Canon of Scripture open to add?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Montie_Claunch
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Montie_Claunch

Guest
I was wondering, at the Council of Trent I know that the Church offically difined the canon but, was it a this is canon and that’s final or one could consider some other early writings canon as they (some of the early Church) did with the epistle to the Corinthians from Clement of Rome? Thanks and God bless.
 
The canon is closed. Epistles like that of Clement are not included. Any new discoveries of old writings also would not get included. I believe that one of the requirements may have been that the author had to be someone who personally knew Jesus or the apostles.
 
I was wondering, at the Council of Trent I know that the Church offically difined the canon but, was it a this is canon and that’s final or one could consider some other early writings canon as they (some of the early Church) did with the epistle to the Corinthians from Clement of Rome? Thanks and God bless.
The canon of the New Testament was closed in 405 AD by Pope St. Innocent I. The canon of the Old Testament was closed at the Council of Trent.

Jimmy Akin is wrong about a lot of things. Stick to the Catechism, and listen to your Bishop. 😉
 
The canon of the Old Testament was closed at the Council of Trent.
What did the Council of Trent say that closed the canon? In my brief examinations, it seems only to declare to certain books are inspired, not that all other books are not inspired.

Jeremy
 
Hi Montie,

It is important to understand that the canon of Scripture has been determined by the Church, which recognized that it had “received” these books as Scripture. The Church did not examine the books to determine whether they sounded inspired. In other words the Church did not use interior criteria (the content) but exterior criteria (testimony). What determined whether a writing was Scripture was apostolic origin.

Now the apostles are dead and they have said all they will say. In a deeper theological sense, Jesus is the Word. He has said everything that is to be said and then “went back” to the Father. He is not coming back until the end of the world.

Verbum
 
Hi Montie,

Re-reading my post, I realized that I used the wrong terminology. One speaks of internal and external criteria, not interior and exterior.

Verbum
 
What did the Council of Trent say that closed the canon?
But if any one receive not, as sacred and canonical, the said books entire with all their parts, as they have been used to be read in the Catholic Church, and as they are contained in the old Latin vulgate edition; and knowingly and deliberately contemn the traditions aforesaid; let him be anathema.

history.hanover.edu/texts/trent/ct04.html
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top