Candidate rejects Church teaching

  • Thread starter Thread starter Koopa
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Koopa

Guest
OK, I’ll try to be brief.

Basically, we have a candidate (going to become catholic) at our church who is young and does not properly understand Church teaching, and so rejects its teaching on abortion and homosexual activity and obstinately maintains that she will never be convinced otherwise. The problem may have been addressed by our DRE, who is aware of her views, but that’s not stopping her from going forward with the process. Thankfully I am on friendly terms with our DRE, so I plan on speaking to her about this. It is my perception that she (DRE) does not think one needs to be in agreement with church teaching in order to become Catholic. Of course, one MUST agree with Catholic teaching to receive the sacraments of Communion and Confirmation, so she is incorrect.

What documents can I show her to confirm this? I am very disturbed that this process is being pushed through (likely with reluctance on the part of the candidate) when the candidate is not ready to be received into the Church. I have looked myself but perhaps it would be easier for someone more familiar with RCIA to find something. I did find this,

“I believe and profess all that the holy Catholic Church believes, teaches, and proclaims to be revealed by God” (professed by the candidate upon the event of reception into the Church)

which really should suffice in proving that the candidate should not go through with this, but I am afraid this will be somehow brushed off. Are there any other documents I can cite with legitimate ecclesiastic authority?

Thank you, thank you! 👍:D:)
 
The candidate makes the profession not the DRE. The problem is in the free will of the candidate and rests between the candidate and god. It is simply not your issue, and really not the DRE’s issue other than the DRE has a responsibility to inform the candidate of the Church teaching. This happens all the time. The first person who takes communion at our church is a second marriage (no annulment) guy has who been arrested for some really ugly crimes. He never follows rules. But I guess if anybody needs to be in church it is him. Those people are in every communion line, and the church has issued guidelines to the priests on the issue. Btw the DRE usually informs the priest about these issues. The priest typically offers private council and the individual typically rationalize the issue. (it is known as the sin of presumption)

In any case remember she probably needs the church more than most
 
OK, I’ll try to be brief.

Basically, we have a candidate (going to become catholic) at our church who is young and does not properly understand Church teaching, and so rejects its teaching on abortion and homosexual activity and obstinately maintains that she will never be convinced otherwise. The problem may have been addressed by our DRE, who is aware of her views, but that’s not stopping her from going forward with the process. Thankfully I am on friendly terms with our DRE, so I plan on speaking to her about this.
it is not the perogative of the DRE, catechist or sponsor to deny or allow a candidate to proceed to confirmation, that belongs ONLY to the pastor, so the candidate should be referred to him for an interview, and the DRE will voice her concerns when she makes that referral. If that has been done you may assume the DRE is following the pastor’s decision.
 
OK, I’ll try to be brief.

Basically, we have a candidate (going to become catholic) at our church who is young and does not properly understand Church teaching, and so rejects its teaching on abortion and homosexual activity and obstinately maintains that she will never be convinced otherwise. The problem may have been addressed by our DRE, who is aware of her views, but that’s not stopping her from going forward with the process. Thankfully I am on friendly terms with our DRE, so I plan on speaking to her about this. It is my perception that she (DRE) does not think one needs to be in agreement with church teaching in order to become Catholic. Of course, one MUST agree with Catholic teaching to receive the sacraments of Communion and Confirmation, so she is incorrect.

What documents can I show her to confirm this? I am very disturbed that this process is being pushed through (likely with reluctance on the part of the candidate) when the candidate is not ready to be received into the Church. I have looked myself but perhaps it would be easier for someone more familiar with RCIA to find something. I did find this,

“I believe and profess all that the holy Catholic Church believes, teaches, and proclaims to be revealed by God” (professed by the candidate upon the event of reception into the Church)

which really should suffice in proving that the candidate should not go through with this, but I am afraid this will be somehow brushed off. Are there any other documents I can cite with legitimate ecclesiastic authority?

Thank you, thank you! 👍:D:)
An interview with the Candidate, her Sponsor and the Pastor is in order, (name removed by moderator)ut from the RCIA team and DRE should be welcome but they are not part of the interview and decision process.
 
“Thus says the Lord who made you, your help, who formed you from the womb: Fear not, O Jacob, my servant, the darling whom I have chosen.”
Isaiah 44:2

'“You formed my inmost being; you knit me in my mother’s womb. I praise you, so wonderfully you made me; wonderful are your works! My very self you knew; my bones were not hidden from you; when I was being made in secret, fashioned as in the depths of the earth. Your eyes foresaw my actions; in your nook all are written down; my days were shaped, before one came to be.”
Psalm 139:13-16

“Those merciless murderers of children, and parents who took with their own hands defenseless lives, you willed to destroy by the hands of our fathers, that the land that is dearest of all to you might recieve a worthy colony of God’s children.”
Wisdom 12:5-7

“You shall not murder.”
Exodus 20:13

“True, I was born guilty, a sinner, even as my mother conceived me.”
Psalm 52:7…signifying that the person’s eternal soul was already there at conception
 
Loving God we praise and thank You for every human person whom You have loved into existence. Flood Your blessings upon all who welcome and nurture those whom You breathe everlasting souls. Grant that each of us lives fully Your commandments of love, Your gift of Your love to Your human creations.

