Canonise Alessandro Serenelli?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TarkanAttila
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TarkanAttila

Guest
You know. St. Maria Goretti’s killer?

It looks like he really turned his life around. Mind, he depended on his “angel” to get as far as he did. But what do you think? Do you think someone should open his cause for canonisation?
 
You know. St. Maria Goretti’s killer?

It looks like he really turned his life around. Mind, he depended on his “angel” to get as far as he did. But what do you think? Do you think someone should open his cause for canonisation?
Remember that God’s ways aren’t our ways. There are many saints in Heaven who, if left to popular vote by us, would have been condemned to Hell. I say that if they can find that he lived a heroic life of virtue after turning his life around, absolutely canonize him!
 
I would not object. From all I’ve read, he did turn his life around. His canonization would give hope to many, like those who currently feel trapped in sin, but it might scandalize others, like some victims of violent crimes. It isn’t up to me, but I would have no problem with it.
 
You know. St. Maria Goretti’s killer?

It looks like he really turned his life around. Mind, he depended on his “angel” to get as far as he did. But what do you think? Do you think someone should open his cause for canonisation?
Did he live a virtuous life to a heroic degree?
 
I would not object. From all I’ve read, he did turn his life around. His canonization would give hope to many, like those who currently feel trapped in sin, but it might scandalize others, like some victims of violent crimes. It isn’t up to me, but I would have no problem with it.
I see what you mean; to some that would be like canonising Alexander the Borgia, or Benedict IX, I suppose.

I believe his story. I also believe anyone who has been traumatised by rape etc. needs to remember: Maria forgave her rapist. That means, in her eyes, he was also just as needing and worthy of God’s love as anyone. It did not make him a worse human in her eyes.

But I understand emotions are strange things, and maybe not everyone wants to hear that.

Whatever the Church feels is prudent.
 
I see what you mean; to some that would be like canonising Alexander the Borgia, or Benedict IX, I suppose.

I believe his story. I also believe anyone who has been traumatised by rape etc. needs to remember: Maria forgave her rapist. That means, in her eyes, he was also just as needing and worthy of God’s love as anyone. It did not make him a worse human in her eyes.

But I understand emotions are strange things, and maybe not everyone wants to hear that.

Whatever the Church feels is prudent.
That Maria forgave her attacker is part of what makes Maria a saint, not Alessandro. For him to be canonized, it must be proven the HE lived the Christian virtues to a heroic degree, even if after he attacked Maria.
 
That Maria forgave her attacker is part of what makes Maria a saint, not Alessandro. For him to be canonized, it must be proven the HE lived the Christian virtues to a heroic degree, even if after he attacked Maria.
Thank you for demonstrating my point. You ever read his story?
 
I would contend that Alessandro Serenelli did repent to a heroic degree just as much as St Moses the Black did.

After his release from prison, Serenelli spent some time working on various farms. Whenever it became known that he was Maria’s killer, he would inevitably be dismissed.

One time while Serenelli was in a field, the wife of the farmer whose land he was working tried to seduce him. When he resisted her advances, she said something like, “Are you now so righteous that you would resist me? You, the one who killed that little girl when she wouldn’t give you what I am freely offering you?” Upon hearing this, Serenelli himself fled! - If this isn’t considered heroic proof of repentance then what would you require? He didn’t even go back for his wages or belongings but ran away with only the clothes on his back.

Serenelli personally apologised to Assunta (Maria’s mother) and all her siblings. Assunta took him by the hand into the local church on Christmas Day and, upon approaching the communion rail, Serenelli turned around and publically asked the forgiveness of the whole town (on that most crowded of days).

It’s well known that Serenelli spent his latter years as a Third Order Capuchin keeping the gardens of the monastery.

While I can’t find any current website for or reference to them, his story inspired Paul Rasavage, OCDS to found the Serenellians, an apostolate dedicated to praying for and helping those addicted to sins of the flesh.
On that note, can tell me how to get in touch with Rasavage (or whoever else may be running that group now)? I’ve tried contacting his old work but they couldn’t help.

In my opinion, canonising Alessandro Serenelli would be of great benefit to the many people who find themselves without a role model of repentance among the saints, having begun their lives in ways like his.
 
Also, at least some sources say that St Maria (when she appeared to him) promised him a place with her in heaven. This would seem to be a fairly strong reason for contending for his sainthood.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top