Candles for the bread and wine

• Thread starter Thread starter bob
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bob

At a church, they have a elaborate procession of bringing up the unconsecrated bread and wine during offertory. This procession is headed by two altar boys with lighted candles.

Is this wrong? Don’t we use candles only for the Word or the Real Presence?

:confused:

40.png
bob:
At a church, they have a elaborate procession of bringing up the unconsecrated bread and wine during offertory. This procession is headed by two altar boys with lighted candles.

Is this wrong? Don’t we use candles only for the Word or the Real Presence?

:confused:
I would agree. This sounds like a local custom, likely brewed-up by your “liturgy committee.”

Bob,

I’m not sure what you mean by an elaborate procession, but the presenting of gifts is covered in GIRM #140. Also, in Redemptionis Sacramentum #70, “In order to preserve the dignity of the Sacred Liturgy, in any event, the external offerings should be brought forward in an appropriate manner.”

Two altar servers with candles seems appropriate to me. We use two altar servers, but no candles.

Dan

I would guess that there were probably candles lit at the last supper.

40.png
dantheman:
Bob,

I’m not sure what you mean by an elaborate procession, but the presenting of gifts is covered in GIRM #140. Also, in Redemptionis Sacramentum #70, “In order to preserve the dignity of the Sacred Liturgy, in any event, the external offerings should be brought forward in an appropriate manner.”

Two altar servers with candles seems appropriate to me. We use two altar servers, but no candles.

Dan
Wafers and wine are neither the Most Blessed Sacrament, nor are they the word of God. There really should be some distinction or otherwise the pomp becomes meaningless.

Having candles for the bread and wine seems to me like giving the presidential candidate a 21-gun salute before he even got elected.

😦

Dear Bob,

At Ordination Masses and other solemn occasions at which I’ve served, we’ve used incense and candles (more often, just incense) for the procession with the gifts. By “we” I am including some very adept and liturgically precise people like Archbishop Burke of St. Louis, who would never do anything questionable when it comes to Mass. So, while I wouldn’t expect such an elaborate procession for every Mass, it isn’t wrong. We often see candles in the entrance/recessional procession, too. The gifts, after all, do represent us and our prayers.

I wouldn’t be concerned about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back