an underlying disorder that should be treated. It certainly doesn’t bash religion!
 
Meh, Time’s just looking to stir the pot. I don’t read 'em anymore, and haven’t for years.
 
Its not TIME… Its the source/ideas… Standby for Christian kids to be declared mentally ill…
 
St. Therese and St. Dominic Savio would disagree.

That article is written by secular-relativists for secular-relativists. In otherwords Hokum. Another example of “The Press” conflating OCD issues with “religiosity” to extend a meme and herald their message that “religion is bad”.

OCD is a real problem but, separate from Religon. “Scrupulosity” is a manifestation of the OCD. But, it has NOTHING to do with religion. Religon “may be” the outward vehicle in which the OCD behavior manifests but it is NOT the cause. There is something else at the root.

Pay no attention to articles such as this. :knight1:
Its not TIME… Its the source/ideas… Standby for Christian kids to be declared mentally ill…
Actually they wouldn’t. Not at all. I explained this in the other thread started about this article, but there is a huge difference between extreme sanctity and holiness such as that of Sts Therese Dominic Savio etc and the kind of mental illness this article is talking about. I know because I had to watch my brother suffer though exactly what this article is talking about. It got so bad that through his OCD/Scrupulosity type issues he became catatonic, he was so terrified that any and every thing he might be doing would be sinful that he could not bring himself to do anything, even get up to go to the bathroom or eat. Of course, this was all part of a manifestation of deep mental illness, he was diagnosed with Schizophrenia and is on extremely strong medication for which he needs to go in to the hospital every week for blood tests to even be able to function at the level he currently does, which is still without being able to be a self-supporting adult. This article is spot on and should not be bashed or ignored in any way. There is a huge difference between religiousity and sanctity and the kind of mental illness this article is talking about which can manifest itself through religious expression.
 
As somebody who has for a long time suffered from scrupulosity, I can understand what the article might mean.
Focussing more on outer rituals than on the love of God and my inner attitude toward Him… this I am learning with a priest who does therapy… does not make me a better person.
It can actually hinder my faith, I have come to experience. It makes me approach my faith with ifear, always scared of doing something wrong. It can take the joy out of celebrations and feast days for fear I might do something wrong or insecurity what is an obligation and what not.
 
So you guys think clinical pschologists are just lying and they are saying this so that they can declare Christians mentally I’ll. Riiiighhht!!! I have had family members who had mental breaks, and all they could think about was religion. You guys might just say that was grace working to convert them, but I would say they would have been better off forgetting completely about religion. They drove themselves crazy. You’re better off being a mentally healthy atheist, than a borderline schizophrenic.
 
… is there something wrong with me? Instead of faith something in my head is possibly making me sick?
 
Oh gosh, scrupulosity. It was awful when I suffered it. It did things to me. I can honestly say it almost caused me to lose sanity, and I’m not kidding. It was extremely emotionally damaging to me.

But as it’s been said, it’s not reflective of religion itself. Actually, I can tell it was all engineered diabolically.
 
Actually they wouldn’t. Not at all. I explained this in the other thread started about this article, but there is a huge difference between extreme sanctity and holiness such as that of Sts Therese Dominic Savio etc and the kind of mental illness this article is talking about. I know because I had to watch my brother suffer though exactly what this article is talking about. It got so bad that through his OCD/Scrupulosity type issues he became catatonic, he was so terrified that any and every thing he might be doing would be sinful that he could not bring himself to do anything, even get up to go to the bathroom or eat. Of course, this was all part of a manifestation of deep mental illness, he was diagnosed with Schizophrenia and is on extremely strong medication for which he needs to go in to the hospital every week for blood tests to even be able to function at the level he currently does, which is still without being able to be a self-supporting adult. This article is spot on and should not be bashed or ignored in any way. There is a huge difference between religiousity and sanctity and the kind of mental illness this article is talking about which can manifest itself through religious expression.
I pray and hope you and your brother have the peace and healing you need. :gopray::knight1:
 
That was the point of the article though… that if a child’s religious practices seem obsessive, it may be an indication of an underlying disorder that should be treated. It certainly doesn’t bash religion!
I agree. I have seen to many ‘street preachers’ that need a place to live and treatment that there is a difference between religious practices and mentely ill. 🙂 :gopray::knight1:
 
it is important to keep scrupulosity separate from religion, meaning: Somebody who is scrupulous might exaggerate some things about their religion (like fear of sin, applying it to situations where there is no sin), but that doesn’t eman the religion itself is damaging. Only what scrupulosity does WITH it.
If that person was not religious, the OCD probably would take on anoher form.