We have received the opportunity to live our lives enriching others’ lives, yet some of our sisters and brothers suffer their lives to be stolen from them, even before they are born.
Father we ask that You grant Your Angels such great power over this world that they can stand between our little ones and their murder.

Have mercy upon those who through fear, pressure, or convenience, procure and those who preform the killing of Your precious children. Please pardon and heal them of this great wound in their spirits.

Have pity on us, our God, for the loss of so many valuable persons to our world. We are poorer not only for the sin of their murder, but also because they are our sister and brothers, intended as our family, our spouse, our teachers, our leaders, our friends, our community for all eternity.

Loving God, let it be known throughout the world that from the moment of conception a human person is granted life with an immortal soul, loved by Your for all eternity, and whose life no other human has the right to rob from them.
 
My respose here is of absolutely no help to you, but for the life of me I can’t understand why folks like this want to become Catholic when there are so many denominations that would be a better fit.

It’s like they have no respect for their God as they see him.
 
An interview with the Candidate, her Sponsor and the Pastor is in order, (name removed by moderator)ut from the RCIA team and DRE should be welcome but they are not part of the interview and decision process.
The major point to be taken here is that this interview MUST take place - this person should not be allowed to proceed without authorization from the pastor.

~Liza
 
Perhaps I should clarify a little. This candidate is very young and she honestly does not understand the Catholic Church. I do not feel that she is doing this completely on her own initiative. I understand that it is her decision and not the DRE’s, but I am concerned that the DRE is not telling the candidate that it is a grave to receive Communion and Confirmation when she is not in good standing with the Church. I have seen enough evidence to convince me that this process is getting pushed through by the DRE without full consent of the candidate. For example, I have told the candidate that she cannot receive Communion and Confirmation while rejecting church teaching (we are friends), and she seemed at least to listen. At our last youth group meeting, focused on her reception into the Church, she told said aloud to everyone that “I’ll never change my mind on that abortion and gay marriage stuff and if that’s going to stop me from being confirmed, then I can’t do it.” (which btw, was wonderful to hear, even though it pains me that she does not respect Church teaching.). And then yesterday Father announces that she has gone through the official signing process (with the Bishop… um… sorry I’m not sure exactly what that is) and has become one of the elect! Am I to assume that a massive transformation occurred between Wednesday and Saturday? Surely not. But to be fair, I will ask her about it (one never knows what God will do.)

Please, more guidance!
 
Please, no argument for/against abortion or homosexuality in this thread. The OP needs advice on how to handle this situation, which is the kind of questions we deal with here in the L&S forum. Please take any apologetical arguments/debates to the Apologetics forum. Thank you all.
 
Perhaps I should clarify a little. This candidate is very young and she honestly does not understand the Catholic Church. I do not feel that she is doing this completely on her own initiative. I understand that it is her decision and not the DRE’s, but I am concerned that the DRE is not telling the candidate that it is a grave to receive Communion and Confirmation when she is not in good standing with the Church. I have seen enough evidence to convince me that this process is getting pushed through by the DRE without full consent of the candidate. For example, I have told the candidate that she cannot receive Communion and Confirmation while rejecting church teaching (we are friends), and she seemed at least to listen. At our last youth group meeting, focused on her reception into the Church, she told said aloud to everyone that “I’ll never change my mind on that abortion and gay marriage stuff and if that’s going to stop me from being confirmed, then I can’t do it.” (which btw, was wonderful to hear, even though it pains me that she does not respect Church teaching.). And then yesterday Father announces that she has gone through the official signing process (with the Bishop… um… sorry I’m not sure exactly what that is) and has become one of the elect! Am I to assume that a massive transformation occurred between Wednesday and Saturday? Surely not. But to be fair, I will ask her about it (one never knows what God will do.)

Please, more guidance!
Well for one it is her Sponsor’s place to be speaking with her and advising the DRE and Pastor of her not being ready.

It becomes confusing because Only a unBaptized person signs the book and becomes an Elect, while she is talking about being Confirmed and receiving Holy communion, but nothing about Baptism.
 
Well for one it is her Sponsor’s place to be speaking with her and advising the DRE and Pastor of her not being ready.

It becomes confusing because Only a unBaptized person signs the book and becomes an Elect, while she is talking about being Confirmed and receiving Holy communion, but nothing about Baptism.
Hmm. You are right. And today Father referred to her as a “catechumen,” which is not technically accurate if she has been baptized (I believe also that she is being received at Easter Vigil, which also would not be entirely proper). Perhaps I am mistaken that she was baptized? Either way, the problem remains.

Thank you for your advice. I think I will speak to her sponsor.

God bless!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top