My faith actually HELPS me with my fears. 🙂
God’s love and mercy are so great… our scrupulosity “wants” us to forget that, but our faith can remind us of it. 🙂
 
I agree completely with it. Religion can easily become an expression of mental ilness.

healthland.time.com/2013/03/28/can-your-child-be-too-religious/
I’m always wary of articles that mention religion in secular media so I read this article carefully. The author did a good job making a distiction between religious devotion and scrupulosity. Considering that mental illness is a difficult subject to nuance and adding religion to the mix makes it almost impossible.
 
Its not TIME… Its the source/ideas… Standby for Christian kids to be declared mentally ill…
Someone is always bound to misinterpet something. I heard Christopher West in person and I ran into someone I knew. She was so off the mark and thought he was suggesting that Catholics become nudists.
 
I love it how the author juxtaposes religion and enjoyment of life. And religion and life in general. It is obvious that religion is just an activity for the author, like sports or being a member of a club.
 
As an OCD/Scrupe from age 7, I thought the article did an okay job of giving a broad sweep of the problem but it probably should have included a couple of examples to illustrate its points. I think examples would give the article solidity and act as proof that it’s not a secular article with religion-bashing as its intent. :twocents:
So you guys think clinical pschologists are just lying and they are saying this so that they can declare Christians mentally I’ll. Riiiighhht!!! I have had family members who had mental breaks, and all they could think about was religion. You guys might just say that was grace working to convert them, but I would say they would have been better off forgetting completely about religion. They drove themselves crazy. You’re better off being a mentally healthy atheist, than a borderline schizophrenic.
I see where you’re coming from although I have to disagree that being a mentally healthy atheist is better than having a mental illness. That’s like comparing apples and oranges. Not to in any way minimize the suffering of a schizophrenic. My family and I recently buried a cousin of mine who suffered horribly from it.

Yes, there is a risk that a mentally ill person will get weird ideas about religion, but this can be minimized with good professional help and spiritual direction. It would be wrong to deprive the person of whatever chance they might have to learn about God by telling them to forget about religion entirely. In the grand scheme of things, the one advantage your mentally healthy atheist would have would be that if they did receive the gift of faith, and be able and willing to accept it, they could internalize it without risk of going overboard.
Oh gosh, scrupulosity. It was awful when I suffered it. It did things to me. I can honestly say it almost caused me to lose sanity, and I’m not kidding. It was extremely emotionally damaging to me.

But as it’s been said, it’s not reflective of religion itself. Actually, I can tell it was all engineered diabolically.
I was close to suicidal at one point with my scruples. :bighanky:
I love it how the author juxtaposes religion and enjoyment of life. And religion and life in general. It is obvious that religion is just an activity for the author, like sports or being a member of a club.
Going back to my first paragraph, I think the problem is that the article is trying to summarize a big problem in a short space, and the tone comes across a little like what you’re saying. In writing popular helpful articles about health or automotive maintenance or anything commonplace, sometimes oversimplification (or repeating what a dozen other similar articles on the subject tend to say) is a common pitfall.
 
How many of our “mystics” here on these forums (those that claim some vision or attack) may be displaying these same signs?

I once treated (as a mental health professional) a number of people who claimed to be able to see, hear or “sense” supernatural beings. After a while I realized they all had one thing in common - they were bored. They didn’t work outside of their home. They were “church isolated” - meaning all their friends and social contacts were faith based.

Some may label these people as schizo-affective, however, I have found that these types of behaviors in adults are oftentimes harmless. They usually just need a more full and balanced life - and maybe a job or non-faith-based volunteer work.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top